GamesBids' London 2012 Opening Ceremony Live Chat

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i certainly enjoyed it more than the last one. Smile on face rather than mouth wide open.

Very well said. The cultural segment wasn't as emotional as I originally expected after all those tweets of welling-up people. But it had a very beautiful wow moment when the Olympic Rings lit up. It had moments where I laughed out loud, such as when the "Queen" jumped out of the helicopter and during Rowan Atkinson's performance. It had a very dignified moment when they had that moment of silence for the World Wars in the "Satanic Mills" segment. It had its flaws (especially at the end), but I feel well-entertained. It's maybe not as good as Sydney, but it's still one of the better opening ceremonies.

Are the flags positioning randomily at the hill?

Looks like the 'flag people' know where they are going and I'm sure there would be ready made holes for the flags - rather than just shoving them into the grass :)

How can people complain about the parade section?

It is exactly the same at every games and it has to be done.

that is exactly why!!! it always the same

in terms of olympic artistic openings i will put it:

1st - Sydney

2nd - Barcelona

3rd - Athens

4th - Atlanta

5th - London

6th - Beijing

I put it before beijing based on the human touch, although beijing was more wow

I can see how if you were British, this would be a highly emotionally charged opening ceremony, not only because of the moment, but the contents.

I would match it with the moment in the RWC Ceremony in NZ when the strip of turf unrolled and the young boy started to play backyard rugby. It's just one of those things that are country specific, but might not have quite the same effect to others.

I know it's tradition...But IMO Greece dd NOT deserve to walk in first...They're the reason why the Global Economy is screwed!!! <_<

Excuse me, the economical crisis mainly started in the US. And the mistakes Greece made in the recent few decades don't diminish their contribution to Olympism. In the end, they will always stay the birthplace of that bi-annual event that we cherish and are always getting crazy about.

Archived