Who will perform the Olympic Hymn?

My ideal scenario would be a choir along with the London Symphony Orchestra (even if they won't really perform live and will just mimic). The choir could be leaded by a major soprano/diva (Lesley would be a nice option like Scotguy suggested)

Oh, and they would use the english lyrics which were used in Atlanta and Vancouver. I don't think they'll sing it on greek again this time.

Hope it's a full gusto choir with both male and female sections.

Athens choir was all-male. Need the girls in there to balance the whole thing and hit the top notes with a bang.

Sydney did this with the National Greek Orthodox Choir and it came off beautifully and with great dramatic impact.

I wonder whether they'll continue the trend of the three previous Summer Olympics and perform the anthem in Greek. I'd rather guess they'll sing the English version this time around.

^^ Umm, Vancouver sung it in both English and French for both Opening and Closing Ceremonies. It was instrumental for several ceremonies including Torino.

There's no tradition with regards to which language it is sung. As long as it's either instrumental, Greek, English, French, the host language or a mix, provided that the lyrics are approved and the arrangement is approved.

I expect it to be in English. After all, if it is a well known English/British singer, they just wouldn't be doing it justice if it's sung in Greek for example. I could be totally wrong and they end up choosing a choir to sing it in English or Greek.

I believe it's now considered tradition to perform it in Greek at the opening ceremony, then sung in the host country's language at the closing ceremony.

Not even that is a tradition. In Beijing, they performed the Olympic Anthem in Greek at both the opening and the closing ceremonies.

Archived