Rio 2016 Look of the Games

First, I'm not British. I live in California.

Second, the Brits are advocating for their point of view, which is totally understandable. They are in the midst of the Games and they want to enjoy them. They don't want anything negative to ruin their experience. I can understand that. For those of us who aren't in London, it's easier to offer a more detached evaluation. If the Games were happening here in LA, I wouldn't want to read anything negative about them -- even if it was true. I would want to just enjoy the moment. So I can't really blame the Brits.

Danny, I have to say that you still outdo all the Brits in your excessive eagerness to campaign for Rio's superiority.

By the way, Danny, not a single Brit has disagreed with your statement about Rio's font.

Those of us who took issue were:

me (USA)

mattygs (New Zealand)

greenandblue (Australia)

menegazfelipe (Brazil)

NY20?? (USA)

So your comment about British defensiveness doesn't really make any sense.

You are right in everything.

Unless for this:

Danny, I have to say that you still outdo all the Brits in your excessive eagerness to campaign for Rio's superiority.

Check my post, I'm the one defending the Opening Ceremony as a good event. Maybe between the non-Brits I gave the biggest score in that thread.

I do like the venues, everything is so nice in London that I'm really worried about if Rio will be good enough to keep the standard of some venues...

Yes, my post was a bit crazy (I made a huge confusion that it's better not even try to explain), but c'mon. I'm really an enthusiastic of London games.

And I'm not an enthusiastic of London font...

I agree Rio's font is a bit hard to read.

It will be better when things get written in English... :P

From this:

london-olympics.jpeg

To this:

sem_titulo.jpg

WHAT A IMPROVEMENT!!!

An improvement on what though? You've quoted both completely free from any context. If someone said to me, choose between these fonts, I'd choose Rio's everytime for most applications. It's easy on the eye and legible. But in the context of London's Games our font choice is perfect; you can't seperate London's font from the overall Look, it's unfair to do so and doesn't make sense to show both context free like you've just done. You're a designer, surely you can see that?

• Like 1

An improvement on what though? You've quoted both completely free from any context. If someone said to me, choose between these fonts, I'd choose Rio's everytime for most applications. It's easy on the eye and legible. But in the context of London's Games our font choice is perfect; you can't seperate London's font from the overall Look, it's unfair to do so and doesn't make sense to show both context free like you've just done. You're a designer, surely you can see that?

Exactly what I've pointed.

Ok, it's different, it really says "London 2012" to me

I think it's not in discussion the fact Londoner font fits all the concept London 2012 branding scheme present (indeed, a very well done scheme we can see in the stadium and in all stuff related to the games).

But I don't like the font, I see some things that I don't like in it, specially in the creation....

Also I don't like some things in Rio 2016 font too - Big letters didn't got too good...

In an overall I see Rio's font better than London's one.

I specially like the fact there are many aplication for the junctions of the letter - this is rich and very well thought.

That's is - just my opinion.

Actually the London 2012 brand is unique in that the main wordmark is also used as a the main font for other branding.

If you look at Beijing, Torino & Sydney who all had a pretty distinct and dynamic wordmarks they all had an auxiliary font used for other branding purposes. Sydney used ITC Binary (http://www.fontpalace.com/font-details/Binary+ITC/) on alot of its material yet strangely also used times new roman for their venue subheadings (Games of the New Mellenium) and helvetica for wayfinding. Torino used a cursive style font for the Passion Lives here Slogan and then again helvetica for wayfinding. Off the top of my head, I dont recall the wayfinding/axuiliary font for Beijing but it looked similar to an aerial type font (One world. One dream. - or similar).

I agree that the Rio2016 font is not the easiest to read, which makes me wonder if they will also employ and auxiliary font for slogan and other branding along with a easily read helvetica, times or calibri font for wayfinding and blocks of text.

Alternatively, as shown in this promotional material it may be used more widely as the 2012 font has been. As much the London brand has grown on me (nothing on athens or vancouver brands), I welcome a change back to the more conservative Rio brand.

That said, bad font and all, I think the London 2012 wordmark is probably more effective and distinctive than the Rio 2016 mark.

In my opinion the best olympic wordmarks have been Sydney 2000 and Torino 2006.

I like both of them. Both London and Rio fonts express their personalities, with London being more edgier and futuristic and Rio being more traditional (in fact it kinda reminds me of Sydney 2000 font)

True, but funny how sydney 2000 looks traditional and london 2012 looks futuristic, what a difference 12 years makes.

I like Rio in context with all the other past wordmarks, London's really stands out, interesting that the same design company is also responsible for Athens' wordmark, or lack thereof.

London's font came way before the development of their Look. Really, all fonts come before their respective Looks. I suppose Looks are in part developed to fit in with the font introduced in the logo.

Athens' font worked very well I think. You can find it on Microsoft Word, but it still evokes a certain classicism to it that feels fitting for Greece. Like the Look, it said "Greece" without relying on all the typical notions of what Greek design are.

I feel like Beijing and Rio's font certainty say "China" and "Brazil," but they're very obvious and easy about it.

Athens needed a simple font because there was so much interest to their Look. London's Look is so basic that they need a more distinctive font to pick it up. The wordmarks alone only tell part of the story.

Athensfan, I completely agree, to be clear it wasn't an attack, it wasmore a comment on how its' wordmark was relatively simple. The point is with athens due to panorama, overall awesome look and a great logo, it didn't really rely on the wordmark in the same way, sydney, beijing, london and rio did.

Still I would have personally preferred a slightly more unique wordmark for athens and vancouver (my favourite Look overall), but I agree and concede that there was alot going in terms each of those looks so the simpler wordmark was better suited.

And of course wordmarks only tell part of the story, but in the context of the part of the previous conversation, we were specifically discussing them and not the looks overall.

Yes. I understand. I was responding to comments about the relative simplicity of Athens' font.

The title of this thread is about Rio's Look. It is important that the wordmark and font work well with the whole Look.

• Like 2

Athens needed a simple font because there was so much interest to their Look. London's Look is so basic that they need a more distinctive font to pick it up. The wordmarks alone only tell part of the story.

But I love the Athens Myriad-like font... It got so beautiful!

Look at my signatures...

When I was in Casa Brazil, I noticed to following design used a lot around, and one of the souvenirs I bought, a notebook, also used it. I wonder if this is an early indication of the "Look":

riolook003.jpg

riolook001.jpg

God I hope not! that's just plain ugly! i was looking forward to maybe blues, greens, and yellows with maybe a tropical leaf pattern. oh the possibilities.........

That could just be one pattern and one color combination out of many more to come. Seems like another take on the mosaic street pattern from which the font was inspired by.

Though it's still early. Athens and Vancouver had design elements seemingly thought out years before but they changed and evolved into the final Look later. Usually a separate design agency is given the job.