Rio 2016 Look of the Games

I really like the logo, and I expect it to be incredible versatile, forming the glyphs for sports, directional arrows, the shape of icons etc.

The look being used in things like that Athletics sheet is safe and not overly distinctive, but does a good job of not being as offensive to the eye as London's was. I'm expecting a lot of deep yellow vs blue play, with flashes of Green and a lot of blank space.

As far as the official font goes...I really dislike it. It doesn't represent Brazil to me, it's difficult to read, and although it's distinctive, it isn't as memorable as London's.

I think this look is not the final one. This is the "corporate" look of the games, 'til the final one be released.

About the font, it does represent Rio, hufus... We have so many things handwritten or in informal writting in the city...

I liked it more than London squared-but-not much font...

But I think that all those curves and the harmonic look of the logo will be represented also in the look of the Games. So I suppose it won't be very far away from the look in that picture above (which reminds me, by the way, a little bit of the look of the European Athletics Association website: http://www.european-athletics.org/).

I have to say again that I love the Rio logo - I think it's one of the most fitting and beautiful in Olympic history. And it's also a clever and innovative one, without being obtrusive like the London logo.

Still on the font, only people abroad are complaining about "hard to read".

Everything with the new font is written in Portuguese so far!

That's why that is difficult to you guys read... :P:D;)

But, talking seriously, I think it's a matter of taste...

I really dislike London font, altough, I do think it worked very well with all the look of the games... Everything was so in-sync about this in London...

I think we should wait more to check how Rio's font will look like inside the venues and other stuff.

Personally, I think Rio's font fits well for Rio - it has the wavy look of a seaside city and the colours are very Brazilian, giving off feelings of the youthfulness and vitality of the city. It would look odd in London, because it is a historical, northern European capital city but nevertheless its colours and font match the youthfulness and vitality of that city too. I think both concepts, therefore, perfectly match the cities they are meant for, yet are totally different in concept. I mean, if you put either of those designs anywhere else (Paris, L.A., Tokyo, for example), they would not fit either :lol:

It goes beyond matters of taste, and enters into the sphere of appropriateness. And both do their cities well.

• Like 4

I don't want to feel like I'm trapped in that sculpture for 2 weeks! That's all I've seen so far except for the Copacabana sidewalk brochure which is always exciting like my favorite idea of Rio. But there are so many fascinating things about Rio both good and bad. It's alluring.

Personally, I think Rio's font fits well for Rio - it has the wavy look of a seaside city and the colours are very Brazilian, giving off feelings of the youthfulness and vitality of the city. It would look odd in London, because it is a historical, northern European capital city but nevertheless its colours and font match the youthfulness and vitality of that city too. I think both concepts, therefore, perfectly match the cities they are meant for, yet are totally different in concept. I mean, if you put either of those designs anywhere else (Paris, L.A., Tokyo, for example), they would not fit either :lol:

It goes beyond matters of taste, and enters into the sphere of appropriateness. And both do their cities well.

Perfect!

I don't want to feel like I'm trapped in that sculpture for 2 weeks! That's all I've seen so far except for the Copacabana sidewalk brochure which is always exciting like my favorite idea of Rio. But there are so many fascinating things about Rio both good and bad. It's alluring.

Rols and CAF posted some nice pictures of Casa Brasil where more was shown... Specially a "corridor" with all Rio's mountains sillouettes in the top. Very interesting and well-spotted.

• 4 weeks later...

Mexican city of Huatabampo local administration made a logo for the government that is... a bit similar to Rio 2016...

logo_1.jpg

http://globoesporte.globo.com/olimpiadas/noticia/2012/09/prefeitura-mexicana-e-alvo-de-criticas-por-logo-parecida-com-do-rio-2016.html

I think this is a case of plagiarism...

• Like 1

haha, are these muppets taking the piss?

It's crazy.

Funny though, about 2 years ago a house was being built up my street and the sign outside the construction had the proud logo of the said construction company, which was a carbon copy of the Salt Lake 2002 emblem.

So the blue-painted dude in Rio's logo got lost and the yellow-painted one got hit by something on his head and he's dizzy. Not sure what's going on with the green one though but it's possible that he's dragging the dizzy fellow out of that town. That is a very interesting message that city wants to convey!

Gosh, they really couldn't make it any more obvious, could they?

How does the Rio Organising Comittee react? Do they want to legally challenge that?

The Mexican Nat'l Olympic Committee should be made aware of it so that they can get an injunction against that city. Not only is it plagiarism, it is even a "corruption" of the original. Unbelievable. :(

Gosh, they really couldn't make it any more obvious, could they?

How does the Rio Organising Comittee react? Do they want to legally challenge that?

According with the report, both Rio 2016 committee and the Mexican City official didn't made any statements so far.

According with the report, both Rio 2016 committee and the Mexican City official didn't made any statements so far.

I bet that in the background, their lawyers are sharpening their knives now anyway. ;)

It's really one of the most blatant cases of plagiarism I've ever seen.

Mexican city of Huatabampo local administration made a logo for the government that is... a bit similar to Rio 2016...

logo_1.jpg

http://globoesporte....o-de-criticas-por-logo-parecida-com-do-rio-2016.html

I think this is a case of plagiarism...

"Todos a echarle ganas"? I'd say "Todos a echarle morro"! :rolleyes:

Speaking of Rio's lawyers...

http://www.telegraph...mpic-Games.html

:blink: :blink: Wow!