Rio 2016 Look of the Games

^^^Nice

I always have a great time in Blumenau, southern Brazil, known as "Tropical Germany".

Indeed, my Sao Paulo-native wife (yes, Victor Mata, my wife is from SP, take that) lived there when I first met her.

GAMES’ MAKERS: Carlos Jorge dos Santos, Look of the Games Manager

Department is responsible for creating a festive atmosphere at the sports and non-sports venues of the Games to ensure a memorable experience for participants

carlos-jorge.jpg

The Rio 2016™ Olympic and Paralympic Games will have a Carioca feel with the paradisiacal curvature of tropical landscapes and the Brazilian spirit. Carlos Jorge dos Santos, Look of the Games Manager of the Organising Committee, and his team will be responsible for the remaining visuals. Their mission will be to deliver a striking and inspiring visual identity, key to the memorable experience of the very first edition of the world's greatest sports event in Latin America.

Brand management will define the design and creation of graphic elements. Then, Design Management begins creative development (layouts) of all pieces composing the Look Program Technical Manual. During the process, the department evaluates new structures, proposing sustainable solutions for the production and printing of materials for all items.

“When we began working, we thought about each venue’s characteristics, keeping in mind that people want Games feeling and to record who was there. When we did the 2007 Rio Pan-American Games, many people stopped in front of the different Look elements to take pictures. The look is so important that it inspires the athletes to do their best”, points out Carlos Jorge, who has been working with the Olympic Movement since 2005.

Observations made in London

The manager was at the 2012 London Olympic Games as an observer, participating in the Look of the Games Program’s final evaluation visit of all sports venues. This is when the International Olympic Committee (IOC) requests final adjustments and approves delivery quality.

“It’s the decisive test for our department because this process occurs during the final installation stage, which is generally the most critical since time is not on our side. We can learn a lot from the British Organising Committee team”, he notes.

In London, one of the highlights was the “spectaculars” program, with large Olympic rings and Paralympic Agitos displayed at iconic locations, like Tower Bridge. Londoners and thousands of visitors could even see mapped projections on the façade of the British Parliament buildings, on the banks of the Thames, and the project lighting various bridges.

p1040440.jpg

Some of the initiatives required up to two years of negotiations with the public administration, changing the lighting colour of renowned Big Ben during the competitions. “The partnership with governments and its role in ensuring that the city becomes a setting for the Games is crucial”, he said.

New Organising Committee headquarters, the first Games delivery

The Look of the Games area’s projects are divided into three groups: the look of the Games themselves (sports and non-sports venues), the look of the city and technical consultancy provided to develop other Games-related programmes.

“Within the sports venues, great care is taken to plan the look, responding mainly to the technical requirements of each sport. London was a success story in the execution of creative projects, like the blue hockey surface outlined in hot pink”, says Carlos Jorge.

The creative concept for visual interventions in the city gives it a Games “look”, in compliance with the master concept defined by the Organising Committee. These visual interventions are approved by the IOC and the International Paralympic Committee and executed by Rio authorities and football cities. Moreover, it guides all sponsor activities.

“At a time when the city is the world´s showcase, the look strengthens the Games’ identity. It´s a great opportunity for exposure and, if realized harmoniously, it will also appeal to the city´s inhabitants. Strengthening their self-esteem and highlighting the importance of hosting the world´s largest sporting event”, he concludes.

One of the first department deliveries will be creating the setting of the new Rio 2016™ Organising Committee headquarters, located in the Centre of Rio. It is the first non-sports venue built for the Games. The locale’s visual identity will be developed by the manager’s team in partnership with the Venue Department, a job developed over one year.

Rio 2016

"key to the memorable experience of the very first edition of the world's greatest sports event in Latin America."

They must mean South America - or not consider Mexico City to be part of Latin America. Pretty sloppy given this has come directly from the organising committee.

Edited by runningrings

• 9 months later...

