Minneapolis/ St.Paul bid.

msp2032

I know the the Twin Cities had considered a 2020 bid. It was shelved. I would love to see the Olympics here in Minnesota one day. They certainly could use some the U of Minnesota facilities as well as the National Sports Center in Blaine. The sailing events could take place in Duluth. It could be a big financial boost for Minnesota. As for the Opening Ceremony they could convert the stadium floor into the north Minnesota Wilderness(a take on London's "English Country Side" segment.). Right now it is pure fantasy but maybe someday.

I'll be nice about this...but MSP has been discussed many many many times and most people on the forum universally rule it out. I'll just say that, aside from the final phase international competition, MSP would have a big hurdle to jump in getting past the USOC's vetting process. And given that the USOC failed with both NYC 2012 and Chicago 2016, they are going to take a bid strategy that is prudent, timely, presentable and prepared. That means that MSP is SOL.

What's been debated in previous threads (oftentimes with a condescending tone of superiority from self-believed Olympic "experts") is the differernce between "could" host a SOG vs. "will" host a SOG. Minneapolis technically COULD host a SOG in my opinion. I do live here and so will go out on a limb in saying I know more about this city's pros and cons than the rest of you. At 3.5 million metro population, it's on the smaller side of the 2 million population threshold, but our critical mass is comparable to cities such as Barcelona, Atlanta and Athens at the times they hosted. With 20 Fortune 500 corporations (5th highest among US cities), the money and associated corporate support is here, although we lack a globally-recognized consumer-oriented company presence such as Coca-Cola or Microsoft. (Target is just beginning to explore global expansion.) Facilities-wise, we would be in good shape, particularly if the planning for the new Vikings stadium (just getting underway) takes into account the future ability to host track and field and the associated opening/closing ceremonies.) Our rapid transit system (while nowhere near the level of a London, New York, Paris, etc.) continues to develop, with the second metro LRT line near completion, and two others planned for completion within the next 10 years. Finally on the intangbiles side, Minneapolis (and St. Paul) may arguably be the most European city in the U.S., both in terms of physical appearance, as well as in lifestyle and political outlook. Let's just say that no one from Europe would be expecting a "cowboy" games here like they would be in Dallas or strip-mall saturated Houston.

Now the second question is "will" Minneapolis host a SOG within the next say 50 years? I will certainly agree that it is highly, highly unlikely for two key reasons. First off if our relative lack of recognition on the international stage. Minneapolis is a business-oriented city, not a tourist-oriented one. While it is physically attractive, I would be the first to say we certainly don't have the panache of a Paris, Rome, or Istanbul. However, neither does Chicago so in and of itself, I don't see that as a big showstopper. The bigger issue is that, at 3.5 million people, we are still only the 15th largest metropolitan area within the U.S. Like I've said before when many of you have climaxed all over yourself about similar sized cities like Cape Town, Durban, or Vancouver, or the Australians on this board having wet dreams about Brisbane, it's much easier to get to the international round when you are the #2 or #3 city in a B-list country. Sorry if that sounds like snobbery, but it's true. Just like how Miss Texas almost always does well at the Miss USA pageant, the strongest competition for Minneapolis would come from having to beat out the likes of San Francisco, New York or Chicago. If and when the IOC and the Olympic movement itself ever reverts back to the applicants of the 1970s and 1980s like Montreal, Munich, Atlanta, Athens, etc. then I believe whatever US city goes up against that sized competition would likely fare well, provided the political winds weren't blowing into the Americans' faces.

Bottom line: COULD Minneapolis technically pull off the Olympics? It would take some very hard work and additional infrastructure not yet in place, but yes, I believe we could. WILL we host the SOG in my lifetime? Highly, highly unlikely. But let's stop acting like the **** in Vancouver, Brisbane and even Chicago doesn't stink any less than it does here.

Archived