Citius Altius Fortius - Castaways on the Isles of Wonder

I had been to my 6th event yesterday and there are still 10 events to come.

I had a relaxed morning yesterday (I gave my rowing ticket back and missed a gold medal for Germany, but I think it was the right decision - the trip between Slough and North Greenwich Arena would have been stressful). Roland and I were in shopping centre since we had to buy some things (e.g. I lost my spare battery for my camera at the canoe slalom venue (I might lost it when I jumped around due the silver medal).

On the way to the Greenwich station the houses are decorated with flags - I really like that and I hope more and more houses will be decorated during the Games

P1010976.jpg

In the early afternoon we headed to the North Greenwich arena - the trip was very relaxed, too - Rols and I took the Thames Clipper from Greenwich Pier to the O2 Arena, which only took appr. 8 minutes...

It was a very cheerful little crowd on board - everybody was enjoying the trip on the Thames (I really wonder how long David Beckham needed with his speed boat from Tower Bridge to the Stadium during the Opening Ceremony)...

I had been with Lee at the O2 Arena in February and it was interesting to see what they had changed for the time during the Olympic Games (I mean which place they used for the security check tents, etc. etc.)

P1020244.jpg

P1020248.jpg

P1020249.jpg

P1020253.jpg

P1020257.jpg

We had a lot of fun before the event - the guy with the UK flag and the girl with the japanese flag seemed to be a couple and tried to make a pic from themselves - I offered my help and then the British guy started to organise a flag parade - that was the result - it was very happy atmosphere in the venue - then I met two guys from Austria and we had a little chat (I do not mention the chat with a lovely Aussie girl, since Roland has already done it).

The event started with a ballet demonstration from the London Ballet Company and an introduction of the different apparatuses

P1020273.jpg

P1020286.jpg

here a pic, where you can see that empty seats are given to the UK armed forces (which are doing a marvelous job)

P1020351.jpg

... and now some pics from the competition itself:

P1020318.jpg

P1020336.jpg

P1020352.jpg

P1020362.jpg

P1020370.jpg

P1020377.jpg

P1020381.jpg

P1020387.jpg

P1020391.jpg

P1020401.jpg

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is that, it looks really neat. They have a lot of fun thing at the venue before the comp. How exciting! This venue outside seems like one of the best with Horse Guards.

Have fun!

there had a presentation of gymnastics before the competition - the floor showed suddenly "rays" of lights, which blinked - and formed different forms - finally the logo of 2012 was shown

Yesterday I saw together with Daveypodmore and Sir Rols a musical (Citizen-Seth wanted to watch it, too, but he was invited to an important meeting) - SirRols and I did a little sightseeing-tour in the afternoon - we took the train to Cannon Street and from there we went to St. Pauls down Fleet Street and Strand to the Casa Brazil.

P1020624.jpg

P1020623.jpg

The Casa Brazil is in the Sommerset House and we wanted to check how Rio 2016 is presenting itself in London 2012

P1020626.jpg

P1020640.jpg

They have several displays where you can see the different clusters, an exhibition of Brazilian art, a film is shown about the preparations, a merchandise shop and the 3D models of the logos of the Olympics and Paralympics are shown.

P1020633.jpg

In the evening the square inside of the Sommerset House is used for a Brazilian bar/party zone, but we hurried away, since had the appointment with Daveypodmore - we had a fine British diner in the "Cateen" at Covent Garden.

P1020641.jpg

After the diner we went to Cambridge Theatre and watched "Matilda"

P1020645.jpg

It is a nice musical and my favourite characters were Matilda and of coures Mrs. Trunchball (who is called "Knüppelkuh" in German, which means "beating stick cow")

So jealous of the athletics, CAF! Should be a brilliant day - I'll be in the Park for handball - and possibly sneaking out after the first game to watch the end of the heptathlon and the 10,000m on Park Live!

Sorry guys/gals I am behindhand with my blog - the day before yesterday I had been to Wimbledon. I had to be at least one time in my life in Wimbledon and therefore I thought I can do it during my London Olympics trip - and it was the right decision...

I had my "Wimbledon Strawberries with Cream", the weather was ideal for tennis and I had a great match to watch!!!

Wimbledon is really a nice little village in a huge metropole - it seems a little bit posh with a lot of little shops, cafe and restaurant. The transportation was fast and worked very smoothly - I used he National Rail from Lewisham to Waterloo East, where I had to change into Waterloo Station and to the train to Woking, which I left in Wimbledon.

The volunteers were helpful and very friendly (as always) - I wonder why London is sometimes called to be a rude place, when the people are so friendly here.

The security check was very efficient and very fast.

The Wimbledon Tennis Club is like you do imagine it - a very neat place packed with Tennis lovers - the strawberries were nice and sweat - my seat was excellent and I had a lot of fun.

P1020646.jpg

P1020648.jpg

P1020744.jpg

P1020654.jpg

P1020670.jpg

P1020687.jpg

P1020717.jpg

P1020734.jpg

P1020741.jpg

P1020747.jpg

P1020762.jpg

Then I watched the match between Serena Williams and the Belarus' girl - she squeaked like a guinea pig by every return...

P1020782.jpg

P1020791.jpg

P1020800.jpg

I took the shuttle bus back to the station, since it is quite a long walk between the station to the Wimbledon Tennis Club (I would have never expected how exhausting two weeks Olympic Games are - my feet hurt like hell)

P1020812.jpg

P1020814.jpg

P1020815.jpg

Wimbledon is really a very nice place to be

I had tickets for the morning and the evening session of athletics yesterday - it was great to be in the Olympic Stadium again after the Opening Ceremony and to see the cauldron again.

