2012 Team New Zealand News

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Silver! Congrats to Sarah Walker in the Womans BMX...A bonus, a sport that really does'nt belong in the Olympics...prehaps the Commonwealths...

Tough luck Black Sticks Chicks...At least you vindicated your 12th place last time, good effort...No go take off your clothes for a mens magazine...Pleeeeeeze! (Just kidding).

Silver! Congrats to Sarah Walker in the Womans BMX...A bonus, a sport that really does'nt belong in the Olympics...prehaps the Commonwealths...

Tough luck Black Sticks Chicks...At least you vindicated your 12th place last time, good effort...No go take off your clothes for a mens magazine...Pleeeeeeze! (Just kidding).

Really good silver for Sarah and our 12th medal at the games!

It is tough on the Black Sticks finishing 4th place, but still an improvement on their ranking. (I certainly agree there are some real stunners in the team including the Harrison twins!)

Our last real chance at the gmaes is Lisa Carrington who was highest qualifer for the final of the K1 200M. A medal there would equal 1988 as the games with the Most medals for New Zealand. Fingers Crossed.

I see NZ is now 15th on the table with 4 golds (congratulations). What's your best ever gold haul, total medal haul and highest finish on the table ever?

Most golds: 8 in LA 1984

Most ever: 13 in Seoul 1988

Highest finish: I think it was 8th also in LA 1984

A really solid effort from the Kiwis... Really stoked with the Kiwis.

We have one more big chance in the womens K1 200M Kayak where NZ qualified as fastest for the final. If we get a medal here it would equal the 13 in Seoul...

Overall, I'm satisfied with the result BUT did expect gold in some diciplines...Rowing stands out withe failure of the Fours in anything...NZ Rowing needs to look at this. Millions are spent on this sport. It is our premium event. We also need to look at why we we are relying on 'seated' sports. Need to boost track and field funding, there's hope. With the exception of the mens hockey....Team sport did well.

Rio is NOT going to be easy, the tropical heat, exoticness, and the step into the unusual will see if all that hard work over the next four years pays off.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the result BUT did expect gold in some diciplines...Rowing stands out withe failure of the Fours in anything...NZ Rowing needs to look at this. Millions are spent on this sport. It is our premium event. We also need to look at why we we are relying on 'seated' sports. Need to boost track and field funding, there's hope. With the exception of the mens hockey....Team sport did well.

Rio is NOT going to be easy, the tropical heat, exoticness, and the step into the unusual will see if all that hard work over the next four years pays off.

Who else were you expecting gold from other than Valerie?

I agree that the fours were disappointing. Didnt expect medals, but thought they would have at lease made A finals. In terms of 'seated' sports we need to focus on what we are good at , but do agree more funding is needed for Athletics. My biggest disappointment was the failure of the swim team other than Lauren Boyle. We should have had more A finals with competitors well off their personal bests. Mens hockey also a disappointment, I expected them to at lest match their 7th world ranking!

No Olympic games is easy, no matter where they are, but yes RIO is certainly a step into the unknown, just as Beijing was! High performance sport New Zealand now needs to build on the successes of London as the public will expect more in four years time!

Swimming NZ is in total disarray...I wouldn't bother with funding untill 2020. Get their house in order first.

T&F, we all hoped for Adams to Gold. But for me the total let down was Nick Willis...However, there is going to be some severe arsekicking at Athletics NZ...It needs to be done, this was not a f###ing primary school meet! I'dve got sacked for what happened if it was at my work. I will expect the same. This was not a mistake by one, but by all at head office.

The 'obscure' sports need to profile as well. Not all our kids are lean trim middleclass and white...Which is the general colour of our Olympic team. The martial arts, boxing and wrestling need to feature. Using the Sevens as our Polynesian element doesn't cut it. Considering enough of them work in our warehouses, and yet we only sent one weightlifter...and he was white.

Over the next few weeks, anyone who's job has a 'psy' at the start of its name will do well...we could've got to 20 medals as they were in reach.

Less funding for Dole scroungers...More for go getters.

Let's see how Glasgow pans out. Well Done NZ Olympic team.

Swimming NZ is in total disarray...I wouldn't bother with funding untill 2020. Get their house in order first.

T&F, we all hoped for Adams to Gold. But for me the total let down was Nick Willis...However, there is going to be some severe arsekicking at Athletics NZ...It needs to be done, this was not a f###ing primary school meet! I'dve got sacked for what happened if it was at my work. I will expect the same. This was not a mistake by one, but by all at head office.

The 'obscure' sports need to profile as well. Not all our kids are lean trim middleclass and white...Which is the general colour of our Olympic team. The martial arts, boxing and wrestling need to feature. Using the Sevens as our Polynesian element doesn't cut it. Considering enough of them work in our warehouses, and yet we only sent one weightlifter...and he was white.

Over the next few weeks, anyone who's job has a 'psy' at the start of its name will do well...we could've got to 20 medals as they were in reach.

Less funding for Dole scroungers...More for go getters.

Let's see how Glasgow pans out. Well Done NZ Olympic team.

Certainly agree with you regarding athletics NZ. Bl##dy hopeless and if it was any of us we would have been sacked. The media won't let this story die... Murray McCully is going to be meeting with the NZOC and athletics NZ in response to the issue. Vals manager has requested this meeting.

I certainly agree that there should be more money for go getters! Its something positive and something that all New Zealanders get in and support. More emphasis must be given to sport!

20 medals would be the dream - but definitely something we should be working towards. We can achieve it.

I must say I don't know what I am going to do once the games are over... A bit flat feeling really... Oh well back to reality and back to work.

Yeah same...Rugby Champs start next week. ABs back on top...Olympics all but forgotten.

Still, thank goodness we got Gamesbids Forum and next year its 2020 bid time!...Gooo Istanbul!

You see if Sky gets to build that convention centre, then we could host an IOC Bid Round Summit!

Good on you Kiwis! You have every reason to be pleased and proud!

Yeah! A good stash in our bag! The learnings from Sydney pays off!

I hope the Olympians get home in time for a parade before NZ returns to Rugby mode!

Yeah! A good stash in our bag! The learnings from Sydney pays off!

I hope the Olympians get home in time for a parade before NZ returns to Rugby mode!

The team needs some formal recognition for their efforts!

More regional than anything...At least something at Auckland Airport.

I hope the womens Hockey team hold it together for a few more days...looks like they mentally disintergrated after the Holland match. They have done themselves proud!

See how we go in the Javlen tonight...There is a chance for a bronze.

More regional than anything...At least something at Auckland Airport.

I hope the womens Hockey team hold it together for a few more days...looks like they mentally disintergrated after the Holland match. They have done themselves proud!

See how we go in the Javlen tonight...There is a chance for a bronze.

Yes... A bronze would be a huge result. I am picking top 8.

Watching the 50km 'Walking'...They are all cheating! THERE ARE ONLY EIGHT FOOT FALL REFS on the whole course.

Definitly needs looking at. HDTV really shows up the flaw here. These guys are murdering themselves though...It should be dumped...Quenten did will though.

Archived