Tokyo or Kyoto

Tokyo has already hosted the olympics once and Kyoto is without a doubt a more culturally rich city with all it's temples and shrines. I just don't know why the JOC decided for Tokyo to host the games when Kyoto is a more beautiful place to host the 2020 games. Also if Tokyo fails this bid, would they evetually try Kyoto to host the games? :ph34r:

Kyoto will definitely not be a host city within the next cycles. JOC has yet announced, Tokyo 2020 was the "last chance to bring the games to Japan". And in general, I think Tokyo just suits way better for a Olympics. They have good transport, they have the venues and they have the reputation. Apart from the Kyoto Protocol that city seems to be relatively unknown outside Japan. And they have yet failed in Kansai with their Osaka 2008 bid.

• 3 weeks later...

While the temples and palaces are superb, the center of Kyoto is kinda ugly and bland. They also don't have a lot of the necessary infrastructure to host the Summer Games - hotels and sporting venues are somewhat lacking.

Like Rols, I too would prefer Osaka as the next Japanese Olympic host. Osaka could easily manage the Games with close neighbours Kobe and Kyoto as support. But I can live with and support the decision to promote Tokyo. Besides, did Kyoto or Osaka even express an interest in 2020? I think only Hiroshima and Tokyo did.

Archived