German reporter thinks London 2012 will be a fiasco!

Mainad

The CNBC article is shameful. How so-called 'journalists' such as Patrick Allen get away with writing such inaccurate, biased and downright wrong copy is an illustration of how low standards have sunk in the profession as a whole.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CNBC article is shameful. How so-called 'journalists' such as Patrick Allen get away with writing such inaccurate, biased and downright wrong copy is an illustration of how low standards have sunk in the profession as a whole.

interestingly enough, it was british journalists who really pioneered the low standards for the industry worldwide. american (print) journalism is a treat comparatively. i'm not saying london is getting what it deserves - that would be ridiculous - although i will point out that none of this looks quite so bad when you compare it with hacking into a dead teen's phone to delete messages.

i guess my real point is that london, england is just about the last place on earth that could ever say, 'i was blindsided by the press. who knew they could be so critical!'

interestingly enough, it was british journalists who really pioneered the low standards for the industry worldwide. american (print) journalism is a treat comparatively. i'm not saying london is getting what it deserves - that would be ridiculous - although i will point out that none of this looks quite so bad when you compare it with hacking into a dead teen's phone to delete messages.

i guess my real point is that london, england is just about the last place on earth that could ever say, 'i was blindsided by the press. who knew they could be so critical!'

I think you meant to say that SOME British journalists have pioneered a low standard worldwide! There are SOME British journalists who have also pioneered the high standard worldwide and have won awards for doing so. Across all media, for example, how about the journalists that brought the famine in the 80s in Ethiopia to worldwide attention and basically gave way to Live Aid etc... Like everywhere, there are good and bad examples of certain jobs, you can't put them all into one basket!

Tend to agree krow, though of course were it not for The Guardian's excellent journalism the depths some of the tabloids had sunk to might never have come out. They were like a dog with a bone covering that story and I don't think Leveson would have happened but for The Guardian's investigations. We have some of the very best and very worst journalism in the world in this country.

I just came back from Cologne - the july issue of the Lufthansa magazine has the main topic: London in 2012 - this is the link to the pdf-file of the magazine (of course the magazine is in German and English)

Sorry Martin, I can't seem to get it to download but I gather it is a nice piece about London 2012. Thanks for posting it anyway! :)

Tend to agree krow, though of course were it not for The Guardian's excellent journalism the depths some of the tabloids had sunk to might never have come out. They were like a dog with a bone covering that story and I don't think Leveson would have happened but for The Guardian's investigations. We have some of the very best and very worst journalism in the world in this country.

British journalism really does run the gamut from A to Z. You can have the very best as shown by the quality papers, eg. Independent, Guardian, Times, Telegraph etc. and the absolutely dire, eg. Express, Sun, Mail, Mirror etc.

Personally, I would keep the first 4 and have the last 4 redesignated as comics if not banned outright although no doubt some of us would be quick to point that out as an attack on the freedom of the press tut tut!

But whilst the excellent quality of the journalism shown by the quality papers can enhance the reputation of the British press, there is sadly no doubt that the utter trash peddled by the feral tabloids has caused much harm to the reputation of British journalism and, by extension, to Britain in general. Why, in God's name, do people actually buy this trash and actually want to read it??

Sorry Martin, I can't seem to get it to download but I gather it is a nice piece about London 2012. Thanks for posting it anyway! :)

The magazine is "introducing" London out of different point of views:

- The Olympic Stadium in Stratford out of the view of a person sitting in a plane during the approach of Heathrow... ("view from above" = column)

- "Whats in your bag?" - that is a column, in which famous persons, show what they put into their hand-luggage - this time a singer is asked, who grew up in London - she is the daughter of a famous German rock singer

- "Good to know" = what do you should know about London / some facts about London

- "To Have or not to have" = small items, in which you might be interested in owning, but you don't need too - e.g. a suitcase of Williams Handmade

- "Discover another London" = I love this article - it is about 5 days in London - every day another part of London is discovered in another way: 1 day: Hackey Wick to Knightsbridge by bus - 2. day: Knightsbridge to Notting Hill by bicycle - 3. day: Mayfair to Hampstead by foot - 4 day: Hampsteadt to Shoreditch by the underground - 5th day: Westminster to Greenwich by boat

- "Take It pseronally" - an article about bed and breakfast in London - totally different persons/rooms are described, who offer bed-and-breakfast

- "They came, they saw, they stayed" - 8 persons are introduced: a blogger, two fashion makers, a comedian, a beat-boxer, two designers, a gallerist, an architect, a baker - who came to London and found home

- an interview with Steffi Graf about Wimbledon and Olympic Games and her life

- "Race through a labyrinth" - an article about Heathrow during the Olympics - people who work there are introduced as well as how Heathrow works (with a short article about how the Olympic Flame was brought to the UK)

- "Real Underground" - an article about Jens Lehmann, the ex-goal keeper of the German national football team and London

- "Heathrow Satelitte pic"

The journalist from 'Der Spiegel' (he's actually Dutch) was on the BBC Radio 4 'Today' flagship morning news programme. He didn't come across particularly well and said that the Games should be in Manchester or Birmingham instead because there would be a greater profile raising and they'd have more impact on the local community. Clearly he doesn't get how these things work or the history of British Olympic bids...

He said he likes London in the summer but was still very critical in general.

Just listened to it..what an idiot! He seems to contradict himself time after time. He obviously doesn't have a clue what he is talking about by suggesting a games in Manchester or Birmingham. Is he not aware of previous bids and the fact that the IOC saying the only acceptable UK bid would be from London. He even suggests he doesn't really believe what he wrote himself but was playing up to a negative German readership.

Just listened to it..what an idiot! He seems to contradict himself time after time. He obviously doesn't have a clue what he is talking about by suggesting a games in Manchester or Birmingham. Is he not aware of previous bids and the fact that the IOC saying the only acceptable UK bid would be from London. He even suggests he doesn't really believe what he wrote himself but was playing up to a negative German readership.

Negative German readership? I don't have the impression that the German readership is very critical of London and the Games. Why should it? A very weak excuse.

Archived