Rio Pictrograms to be unveiled soon

Rio 2016™ unveils what is to come in the three-year mark for the Olympic Games

In September, an important Session of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) will take place in Buenos Aires, and it will present the scope of all the events related to Rio 2016™ Olympic Games’ 28 sports (besides, of course, unveiling the next host city of the Summer Olympic Games, to be celebrated in 2020).
Unveiling the Games pictograms is one of the great surprises that we expect in the 1,000 days to go countdown, when everyone will get to know the Olympic sports with the characteristic features of the Rio 2016™ brand...

Rio 2016

"key to the memorable experience of the very first edition of the world's greatest sports event in Latin America."

They must mean South America - or not consider Mexico City to be part of Latin America. Pretty sloppy given this has come directly from the organising committee.

I agree. Especially since they weren't using "Latin America" in their campaign. Since obviously that wouldn't have been as effective as saying "South America has never hosted".

It's something that I would expect from the North American media (& maybe even the British media as well), & which I have incorrectly read from them, since they don't seem to be able to discern accurately from the two terms, &/or incorrectly think that the two are interchangable. But to come from the Brazilians Organizing Committee themselves is astounding, to say the least.

• Like 1

I agree. Especially since they weren't using "Latin America" in their campaign. Since obviously that wouldn't have been as effective as saying "South America has never hosted".

It's something that I would expect from the North American media (& maybe even the British media as well), & which I have incorrectly read from them, since they don't seem to be able to discern accurately from the two terms, &/or incorrectly think that the two are interchangable. But to come from the Brazilians Organizing Committee themselves is astounding, to say the least.

Some guy who speaks English in the Committee made the mistake, the text in Portuguese says "South America" not "Latin America"

http://rio2016.org/noticias/noticias/quem-faz-carlos-jorge-dos-santos-gerente-de-look-dos-jogos-do-comite-organizador-r

"A missão é entregar uma identidade visual marcante e inspiradora, parte fundamental da experiência memorável da primeira edição do maior evento esportivo do mundo na América do Sul."

The guy is Brazilian - their speech was probably in Portuguese - so the mistake was made by the translator guy.

Translator guy mistake, blame the translation.

Indeed, in Portuguese, there is no single mention to the term "Latin America". And curiously, this text is not available in French.

Some guy who speaks English in the Committee made the mistake, the text in Portuguese says "South America" not "Latin America"

http://rio2016.org/noticias/noticias/quem-faz-carlos-jorge-dos-santos-gerente-de-look-dos-jogos-do-comite-organizador-r

"A missão é entregar uma identidade visual marcante e inspiradora, parte fundamental da experiência memorável da primeira edição do maior evento esportivo do mundo na América do Sul."

The guy is Brazilian - their speech was probably in Portuguese - so the mistake was made by the translator guy.

Translator guy mistake, blame the translation.

Indeed, in Portuguese, there is no single mention to the term "Latin America". And curiously, this text is not available in French.

This is the same problem that arose when they labeled the stadium entrances as exits in English.

Translation isn't brain surgery and it getting it right shouldn't be that difficult. These are the Olympic Games. Correct translation is essential. Come on. This isn't asking too much.

This is the same problem that arose when they labeled the stadium entrances as exits in English.

Translation isn't brain surgery and it getting it right shouldn't be that difficult. These are the Olympic Games. Correct translation is essential. Come on. This isn't asking too much.

First. They are different services.

Some bad-paied employee of some graphical company in Salvador printed a wrong sign for Salvador's Stadium. Probably somebody who is really not used to English Language (95% of Brazilians is not and when we stick to Northeastern states, the scenario is worse, the nearest town of any foreign country is located at least 4,000 Km far from Salvador in any direction).

I would not blame this professional at all. And, after all, AGAIN: the sign was replaced IN LESS THAN 20 HOURS!

The case of Rio 2016, a TRANSLATOR PROFESSIONAL, somebody PAIED to translate made this mistake. In Brazil, most of translators are foreign people. Companies rather to hire "English native" people to translate things over Brazilians.