I wasn't really fit during the morning session, but of course it was a great show - I just love athletics - there is always several events going on and it was especially it was great to see the 100 m preliminary (male).

P1020830.jpg

P1020826.jpg

P1020839.jpg

P1020843.jpg

P1020844.jpg

P1020851.jpg

P1020854.jpg

P1020869.jpg

The Olympic Park is just awesome - I wished there were larger areas, where you can rest, since I stayed the time between the two sessions in the Park and I was glad, that we found a place in the Park View area to get a little rest. There was a light rain shower - it rained appr. 10 minutes.

P1020885.jpg

P1020889.jpg

P1020895.jpg

P1020902.jpg

P1020907.jpg

P1020912.jpg

P1020913.jpg

P1020916.jpg

The evening session in the stadium was just fantastic!!! The audience was amazing - the Brits were very proud to see three Gold medals of Team GB!

I was glad to two silver medals for Germany in Shot Put men (victory ceremony) and the silver in Heptathlon - one remark about the referees - it is strange that the stadium speaker announced that Lilli Schwarzkopf had been disqualified during the 800 m - later on it became clear that the referees mistook her with a russian runner - I expect that referees are aware who is running in which lane - and especially when somebody is disqualified I would have expect that a disqualification is checked by a second referee - I was deprived that she didn't get her round of honour in the stadium.

P1030029.jpg

For me Greg Rutherford was the British gold medal winner yesterday, who I find the most likeable one...

P1020920.jpg

That was when the british runner in the 400 m hurdles fell

P1020923.jpg

P1020924.jpg

P1020930.jpg

P1020934.jpg

P1020947.jpg

P1020951.jpg

P1020953.jpg

P1020965.jpg

P1020987.jpg

P1020996.jpg

P1030011.jpg

P1030020.jpg

P1030027.jpg

And this is my most favourite pic of the cauldron:

P1030052.jpg

The stadium when we left the Park at night

P1030059.jpg

Wonderful photos... How special it must have been to have been inside the stadium last night for the athletics. The photos around the olympic park are great and the park looks stunning. Lots of people!

Hey CAF, it was nice to finally meet you the other day in the Park.

Hope you still enjoy your time here and that you are knowledgeable now on all german athletes ;)

Yesterday I saw together with Daveypodmore and Sir Rols a musical (Citizen-Seth wanted to watch it, too, but he was invited to an important meeting) - SirRols and I did a little sightseeing-tour in the afternoon - we took the train to Cannon Street and from there we went to St. Pauls down Fleet Street and Strand to the Casa Brazil.

P1020624.jpg

P1020623.jpg

The Casa Brazil is in the Sommerset House and we wanted to check how Rio 2016 is presenting itself in London 2012

P1020626.jpg

P1020640.jpg

They have several displays where you can see the different clusters, an exhibition of Brazilian art, a film is shown about the preparations, a merchandise shop and the 3D models of the logos of the Olympics and Paralympics are shown.

P1020633.jpg

In the evening the square inside of the Sommerset House is used for a Brazilian bar/party zone, but we hurried away, since had the appointment with Daveypodmore - we had a fine British diner in the "Cateen" at Covent Garden.

P1020641.jpg

After the diner we went to Cambridge Theatre and watched "Matilda"

P1020645.jpg

It is a nice musical and my favourite characters were Matilda and of coures Mrs. Trunchball (who is called "Knüppelkuh" in German, which means "beating stick cow")

So glad you guys had a nice time in Casa Brasil!

:)

P1030011.jpg

I just love live mascots

Hey CAF, it was nice to finally meet you the other day in the Park.

Hope you still enjoy your time here and that you are knowledgeable now on all german athletes ;)

It was great to meet you on saturday, memorabilia! Thanks for the lovely surprise! I used it in the following evening athletic session on that day!!

Yeah - I am 'still' enjoying the London Olympics - the volunteers are doing a wonderful job and I hope they receive the 'attention' for that during/after the Games. I have never seen so many helpful people in my life.

And I think you should mention the British Armed Forces, the police and the NHS, too. They are very friendly and helpful (never tired to answer 'our' questions) without forgetting their duty to protect/to help us.

I had no events yesterday, which is necessary, too. Olympic Games are fantastic to attend in person, but I had never expected how exhausting they are. My feet and legs hurt like h'll! Furthermore the crowds are in a way nerv wrecking, too...

I had with a friend of mine from Hamburg a late British breakfast and I washed and dried some of my clothes, which took longer than I expected, because the drying program was strange to start (there was no user manual for the washing machine/dryer).

P1030062.jpg

P1030063.jpg

P1030067.jpg

P1030072.jpg

P1030073.jpg

P1030076.jpg

P1030078.jpg

P1030080.jpg

We wandered around in neighbourhood and I found a shop of a German graphic artist at Greenwich Market, who lives in London since 7/8 years, which pics are just fantastic - we chatted a little bit and I think I will go there later this week to buy a nice London souvenir!!!

It's unbelievable how fast time flies by - I arrived on Aug 26th in London 11 days ago and I have attended 9 events so far.

HORAAAAAY - there are 7 more days to come and I have tickets for 7 more events!!

Archived