Rio 2016 Look of the Games

So far it has been a hit and miss. Good typography, nice colors, but they were applied a bit poorly in some venues while in others they work fine. Not mentioning the incompetence of still setting them up just hours before the Opening Ceremony. 

Green is the dominant color of this brand. I think Atlanta and Vancouver looks (two favorites of mine) also had green as the dominant color.

I don't see many banners or anything clever or significant around the city streets. Very disappointing for an Olympic city. Also have STILL not seen banner or much street trim even in the Barra park! unacceptable.

The weather seems to be very beautiful and sunny, the city looks stunning, but RIO.................we just want some decoration....it's really not nice.

It's a shame that the side decorations in most of the venues are missing. :(

In the football arenas, there are almost no boards on the side of the field.

In the olympic stadium, there are boards only on the field. There are absolutely NO decorations on the upper audience. there's only raw concrete. The same happens in the tennis court. No decorations on the upper audience either. It's so ugly and makes the arenas so poor.

Does anyone know what's going on? I wonder if cost cuts affected the budget for the look of the games.

Honestely, it is the ugliest look of the games I've ever seen.

I was going to post on this soon. I don't think the look is ugly at all, and I'm not noticing the bare concrete you mention. But, and this is totally subjective of course,  I'm not finding the overall look very memorable or striking. It's doing its job, but, I was expecting a better impact - in the lead up the graphic elements were areas I thought the Brazilians were doing particularly well. Maybe it's the colours being use - it's a real mix between all the hues. I don't mind a mix of the palettes between venues, but maybe a few could have predominated a bit more, maybe the warmer yellows or oranges. Like London did with its purples and pinks - it may not have been to everone's taste, but they were very successful in branding those games through the look. Rio just looks a bit generic to me.

• Like 1

On 04/08/2016 at 10:49 PM, Ikarus360 said:

Holy crap. You know the organization of this game really blows if they can't even get simple stuff like the Look done. But i'm sure they're going to try to defend this somehow. 

At least the Volleyball arena looks great. 

Volleyball arena seems to be complete. If you take a careful look at the banners on the side of the field, you will see that there's kinda improvise. The boards are no the the correct order. what a mess.

6 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

I was going to post on this soon. I don't think the look is ugly at all, and I'm not noticing the bare concrete you mention. But, and this is totally subjective of course,  I'm not finding the overall look very memorable or striking. It's doing its job, but, I was expecting a better impact - in the lead up the graphic elements were areas I thought the Brazilians were doing particularly well. Maybe it's the colours being use - it's a real mix between all the hues. I don't mind a mix of the palettes between venues, but maybe a few could have predominated a bit more, maybe the warmer yellows or oranges. Like London did with its purples and pinks - it may not have been to everone's taste, but they were very successful in branding those games through the look. Rio just looks a bit generic to me.

You aren't noticing the bare concrete??Just turn on the tv and tune on the channels where they show tennis and football cities. Needless to say that the olympic stadium - one of the most important venues is all concrete on the upper stands.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dan_olympic said:

You aren't noticing the bare concrete??Just turn on the tv and tune on the channels where they show tennis and football cities. Needless to say that the olympic stadium - one of the most important venues is all concrete on the upper stands.

LOL- you know, as I read your post I'm looking at a wide shot if the swimming venue, and, yes, not seeing anything on the upper tiers. I still don't think it's ugly, but I do find it a bit underwhelming and a missed (and not very expensiveto fix) opportunity for Rio.

Edited by Sir Rols

Meh, who cares. Personally, I think the look is a great design but they just didn't implement it like we're used to (or how they promoted), but honestly the sports and competitions have been great and that's what really matters. 

Rio could do more, but I'm appreciating this change of pace in the games. It brings it back to the sports. 

The sports never left, but now some of the look has. The lack of outdoor stuff and banner in the park sucks but they obviously had to cut back on the venue interiors too.

I keep wondering how much money disappeared into pockets of corrupt officials and contractors that could have been used for some some frikin' park banners!

It's really unfortunate Rio seems to have had problems with the delivery of the look. Whilst in some areas you can get away with a 'what the public don't know won't hurt them' it's annoying to see the lamp post holders actually still in place in the Olympic Park awaiting the banners. Whether these come remain to be seen.

The dressing of the venues is rather haphazard, but they seem to have got the logos and FOP look in the right places, so the media at least should be happy with their shots. Some of the actual fitting leaves a lot to be desired, there's some ill-fitting tier dressing in some venues and it doesn't seem like it has been cared for in its installation in others. The high winds in the Park damaging barriers is unfortunate but it seems there's a people and logistics problem in clearing them up.

