GamesBids' London 2012 Opening Ceremony Live Chat

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be here, provided someone can post a link to a livestream of it.

Well, if the IOC does what it did with the Vancouver 2010 opening and closing ceremonies, it could upload the entire program (both of them) onto YouTube. Of course, I do not know exactly when that, if it does happen, will come after the shows are done live.

As of this post, it is 12 hours away from the beginning of the opening ceremony. As such, the Olympic tradition continues. I got my Olympic flag hanging on my wall, beside the TV.

So why do they have to rehearse all the fireworks?

Seems like a bit of a waste to me.

To get the rhythm and feel and flow of the show. R they doing it at the right time? Is too much for one moment? Should they amp it up for another? I'm sure they only rehearse with a sampling of the pyros. They don't use the full volley!

From here in humid, hazy Beijing, just want to wish all the GB attendees at the Opening Ceremony, at the Live Sites, and wherever you may be watching, greetings! I am laying in a store of snacks and getting the coffee pot ready, as it will be the wee hours here when I tune in. Can't believe 4 years have already gone by.....

On the 6th July 2005, just north of London I was sitting in a classroom at school as part of a boring maths lesson.

We knew the winning city was to be announced at around 12:50 so a few minutes after that our teacher turned on the radio in the classroom to hear reports that the Mayor of Paris was calling London a "dirty city". The teacher interpreted that to mean that Paris had won their bid to host the 2012 Olympic Games.

Suddenly, the roar of the Red Arrows was heard overhead which signalled to the class that it would would not be Paris 2012 but the Olympics would be taking place just a few miles south of us in seven years time as London 2012.

In 2010 I applied to be a volunteer at the games and through that I was invited to the Opening Ceremony Rehearsal last Monday.

While watching just a few of the scenes at the rehearsal, for the first time in my life, my eyes were wide opening and I was mouthing 'wow' to myself.

I hope you all enjoy the show and enjoy London 2012.

Still holding out hope that someone can post an English-speaking stream later on...

Try searching on Twitter for:

'BBC stream'

or

'Opening ceremony stream'

And you will find tweets of people linking streams to each other.

I do this for finding football match streams and always works :)

The flame is currently at City Hall (next to Tower Bridge) and the BBC just said it will be leaving in 'spectacular fashion'.

So keep an eye out for that in a bit.

I suppose it has something to do with the pyrotechnics we saw going off at Tower Bridge in that Youtube clip.

Archived