Sign in to follow this  
gotosy

Rio 2016 Look of the Games

When I was in Casa Brazil, I noticed to following design used a lot around, and one of the souvenirs I bought, a notebook, also used it. I wonder if this is an early indication of the "Look":

riolook003.jpg

riolook001.jpg

I liked this design, but it's too simple and too early for unveliing the Look of the games.

For sure, we will have some carnaval of colors in the arenas...

When I was in Casa Brazil, I noticed to following design used a lot around, and one of the souvenirs I bought, a notebook, also used it. I wonder if this is an early indication of the "Look":

riolook003.jpg

riolook001.jpg

I really hope not. I'm sort of ok with that classic Rio pavement design -- in small doses. However, the squiggly lines creating the pattern remind me of some sort of flesh-eating bacteria.

I truly loved Rio's bid logo that appeared to be inspired by a monstera leaf. I'd love to see them evoke that type of design in their Look. It could be stunning.

• Like 1

perhaps we can make competition on rio look..its gonna be awesome'

Lets do it, I would love to play with this design, just the process of creating the look for fun would be an interesting process.

tumblr_m8czwgzb1c1rcjc63o1_1280.png

I doubt it will be like this. This is just some strange close-ups of the logo.

I think this will be the look 'til the official one be released.

Looks a bit like close-ups of swiss cheese....

<_<

^^True!!! Now I like this even more!

riolook003.jpg

riolook001.jpg

It's so old-lady, faggy, crochet-like. Not dynamic enough.

It reminds me of Athens' Look in that it's an abstract representation of a pattern found in the host's environment. Athens' was vase patterns, Rio' is street mosaics.

That's always a good starting point; designers going out into the street and bring back into the studio what they see.

• Like 2

It reminds me of Athens' Look in that it's an abstract representation of a pattern found in the host's environment. Athens' was vase patterns, Rio' is street mosaics.

That's always a good starting point; designers going out into the street and bring back into the studio what they see.

I love this video and the look achieved for Vancouver, the look saved the design of the games as the logo itself was a bit bland. (Let me clarify I like the innukshuk idea just wish it was more stylised and maybed reworked the way the paralympic and torch relay logos were - which were so much better..)

Vanlogo.jpg

Compared to:

Vancouver_2010_Paralympics.png

route_community.JPG

I really think copybook has not much related to the final look of the games.

It's just merchandise.

About Paralympic Logo - Truly, the most special one EVER!

http://www.designweek.co.uk/industry-voice/designing-the-rio-2016-olympics/3035053.article

DesignWeek: How did you develop this into an identity?

Fred Gelli, Tatil Design: We decided to express in this logo not the thing that represents our difference, but exactly the opposite – what we have in common. We decided to use two icons. One is the heart, and the other is the infinity symbol, to represent the infinite energy of the athletes. When you put this together you have a heart that beats with infinite energy. We also decided that this logo should be multisensory – for everybody. First of all it’s a 3D logo, so it already incorporates touch. To that we added a sound – a heartbeat. Connected to the sculpture is a subwoofer with vibrations, so deaf people can feel it and there is also a rhythmic light in it. We’re working on creating a smell too…

DW: Wow!

FG: There was a very emotional moment on the launch day. Ádria Santos – she’s a Brazilian Paralympic runner who has been blind since birth - when she arrived at the logo she started to touch it and felt the vibrations and she started to cry, and sure I cried too, and she said that was the first time in her career that she could feel the symbol of her life, she has been running in the Paralympics for 20 years. She said when she listened to the heartbeat she felt like it was for her heartbeat. We couldn’t have imagined that sort of response.

Marca-Paralmpica-Rio-201_322.jpg

The entire interview worths a read.

Also, because IOC asked Rio to avoid many things London did with their logo... :o

How often are people going to be able to see it with all the sound and vibration stuff?

Surely that's all very minimal since 99% of the time people will see it on branding and merchandise - as a flat image.

Well, you can sell t-shirts with the smell or in relief...

The concept is: you can touch and feel... No matter the way.

It seems in Casa Brasil, the logo can be touched and you listen the heart pulsating.

^^I think if the effect of allowing disable people to feel the logo works, all efforts worthed.

Seems like a big gimmick to me.

Most stuff is.

The London logo is exactly the same, they portrayed it as a buzzing logo representing energy - but most of the time, it's a flat image.

Rio is taking a different tact, but the *different* concept is still the same.

True enough...

Most of time we will see the logos in walls and papers...