NBC needs to be pushed to show opening ceremony live!

It's a tradition in Australia to broadcast the Olympic ceremonies live: and part of the ritual is waking up at some weird hour to see what's going on in another part of the world .

That's the problem in the United States.. unlike much of the rest of the world (including Europe), we're not going to rearrange our schedules even for something as big as the Olympics. And I understand where NBC doesn't want to show it live in the middle of the afternoon only to show the re-run in primetime, but at least they should have made it live online so that those who want to experience it that way have that option.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also in Australia they tend broadcast the ceremony live, and then repeat it at a prime time for those who missed it.

And I don't even think they get much ratings at all when the live broadcast is on in the middle of the night, early hours of the morning. The prime time replay gets by far the most eyeballs. But it would be considered disrespectful to the families and friends of athletes stuck at "home" if their big moment wasn't shown live.

A few comments flying around about NBC cutting out the tribute which unofficially acknowledged the victims of 7/7, though officially to all those lost by people in the stadium, notably Danny Boyle's dad who would have been 90 yesterday.

Just wrong NBC, wrong. I don't care so much about the tribute aspect (though it is completely disrespectful), but as part of the ceremony the changes in tones and the mixture of spectacle, comedy and solemn moments were all part of the narrative.

A few comments flying around about NBC cutting out the tribute which unofficially acknowledged the victims of 7/7, though officially to all those lost by people in the stadium, notably Danny Boyle's dad who would have been 90 yesterday.

Just wrong NBC, wrong. I don't care so much about the tribute aspect (though it is completely disrespectful), but as part of the ceremony the changes in tones and the mixture of spectacle, comedy and solemn moments were all part of the narrative.

You know, one tribute was enuf. WHy should there still have been a 2nd one? I didn't miss the 2nd one in the reshow. ANd now knowing that Boyle's father was in it, really irks me. What is this? The Danny Boyle Family show? His neighborhood...his dad... What next? His childhood friends? Jeez! It's a show about the Olympics...not friggin' Danny Boyle's life!! NBC was right to cut out the 2nd tribute thing.

Do you even like the Olympics? All you seem to do is moan (about everything), hiding behind the arrogance your username gives you.

Why? Why do you complain about how LOCOG is handling the cauldron thing? I'm fine with it.

Or is it just because I point out the out-of-proportion and imbalance paid to certain matters? I just don't have Boyle-worship and I am OK with them keeping the cauldron inside.

Umm he IS the author of that little book shown in his signature and was part of the Atlanta ceremonies based on his youtube video. You gotta respect him, but this is Danny Boyle we're talking about. Any other competent British Director would have gone without the needless overt Indian references, perhaps even that "Abide with me" and Memorial Wall part.

Maybe since they refused the moment of silence for the Israeli 1972 athlete's NBC didn't think they should show the other moment of silence either?

Archived