Probably somebody from English-speaking country made the mistake. And even if it's a Brazilian, how bad. A person paied to translate things can not change terms in the translation. That's not nice, still, very common.

You should see how funny is for us Brazilians watching documentaries about Brazil and all "funny" subtitles in English they place to translate speeches (generally, full of slangs) in Brazilian Portuguese. Sometimes is so bizarre.

After all, the text with "Latin-America" mistake is still in the website for days and days...

Edited by DannyelBrazil

PS: About Olympics and mistakes, I really hope American official broadcaster does not repeat maps with major Brazilian cities placed 4,000 km far from its correct position again...
NBC-confundiu-S%C3%A3o-Paulo-com-S%C3%A3
Sao Paulo is 40 Km far from Atlantic Ocean, not 40-hundred.

correct map:
map.brazil.sao_.paulo_.jpg

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Good to remember too how hilarious was Alias series S08E05 (called "Bob" !!!) when the characters travels to Sao Paulo:

alias_zps5eafb4a9.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Nd08Fvjew (starts in 8:20)

Suddenly Copacabana Palace Hotel was moved 300 Km west to a city with hills all around and no sea!!!
In the real world, there is not a single beach in the city of Sao Paulo

You guys are not accurate too about Brazil and our things... Don't be the first to throw rock on us because some small English mistakes... ;)

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1

And with Google Earth and Google Images around, it's not asking too much to place Sao Paulo in the correct place in the world or to not claim Brazilians speaks Spanish, "Brazilian" or Italian (!!!) like the Australian Today Show made last month...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LknWAKDO0m4

BTW, "Do Caralho" means literally "From my dick"... But who cares? Edited by DannyelBrazil

Danny, the difference is that an official press release from the Organizing Committee should be right, particularly when describing such a key point (arguably the primary reason why Rio won the right to host).

The map you posted appears to have been used by an NBC local affiliate. It's absolutely humiliating, but at least it wasn't an official Olympic release.

Good to remember too how hilarious was Alias series S08E05 (called "Bob" !!!) when the characters travels to Sao Paulo:

alias_zps5eafb4a9.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Nd08Fvjew (starts in 8:20)

Suddenly Copacabana Palace Hotel was moved 300 Km west to a city with hills all around and no sea!!!

In the real world, there is not a single beach in the city of Sao Paulo

You guys are not accurate too about Brazil and our things... Don't be the first to throw rock on us because some small English mistakes... ;)

Again. This wasn't the Organizing Committee.

I saw an episode of Alias supposedly set in Positano, Italy. They used the Green Hotel from my native Pasadena, California. I've been to Positano and there is ZERO resemblance. It's a tv show in a budget trying to make a flashy impression. It's pure fiction and has nothing to do with real life. "Alias" is not an Organizing Committee tasked with one of the most important jobs in international diplomacy -- welcoming the world in 2016.

Danny, the difference is that an official press release from the Organizing Committee should be right, particularly when describing such a key point (arguably the primary reason why Rio won the right to host).

The map you posted appears to have been used by an NBC local affiliate. It's absolutely humiliating, but at least it wasn't an official Olympic release.

It was NBC Nightly News, indeed, Brian Williams asked apologies in the next day after a bunch of tweets of mad Brazilians.

The reach of a news report from NBC is millions of times bigger than a press release hidden in the Olympic Host website 3 years before the games.

But all of this is irrelevant.

Mistakes are mistakes, no matter who made them. All of them are made by humans (Brazilians are humans too). The Organizing Committee can be as good (or bad) as the #2 USA's TV network or #1 in the case of Alias...

Again. This wasn't the Organizing Committee.

I saw an episode of Alias supposedly set in Positano, Italy. They used the Green Hotel from my native Pasadena, California. I've been to Positano and there is ZERO resemblance. It's a tv show in a budget trying to make a flashy impression. It's pure fiction and has nothing to do with real life. "Alias" is not an Organizing Committee tasked with one of the most important jobs in international diplomacy -- welcoming the world in 2016.

