Rio 2016 Look of the Games

The small capacity, the blue seats on top of blue walls on top of blue track on top of blue ground mixed with sooo much grey with the concrete and roof just looks depressing on TV. So too does the all-grey concrete exterior. Even just changing the track to typical red/orange would bring some life to it. The lack of banners/plants and the non-working corner tower screens doesn't help.

So I had wondered if athletics attendance would suffer when competing with Brazilian Mens football, and it seems I was on point!

atrocious.jpg

This is the crowd Mo Farah, Galen Rupp, the Heptathletes, and the W 100m runners will see. Good job Brazil, your chances to impress are gone.

7 minutes ago, Dylanlip said:

Então, eu me perguntava se o atletismo atendimento sofreria ao competir com o futebol dos homens brasileira, e parece que eu estava no ponto!

atrocious.jpg

Esta é a multidão Mo Farah, Galen Rupp, os Heptathletes, e os corredores W 100m verá. Bom trabalho Brasil, suas chances de impressionar sumiram.

What motivates most Brazilians is to see the national delegation. What name Brazil has in athletics worth paying the very expensive sessions playoffs ?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dylanlip said:

So I had wondered if athletics attendance would suffer when competing with Brazilian Mens football, and it seems I was on point!

atrocious.jpg

This is the crowd Mo Farah, Galen Rupp, the Heptathletes, and the W 100m runners will see. Good job Brazil, your chances to impress are gone.

This image must be from earlier. Now in the live transmission the stadium looks almost full.

Okay - a very nice little touch I'm seeing at the athletics. The runners for a 400m Heat are being introduced by going through a samba line of instrumentalists as they're names are announced. A really nice splash of local colour. I could have seen this used a bit more at other venues. It's little touches like this that can add to the sense of location.and moment.

49 minutes ago, Dylanlip said:

Aaaaaaand 50% capacity for the Mens Singles Tennis Final. Kinda gives a grim picture for what might happen tonight in athletics.

And to think, some of us thought that a 60k athletics stadium for an Olympics game wouldn't be big enough. At this level they should have kept it at pan american games seating capacity lol

"We still have an issue with look of the Games and signage," said the IOC's Olympic Games Executive Director, Christophe Dubi. "What they have faced is a very unfortunate situation."

"They (banners, signs) could not be delivered on time and they had to change providers. Many things should have been installed and could not," Dubi said.

According to organizers, contractors failed to deliver the banners on time with only a fraction of them displayed across the city, stadiums and other Olympic areas.

enhanced-30731-1436527800-1.jpg

Edited by paul

1 hour ago, hektor said:

What do you think of the Victory ceremonies ?

I miss the John Williams fanfare or the Chariots of Fire theme... 

I miss the flowers - those status look ridiculous. And I think the podium itself looks really cheap.

The music is more dramatic than London, I like it. And the outfits for the presentation team are very sharp.

The podium is a bit over the top with the ecology/nature thing but overall i didn't thought it was cheap. At least not compared to the disaster which was the whole usage of this brand which i'm afraid it will go down as one of the most forgettable ever.

And not because the look itself was terrible, no. I think all of us here loved the look when it was first unveiled. It was how it was applied and all the cheapness/excuses to set up everything which killed all the potential. 

To me it seems as they are just not ready and had no time to instal the look elements in a proper way. The "Second week Venues"  (i.e. Veoldrom or Olympic Stadium) do ways look better then the aquatic center or the arenas.

Back in 2012 I was not addicted to London: Horrible Logo, terrible mascots and ugly torch. But London put all the graphic elements together in a consistent and stringent way - all their venues looked amazing and special. Rios arenas look boring and in some ways just uninspirational and just bland. It simply does not work. 

To me Athens and London did an outstanding job and Rio is disapointing. Nothing special at al and they could have done better in every way.