2012 Team New Zealand News

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sophie Pascoe landed another Silver overnight...Gooood! :D

Although it has been quiet on the medal front for the last few days...

Paralympics NZ's plan to only send definiate medal prospect may have backfired.

Only the last 2 days it has been quiet. Not sure what you mean by backfired?

I think it comes down to funding...

...More like NZPC over the top elegibility rules...This isn't the Olympics. There were many 'potentials' that wanted to compete and managed to find funds to travel. NZ has now equalled the Beijing total though but the team stands way down in the mid 20's on the table...Relying on Sophie Pascoe and a couple of others to bring in the booty is unfair and off-putting for those athletes that missed out going. :mellow:

...More like NZPC over the top elegibility rules...This isn't the Olympics. There were many 'potentials' that wanted to compete and managed to find funds to travel. NZ has now equalled the Beijing total though but the team stands way down in the mid 20's on the table...Relying on Sophie Pascoe and a couple of others to bring in the booty is unfair and off-putting for those athletes that missed out going. :mellow:

We finished 24th on the medal table 4 years ago. We have 13 medals which is one more medal than 4 years ago.

Agree with you but within reason. Potentials who will still be around in 2016 should have definitely been sent to gain experience.

We still have more opportunities to win medals.

Sophie Pascoe....GOLD!!!! :D (now three in her swag bag!!...oh and a couple of Silvers)

Pascoe is so impressive and she is still only 19 years old. Amazing stuff really.

14 medals now for New Zealand. 2 more than 4 years ago.

3 Golds and 3 Silvers ends Sophie Pascoe's Paralympics...a success! :D

A good Paralympics all round, considering the size of the team...I wonder what would have been if it as twice the size?... :huh:

17 Medals is a great achievement and several more than achieved 4 years ago. Not sure a team twice the size would have brought more medals. Team size doesn't = medals!

That's not the point...

It's allowing opportunity!... Just look at the Olympic team.

That's not the point...

It's allowing opportunity!... Just look at the Olympic team.

There were quite a number of athletes that qualified for the Olympic Team that werent selected due to the top 16 clause in the selection process... I know we qualified table tennis competitiors and our womens RSX was not selected due to failing to convince selectors that they could finish in the top 16.

The Olympic team had the most stringent qualification requirements of any team that has been sent away fro quite a while.

I cant really comment on the Paralympic qualification standards as I do not know enough about it.

Valerie Adams will finally receive her gold next week!

Disgraced drug cheat Nadzeya Ostapchuk has returned her tainted Olympic gold medal and it will be presented to London 2012 champion Valerie Adams in a public ceremony at The Cloud in downtown Auckland next Wednesday night.

Governor General Sir Jerry Mateparae will be the man to put the medal around Adams' neck in what is the first-ever Olympic gold ceremony on New Zealand soil.

The New Zealand Olympic Committee confirmed the ceremony has been added to a pre-existing function already scheduled at The Cloud, worked in conjunction with sponsor ANZ and Adams' management.

The night event will also feature the biggest fireworks displays New Zealand has ever seen with simultaneous displays in Auckland and Wellington.

"It's exactly what I wanted," Adams said this morning.

"A public celebration on the night I arrive back home is wonderful. I'm looking forward to celebrating the gold medal with the people of New Zealand, as well as my family and members of the New Zealand Olympic team."

Adams will be joined at the event by fellow gold medallists Mahe Drysdale, Eric Murray, Hamish Bond, Jo Aleh and Olivia Powrie and other medallists and members of the 2012 Olympic team.

The NZOC has elected to giveaway more than 2000 public tickets through radio competitions.

We've been working with Valerie to create a memorable event and are delighted to invite the people of New Zealand to share it," said NZOC secretary general Kereyn Smith.

"It will be a wonderful occasion that honours her achievements on the world's stage, as well the success of our proud London Olympic team.

"This is the very first time an Olympic gold medal will be presented in New Zealand and is an incredible opportunity for Kiwis to be proud and get involved."

:D Well there we are!...Mega Congrats to Valerie Adams!...Olympic Gold Medalist...Shot Put, London 2012! :D

:) So worthy! - A proud nation behind you.

Huge Fireworks display on Auckland Habour! (Thanks Kim.com)...and Wellington Habour.

Somehow the New Zealand 2012 Olympic Campain feels complete.

• 10 months later...

:mellow: On the eve of the Legacy Games...Double Olympic Shotputter, Valerie Adams has taken an almighty swipe at drugs cheat Nadzeya Obstapchuk pretty much for robbing her (and NZs) moment of a gold medal ceremony in the stadium that fateful night. She vows never to share the field with her again and pretty much said a few other unsavory comments about her.

She has also condemned those who have be caught out since 2012 and hopes stronger enforcement of IOC and global sports administrators rules show no mercy.

Valerie Adams is known for her forthright and sharp views which stems from a very large, genetically blessed, competitive sports family.

Should clean up in her event this week. :)

And the really stupid thing is this Belarusian fella will be able to compete in Rio.

Seb Coe was once again talking about the BOA pushing for four year bans for drugs cheats last night. Adams' story shows how right he is.

I agree. If you fail a drugs test you should be banned for life. Two year ban is hopeless. At e very lease they should be banned from attending and competing at the next Olympic Games.

.... this Belarusian fella will be able to compete in Rio...

:lol:

:) As predicted, Valerie Adams demolished the field in womans Shot Put.

Now off to the Worlds, being hosted by the epic centre of drugs cheating, Moscow.

Archived