At the end of the day its the sport that takes the priority and despite its complexities look is always seen even within most of the Organising Committees as nothing more than colour and wallpaper but it is an integral part of any Games's success. It's certainly working its magic in the colour stakes and bringing the sports to life and hopefully even though the Games have started the obvious challenges can be overcome.

mens-preliminary-round-pool-b-volleyball

general-view-of-olympic-aquatics-stadium

fans-of-colombia-during-2016-summer-olym

silver-medalists-team-france-gold-medali

crowds-are-seen-within-olympic-park-on-dan-olympic-sign-is-seen-damaged-by-high-

strong-winds-in-the-olympic-park-knock-o

general-view-of-atmosphere-is-seen-in-th

people-walk-on-an-esplanade-of-the-olymp

I'm finally getting to watch some extended coverage from outside the venues - the women's cycling road race. And I've realised that's what I've been missing - some real local colour. As I've said, indoors, the dressing all seems a bit generic to me, but when you get to see outside and see those glorious vistas and scenery, well, who needs much in the way of banner dressings! I'm a bit happier now. Hopefully can cah some rowing coverage today. And would still like to see some Copacabana daytime BV footage.

Im really not happy about the look. It all looks so amateur. It makes me realise what a brilliant job DarJoLe and the rest of the London team did dressing the venues. If you look back, they looked stunning and were consistent and professional. They really raised the bar in the branding stakes, wherever you looked you knew it was an Olympics, you knew it was London.

The Rio look isn't distinctive enough, when shown on the banners its just another set of curves. I love the typeface but the branding fails to live up to the stunning location. I thought we were getting giant 3D versions of the logo. I know there are budget issues but this is an Olympics, its the pinnacle of sporting achievement, I want it to look that way.

Edited by daveypodmore
  • Like 2

It doesn't 'pop' in the same way Athens' or London's Look did, but I don't think it's bad at all (when it's fully installed). It's similar to Beijing really; colored curves and a distinctive wordmark setting it all off. The lack of banners in the Olympic Park is quite noticeable when Clare Balding is doing her walkabouts though.

I don't usually pay too much attention to these details, at least not as much as some others here, but the tennis venue does look incredibly bare. There's the court level banners but otherwise only grey concrete. Basketball was almost equally bad. The boards at the side are like very simple individual pieces without any flowing continuity. It's not a make or break issue but you can't be so cheap that something so simple as decorating the venues should be ignored for the sake of saving a few reals. Otherwise I think the look isn't bad and looks fitting to Rio, especially the font is superb, but it isn't the most striking and memorable either. It's just a case of bad finishing and amateurism.

Diving is a total SHAMBOLIC MESS, there is not look on 1/2 the stadium (which is also 1/2 empty). The organizing committee didn't even replace the huge panels that tor off during the wind storm. The application around the platform looks totally wonky, and it's all blue but then there's a random orange panel for no reason in one spot.

This whole look is sucking azz, and yea it may not affect the competitors but overall it is affecting the quality of these games. NBC is obviously waltzing around all these visual issues and trying their best to avoid bad spots but that almost impossible.

really loosing interest now anyway...just got to Hawaii today....just look at that water, and that's probably the dirties water on Oahu at the airport!

IMG_0329.jpg

London perhaps spoiled us with such a complete and composed look but surely Rio could've at least executed the look they had. Not to detract from Brazil and Rio, but the execution and delivery of these games is just an absolute complete mess. It really is a shame that silly mistakes like these detract from Rio's ultimate moment in the sun. Rio is hands down the most beautiful location for a games but the subpar execution throughout large parts of the Games continuously dampens the mood and feel for what could've and still will be in some parts, a fantastic olympic games.

The look of the games....While it looked very promising in the renders and such, its execution here has been a hit and miss so far. Sometimes it looks colorful, sometimes it looks plain/incomplete, and sometimes it looks kind of random. London, while simple, always had consistency and despite the criticism the logo had to face, its look was very strong and vibrant despite its simpleness. Sochi, despite looking overworked sometimes, was also a beautiful look.

Looking back at the two last look of the games makes me realize even more all the faults this one has. I know Rio strong point is its nature and beauty of the city, but that doesn't means you have to do a half assed work with a brand that a lot of people on TV will be seeing. Sadly, another signal of the organization problems these games have faced so far.   

Even the Rio logo is semi nonexistent.......happily for me since i don't like it. The word mark IMO is the pinnacle of their visual identity and is absolutely sublime and exciting every time i see it. Rio lied a lot to us about what would be delivered, I remember when they were justifying the problems from their 2007 Pan Am games during the bid and saying "Oh no we will definitely deliver everything this time, all trans[port will be complete this time, crowds will not boo this time....just give us the games and we will deliver it all." I was listening then and I'm seeing what was not delivered now.  Cocky bastards got the games they deserve.