GamesBids' London 2012 Opening Ceremony Live Chat

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There will also, undoubtedly, be pirated streams that pop up. Usually they get shut down before long, but it's not impossible that one slips through the cracks. Google is your friend here.

Or Twitter. It's great for searching for links to streams of popular events. I've had good experiences finding links there.

The one with this symbol:

Ah, there's the rub. The Zattoo site, at least from my US IP address, does not show ZDF as an available channel. In any case, I can't imagine that a "legitimate" streaming TV site like this would allow Olympic coverage through without blacking it out for ineligible viewers.

(And correction to my post above; of course, it's CTV is the Canadian broadcaster this year, not CBC.)

Can any Canadians confirm CTVs coverage will be completely live?

I'm not Canadian, but the CTVolympics.ca website is, and it's listing show that no fewer than nine (!) different networks will be showing the opening ceremony live.

OK, I knew that there's a catch with that Zattoo website. ;) Which channels are shown to you there? Maybe also some from foreign countries, where you might be able to see the opening ceremony as well?

I get several German channels, plus CNN, Bloomberg, France24, the Swiss television's news channel and some Polish, Turkish, Bosnian and Spanish (including the state television channel TVE) channels.

Talking about TVE - can you view this?

http://www.rtve.es/noticias/directo-la-1/

It's the live stream of TVE 1, the TVE channel that will broadcast the opening ceremony live on Friday. Strangely, I can view it here from Germany, so it probably works also for other foreign countries.

EDIT: I just switched to TVE 2 and I can't view it. It might be that I'm able to watch TVE 1 right now because they are "only" broadcasting their newscast.

I guess you should stick to those "pirate livestreams" then... :(

Talking about TVE - can you view this?

Yes, I can see the TVE1 stream here in the US - now. I guarantee it will be blacked out come Friday. :P

I guess you should stick to those "pirate livestreams" then... :(

We Americans are used to it. I think back to Sydney, trying to catch glimpses of the ceremony on the official website's "sneak peek" feature. It would update every minute, so I'd refresh the website every minute and have a new still image to stare at. Then I'd have to wait another 20 hours or so to watch moving pictures of the ceremony on NBC.

It's not so bad now, though. Since at least 2006 there have been illicit video feeds on the internet. And now, with NBC streaming all sports this year, I feel I can't complain too much. :)

I'll be around here with all my defensiveness about Brazil, with all my angry against Argentina, supporting Istanbul, laughing a lot of Baron's ironic comments and ignoring the stupid trolls GB people loves to keep close by!

Which means, I'll be here for sure!

And of course, watching it in full HD by Sportv in Brazil!

It has just been announced that the opening ceremony is unlikely to sell out, according to the BBC. Organisers will decide tomorrow as to what to do, to avoid empty seats. The likelihood is that they'll give them to soldiers or school kids.

Kinda surprised by this news.

It has just been announced that the opening ceremony is unlikely to sell out, according to the BBC. Organisers will decide tomorrow as to what to do, to avoid empty seats. The likelihood is that they'll give them to soldiers or school kids.

Kinda surprised by this news.

And why couldn't we buy the tickets anymore on the website long before?

I think it are last minutes returns from VIPs or NOCs who could not use them longer because of other important activities?

And why couldn't we buy the tickets anymore on the website long before?

I think it are last minutes returns from VIPs or NOCs who could not use them longer because of other important activities?

Apparently it's the high end tickets, the ones that are costing as much as £2012. Seems that it's an expensive few can afford.

Apparently it's the high end tickets, the ones that are costing as much as £2012. Seems that it's an expensive few can afford.

And yet, those expensive close-up tickets are some of the worst seats in the stadium. You don't get to see everything, you need to be up high to see the entire spectacle.

And yet, those expensive close-up tickets are some of the worst seats in the stadium. You don't get to see everything, you need to be up high to see the entire spectacle.

Actually, I wouldn't agree with that. I've watched the show from up-high and down-low and they both have their pluses and minuses. Yes, the upper tier has a great overview but you do feel slightly detached at times. The lower tier doesn't have the lines of sight (but you can get those from the screens) but you do definitely feel more connected to what is going on down there.

That's right.. that's why the Queen and other VIP's will not sit in category A seats but B I believe.. or is it even C?

Even if they are crappy seats...who would'nt take them just to say they were there? Big screens above the stadium would do fine for me to look at, you still get the atmosphere?

Archived