Will the games even begin? asks the Los Angeles Times

Michelle

I know, I am often quick to criticise organizers when I see problems pop up, but the Los Angeles Times goes a step further. Rather sensationally, in my opinion.

By Henry Chu, Los Angeles Times

July 13, 2012

LONDON — Can the Games actually begin?

From airport tie-ups to security stumbles to the 50 shades of gray of London's "summer," British officials and organizers of the Olympics are fighting rising concerns over how ready this city is to host the world's biggest sporting event, which kicks off in two weeks.

Problems on London's overloaded transport network have angered commuters and embarrassed the government. Beach volleyball could turn into mud wrestling if record wet weather persists, though poncho and "brolly" vendors stand to earn gold.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-britain-olympic-woes-20120713,0,3123925.story

A little OTT, if you ask me.

As I stated, I disagree with this article, but found it news worthy in the sense that inaccuracies were being posted by well established and informed press (or not, as the case may be). That is what surprised me!

Am I having fun? Nooooo, my belly aches right now arghhhhhh!!!

PS - Gosh, Lee, how you have changed over the years. You really are a rather vile cretin these days!

2012 has done pretty well rolling with the punches - good press and bad - so far. To be honest, the M4 crack was miserable timing, the G4S thing was a shambles, and the weather has been rubbish. That's all fact. But the first two things are pretty much sorted now (even if more military is not really what we wanted), and we can only keep our fingers crossed about the weather - not much can be done about that.

These bumps will smooth out I'm sure. Record ticket sales, and all venues are ready. Teams are arriving in the next few days and the village looks great. The important things are all fine. As I said, just keep our fingers crossed with the weather.

"Goodness, our visitors aren't sugar; they're not going to dissolve if there's a bit of rain. They'll still have a great time." Says it all really, I like this woman. This is London, its gonna rain. Hopefully it won't rain too much but theres nowt we can do about it, absolutely nothing at all, we just need to enjoy the experience.

I certainly plan too : )

sadly this is a hugely sensationalist piece of shite journalism - something i would expect from the sun here in the uk. that said i read something not too far from this tone in the telegraph!

alas - there are certain people in certain nations (and in certain circles in britain) who would just love the brits to fail at staging these games. perhaps it would be revenge of all the years of colonial superiority lol! let's face facts us brits are not the most popular nation on the earth! i came to terms with that years ago!

the M4 has been sorted the G4S fiasco is being sorted & perhaps the rain will clear to improve conditions for the start of the games! it's not too bad here today and the outlook is improving!

bring on the games - they will be a huge success - rain or no rain!

Stop being so butt hurt. Get over it. Paris lost.

You're acting like an 8-year-old. Shake the sand out of your crotch and move on.

Michelle was a very passionate London supporter during the bidding actually. I am the only remaining regular poster to have supported Paris.

I listened to LBC the other night and had to switch it over. They had a so called expert on who had worked on previous Olympics in Sydney and I think Salt Lake. He was so inaccurate in almost everything he said that I was sitting in bed shouting at the radio. My neighbours must have thought I had gone mad. The presenter was praising him for his wealth of knowledge and yet he didn't even know that there was free transport for ticket holders at London 2012. The whole interview was so negative and downbeat. I felt like phoning in and asking them if they'd actually seen the Olympic park we have created. One of the best in Olympic history IMO...and I have seen lots. In the end I just couldn't be bothered.

Ya get what ya give. The British media was quick to criticize and belittle Vancouver. Only natural that other media outlets would do the same.

And stop making the Olympic Park out to be some magnificant thing. If London had lost the area would have still be redeveloped and not at the expense of the British taxpayers. Natural economics and planning would have meant it would be developed. Just like the railyard that was proposed as the site of NYC's Olympic stadium is now being developed by private funds.

Snabbare ?? Either you have been posting in a different subsection from me, or you have changed your name.... But i can't recall this screen name? Faster?

It's Faster, yes. In the members' profiles, you can see their nickname history.

I'm surprised, though, that you didn't change your name back after the end of the EURO sweepstakes, Faster. ;)

I look at rain more like this for London, instead of doom and gloom...

I agree Soaring! Im from Liverpool England, and although Im hearing rumours the weather is set to improve over the next few weeks, I can tell you now, catigorically and without any doubt it WILL rain sometime during the London olympics!!! So just enjoy it and smile (like this video made me do!)

I have to say the tone of the article is obnoxiously snarky and the first sentence "Can the Games begin?" is sheer stupidity.

However....

As near as I can tell the body of the article is factual, well-supported with quotes and cites information that has been reported by many other news agencies.

OF COURSE the Games will go on and I think they will be very well run and successful. Realistically, though the security, transportation issues and weather are newsworthy. I expect the Brits to cope with all of the above admirably. I'm sorry it was written in such a negative voice, but it isn't completely fictitious.

Every edition of the Games has its challenges. There are always naysayers. There will always be reporters who choose to magnify the negatives beyond reason. I don't think London should take it personally. They will deal with whatever comes along and stage great Games.

Ya get what ya give. The British media was quick to criticize and belittle Vancouver. Only natural that other media outlets would do the same.

the british media is not hosting london 2012 so i honestly don't get the comparison.

Archived