Citius Altius Fortius - Castaways on the Isles of Wonder

Aren't you said that it's over now, Martin? It must have been a terrific experience and such packed 18 days. My "post-Olympic blues" was pretty heavy yesterday (luckily, it's almost gone today), so I wonder what it must have felt like for someone who was there, watched so many events, caught up the Olympic atmosphere and even shared a flat with fellow Olympic enthusiasts.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm back in the office today for the first time, and I have to say the post-games Blues are hitting hard. So hard to concentrate, and instead of clearing my work emails I just keep heading back to GamesBids.

And already starting to mentally plan ahead for Rio!

Aren't you said that it's over now, Martin? It must have been a terrific experience and such packed 18 days. My "post-Olympic blues" was pretty heavy yesterday (luckily, it's almost gone today), so I wonder what it must have felt like for someone who was there, watched so many events, caught up the Olympic atmosphere and even shared a flat with fellow Olympic enthusiasts.

Yeah - of course you are aware that Olympic Games end after 16 days, but you want that they last forever...

One of the major effects of attending Olympic Games is that you can't imagine to watch them on TV - I have already started to mentally plan ahead for my Rio Olympic trip in four years (like Rols)

My highlights of the London Olympics

Isles of Wonder

I will never forget the Opening Ceremony - it was the first Olympic ceremony, which I saw in person in the venue - I watched it later on German TV, which was fantastic, since I had the opportunity to feel the atmosphere in the stadium during the ceremony and afterwards I could see all the details on TV, which I couldn't see in the stadium!

A Symphony of British Music

My god, this was a fantastic party! And a Closing Ceremony should be a party to say farewell to a wonderful host and at the same time to say "hello" to the next host - I watched the Closing Ceremony later on German TV and it was like with the Opening Ceremony - it is a perfect combination to feel the atmosphere in the stadium and watch the details later on TV - by the way I sang the whole time during the show! Both ceremonies give me still showers of goosebumps!!!

The "golden August 9th" for the German team

On August 9th I had tickets for Canoe Sprint in Eton Dorney and for the male Beach Volleyball Final at Horse Guards Parade. I hoped that I might see one gold medal for Germany in Canoe Sprint - it became two. I had no expectations for the Beach Volleyball Final - and when the Germans won the first set I got very exciting - the second set won Brazil - then in the third set the unbelievable happened: Germany won! My god I had the luck to see three gold medals for the "own" team in 24 hours at my first Olympic Games!

The Beach-Volleyball venue at Horse Guards Parade

I loved the venue at Horse Guards Parade and the spectator area in St. James Park - great mixture out of the Royal Park and Horse Guards, architecture of Westminster and modern technique of the London eye

The helpful and friendly volunteers/soldiers

Without the helpful volunteers and friendly (but efficient) soldiers the 16 days of the London Olympics wouldn't have become such brilliant Games!

The Olympic Spirit in London

Everybody in London was in a mood, which was unbelievable - everybody was talking with each other - everybody was cheerful!

To meet some good friends from the UK

I had some appointments with friends from the UK - e.g. we went together into a musical in the West End - it was a really nice evening - and we had been together in the German House in the Docklands

Sharing a flat with fellow GB-members

It is great to be at an international event, but it is even better to share an accomodation with people from all over the world

Transportation in London

The transportation worked very smoothly - the best trip was the trip with the Thames Clipper from Greenwich Pier to North Greenwich Arena together with Rols!!!

British food / Pub food

Many people say that British food is bad - I like it! I had some very lovely food in a restaurant in Covent Garden and Rols and I found a great pub in Greenwich with wonderful food - we were there several times

Greenwich

Greenwich is really a very nice area with a lot of history - I spent a morning in a tourist information with a small museum about Greenwich - in the area are a lot of restaurants and bars - It was a good decision to rent a flat in this lovely borough of London!

I really miss the time in London - I think I got infected by the "Olympic Games" virus: I can't imagine to watch a single Olympic Games not live!

Same thing here. As far as we know by now we won´t be able to go to Rio, cause our son doesn´t have school holidays. (they just stop at the 3rd of august :-( )

But maybe they will change this in the years to come. If they do, we will surely go to Rio!

I am not sure yet, if I really go to Rio - there are some things which have to be clarified first - I have to been able to afford it - I have to find a flat/apartment, which I can share again...

I fear a little bit the language, since I do not speak Portuguese - and of course I need tickets...

That is the worst thing about it. A big part of my wife´s family live in Brasil.

One uncle live in Ipanema 300m from the rowing/canoeing track.

So we could stay there for free. But we haven´t got the time to do it. :(

Yeah that wouldn´t be a problem, but he is infected to! I don´t think that we could leave him in germany after his experience of London. ;)

Maybe they´ll change the "Ferienkalender" in Niedersachsen.

The first athletics session on friday 3rd, football quartefinal Mexiko - Senegal at Wembley and the morning volleyball (indoor) morning session on monday 6th at Earl´s Court between Australia - Poland and Russia - Serbia.

On sunday and tuesday we watched a bit of the women´s marathon at Buckingham Palace and Triathlon at Hyde Park.

Oh yes he enjoyed it.. The only sport we got connection to is football. We got season tickets for our local football team. I always wanted to go to the olympics, and London was the best option for it. it's near and we have been there a few times before. We applied for much more events but football and volleyball were the ones we got after the first phase last year. After we noticed that we won't be able to enter the olympic park without tickets we searched again and got the athletics tickets just 2 weeks before the event.

We stayed there from friday 3rd to tuesday 7th.

Our flight landed at 8 o´clock at Stansted and the athletics session began at 10.

But first we had to store our baggage at the Liverpool Street Station. After that we took the train back to Stratford.

We arrived in the stadium 30 min. after the session started and missed the first event of the heptathlon but it was worth it.

Our flight back was on tuesday evening 8 p.m.

• 10 months later...

Archived