Again, whatever who made the mistake. Mistakes happens.

I'm not complaining about the set - indeed that hotel in the episode look so un-Brazilian with all those "American-like" people around and gold carts for luggage (we don't have them here - even worse: golden).

The problem with budgets are comprehensive at this point. It would be too expensive to move a crew to Rio or Sao Paulo to shoot only two scenes. That's pretty common, indeed, in Brazilian TV.

But, the footage to present a city is something really easy to arrange. And worse, to put a beach to show Sao Paulo is as ridiculous as put a Mediterranean beach to show Madrid or Rome...

And the buzz about this mistake was bigger than the bad translated Press Released of Rio 2016 committee.

And more, I heard English Speaking media saying about "Latin America's first games" lots of times, meanwhile, I don't remember one single mention from Brazilian media.

At some point, in USA, informally, everything from Texas to South is "South-America-or-Latin-America-whatever".

This episode of Colber Nation is a very well-done parody of the view Americans have about the "rest of the continent":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MpaSLKpzfI

BTW, excellent programme! I like both Colbert and Stewart!

This sad, it's probably a mistake did by someone from an English-Speaking country.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Ugh, Danny, come on.

For one, consider the pure volume of material that NBC puts out. It's a blunder no doubt, but they apologized and moved forward. Then consider that Alias is FICTION.

Rio's Organizing Committee can't correctly translate THEIR OWN CONTINENT and we're not supposed to notice or care?

Don't you think you're being unrealistically defensive?

I said it was really bad from Rio 2016 commitee, I'm not being defensive and even worse: "unrealistic defensive". Re-read my posts.

I'm arguing about "mistakes happens".

There is no excuse for the mistake in the press release, and you argued it isn't asking too much to have decent translations.

You said:

Translation isn't brain surgery and it getting it right shouldn't be that difficult. ... This isn't asking too much.

So, I do think it's not asking too much to have correct references of Brazil in real life news or fiction, why not? If you want to have Sao Paulo as location for a fiction series, isn't it too hard to find a footage of the fourth biggest city of the planet?

Well, maybe if US broadcasters could actually find Sao Paulo on a map...

Sorry, TV is more relevant to the masses than a hidden press release.

Maybe nobody have sent an e-mail to Rio-2016 committee to ask them to change the press release. I'm sure if you send an e-mail to them to correct the content, they will, just like NBC did.

In fact, I would expect some Mexican to do it, but it seems even they really don't care about a press release.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

• 2 weeks later...

“Embrace Rio 2016”, our sustainability sub-brand

The idea behind the chosen name is to engage people, inviting them to be part of the transformation promoted by the event

submarca_en_v3.jpg

The Organising Committee for the Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games launched the sub-brand “Embrace Rio 2016", which will be used in all Games communications related to the Sustainability Management Plan. The sub-brand uses the colour blue and is inspired by Rio 2016’s visual identity to promote responsible behaviour with people and the planet to build a more prosperous future through the organization of the Games. The idea behind the chosen name is to engage people, inviting them to be part of the transformation promoted by the event.

“Sport can and should play a leading role in promoting a more sustainable world. Following the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development in Rio, in 1992, the Olympic Movement's concern with environmental issues is constantly increasing. In 1996, the Olympic Charter was amended to recognize the environment as the third pillar of Olympism, and in 1999, the IOC created the Olympic Movement's Agenda 21, defining policies associated with sport,” said Rio 2016 President, Carlos Arthur Nuzman.

The most notable visual elements of the Olympic and Paralympic Games, the brands characterise the events, representing the essence, values and concepts of the Games. In addition, the Games also have sub-brands for programs with their own communication visibility and related events. “Embrace Rio 2016" will serve as a standard for the way in which the organization embraces programmes and projects aligned with the plan´s principles.

Rio 2016

• Like 1