Sign in to follow this  
gotosy

Rio 2016 Look of the Games

Don't take everything so literally, Mr. Danny. I was talking in the sense of this thread. How you're alone debating with your foreign friends.

Anyways, I heard you're a rich executive from globo, so.. gibe me money plx!

Don't take everything so literally, Mr. Danny. I was talking in the sense of this thread. How you're alone debating with your foreign friends.

Anyways, I heard you're a rich executive from globo, so.. gibe me money plx!

It seems sometimes you don't get irony, sarcasm and even cross-argumentation. Indeed, very common among my "foreign friends"

About my job, probably you're in better situation than me. ;)

One of the things I'm interested in seeing is how Rio will translate their look into 3D spaces. I think we're already seeing hints in the renders of the Olympic Park, with the twisting walkway through the centre with its graphics embedded, similar to what London did with its grid and shard pattern emanating from the stadium onto the Park concourse. Also if they are using the logo as a starting point it will be interesting to see how this is extrapolated into 3D gantries, signage and wayfinding pieces. London was clever in that the nature of its linear triangular look meant architectural structures were easy to physically implement within their budget, more complex curves might be a larger challenge for Rio. Whatever they do, I just hope it is even more imaginative in terms of its scope on the field of play and pushes the level of integration even further than London managed.

• Like 1

It seems sometimes you don't get irony, sarcasm and even cross-argumentation. Indeed, very common among my "foreign friends"

About my job, probably you're in better situation than me. ;)

No, Mr. Danny. With all due respect, it's quite the contrary, kiddo.

Huh? I thought you were a funck singer with all these necklaces and rings...

Aren't they using giant 3D versions of the dummy in their wayfinding?

Edit: From my username, you may think I'm a small, friendly, rideable green dinosaur.

Rio 2016 launches Olympic and Paralympic pictograms

grids.png

The Rio 2016 Organising Committee for the Olympic and Paralympic Games today launches its sport pictograms, continuing the tradition of each edition of the Games defining the sports on its programme through graphic icons.
“For the first time, all Olympic and Paralympic sports are individually represented. This is one of our unique contributions to the history of the Games,” said Carlos Arthur Nuzman, the President of the Rio 2016 Organising Committee.
During the creative process for the Paralympic pictograms, Rio 2016’s team of designers sought to portray the integration of the athletes’ different impairments with sport in a balanced, natural way, depicting prostheses, blindfolds and other elements.
The word ‘pictogram’ comes from Greek and Latin. Originally, it means ‘painted word’. This original meaning was the source of inspiration for the first strokes of the Rio 2016 pictograms, which were based on the official Rio 2016 typography.
After researching each sport, the first strokes were made by hand. These strokes were then reconstructed on a computer, fitting the contours of the letters. The athlete bodies and sports equipment were built from the characters, or part of them, in a continuous stroke, with variations in thickness in order to give the impression of depth. The pebble shapes, which are a characteristic of Rio 2016’s visual language, support the designs and alter their shape according to the athletes’ different movements.
Work was completed in 16 months, five of which were devoted to the validation of the pictograms by the 42 International Federations. In total, there are 64 pictograms, 41 Olympic and 23 Paralympic.
The pictograms can be used both inside and outside the pebbles, in all colours. Rio 2016 Brand Director Beth Lula said they are important tools for engaging the public from an early stage. “The pictograms, from now until 2016, will serve as a communication platform for the promotion of the sports, for partner activations, and will be present in all the Games’ visual identity, including their application in venue decoration, signposting, tickets and licensed products, among other things,” she said.

pictos_alexferro_28102013-6107.jpg

The development of Rio 2016 pictograms (Photo: Alex Ferro)

The origin of the strokes: the Rio 2016 font
The development project of the Rio 2016 font, launched in July 2012, was one of the innovations of the Games’ branding programme. The typographic concept, developed by Dalton Maag, was inspired by the letters and numbers of the Rio 2016 logo and the essence of the Games — passion and transformation — which links the Olympic and Paralympic brands.
Based on the contours of Rio, the font represents elements such as the calçadão de Copacabana (Copacabana promenade), which is depicted in the letters ‘m’ and ‘n’, and the Pedra da Gávea (a mountain in Rio de Janeiro), which is depicted in the letter ‘r’. The letters are drawn with a single, continuous stroke, an agile and fluid movement that suggests the movement of athletes.
The Rio 2016 Organising Committee for the Olympic and Paralympic Games opted to set up an internal design team for the creation of the Games’ main graphic elements, probably one of the world’s most complex design projects. In addition to the designers, a group of 28 other Rio 2016 staff were directly involved in the development of the pictograms.
  • Like 1

/\/\ yeah, I think the PanAm pictos are more dynamic and distinctive compared to the Olys. The 2016 Olys look too generic.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

interesting paper on the history of olympic pictograms: http://pjim.newschool.edu/issues/2012/04/pdfs/ParsonsJournalForInformationMapping_Kim_SoJung.pdf

(I also found the London 2012 Olympic pictogram guidelines on Google: http://doc.rero.ch/record/32700/files/Olympic_Pictogram_Guidelines_May_2009.pdf )

• Like 1

interesting paper on the history of olympic pictograms: http://pjim.newschool.edu/issues/2012/04/pdfs/ParsonsJournalForInformationMapping_Kim_SoJung.pdf

(I also found the London 2012 Olympic pictogram guidelines on Google: http://doc.rero.ch/record/32700/files/Olympic_Pictogram_Guidelines_May_2009.pdf )

Great find, Martijn!! Thanks for sharing.

I still think the Grenoble and Lillehammer pictos are the best of the lot.

I think the 2016 pictograms are superb. Very unique and beautifully cohesive.

Although I like the Pan Am pictograms as well (mainly because of the color) I think the monochromatic approach will work better for the Olympics within the context of the whole look. It allows for more flexibility. The multicolored pictograms stand alone well, but would be more difficult to integrate and could easily seem too busy.

Nice start, Rio.

I love the rounded triangular forms.

• Like 1

Outstanding job Rio!

Really nice shapes, the figures look natural and not cartoony or infantile (lookin' at you Sochi), the calligraphic lines on the bikes and horses are nicely drawn and add some character to the design.

No complaints from me.

Very safe approach. A little meh compared to the very dynamic 3D logos. but it's good Rio 2016 is balancing the design elements without trying too hard to be innovative...

I liked it a lot. It represents much the logo, the type font and the curves of Rio, and IMO will work amazingly with the whole concept.

The "freedom" of colours can be very interesting if well used.

The superb fact is on the paralympic pictograms. They are simply perfect. Handicapped people were represented with grace and it became even more interesting than the olympic ones...

Rio is doing great with the look of the games so far. That's nice.

I love these making of pictures... They turned out good, but I still think the Pan Am pictograms were better...

2007051610_PictogramasRio2007.jpg

These were great and worked very well with all PanAms concept.