The Official Forecast: Rain, Rain & more Rain!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BBC forecast has just changed, now showing thundery downpours and rain showers well into Friday evening.

I give up, never known a forecast for a particular day to change so much. It's like the weather gods are playing with us.

Let's just wait till Friday, as no doubt the forecast will change another 50 times before the big day.

Certainly is strange weather, latest report I saw had the met office downgrading rain reports from Friday evening, saying if there is any rain it should pass by Friday arvo - I dunno, best just to ignore and see what happens when coverage starts.

Certainly is strange weather, latest report I saw had the met office downgrading rain reports from Friday evening, saying if there is any rain it should pass by Friday arvo - I dunno, best just to ignore and see what happens when coverage starts.

Exactly. I'm obsessing over weather forecasts - all we can do is wait and see and make the best of whatever comes.

2ilh9p4.jpg

Here is the latest forecast from the MetOffice in the UK @ 4pm on Friday. They are hoping that by 9pm, the showers will have passed, but are still uncertain about this. Forecast seems to be deteriorating however.

The worst part is that up until 2pm in London on Friday its to be beautiful, and then Saturday will be another relatively sunny day. It seems the period between 4pm and 11pm on Friday is still uncertain, with risk of thundery showers.

:)

"The long-awaited summer spell is forecast to continue on Thursday and, for London and the south, into Friday with previous warnings about rain affecting the Olympics' opening ceremony on Friday night now downgraded. The Meteorological Office says the possibility remains but the signs are that any showers or possibly thundery downpours after high humidity will cross London on Friday afternoon and have moved on before the 9pm launch of the spectacular show."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jul/25/london-2012-sunshine-high-temperatures

The weather forecasts seem to be so unpredicatable! I have my fingers crossed it will be fine.

Am just watching the start of the womens football between New Zealand and GBR and it looks nice and fine in Cardiff.

After years of following British weather forecasts I never believe those single picture representations of the daily weather. Most days I see cloud symbols for UK weather and in fact they turn out to be rather pleasant days with lots of sunshine. Most days dont normally turn out to be as grey as the pictures would suggest. The only thing I go by is the temperatures that are given around 3 days out. They are a generally quite accurate and a good represntation and of what the weather will at least feel like.

The weather has changed again, showing improvement on bbc weather now. There is still hope.

It had been showing improvement and their latest video also showed improvement. Then an hour after the video posted, they updated the forecast for Friday again, to this

90zpkk.jpg

I just feel they have no idea what the weather is going to do on Friday - as their updates change by the hour. It's crazy.

The jet stream is on its way southwards yet again, which was not expected! That is why some websites are only showing temperatures of 14C on some of the afternoons for next week, specifically Tuesday - Thursday. Looks like the last few days in London will be long forgotten, come Monday :/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulhudson/2012/07/jet-stream-set-to-spoil-summer.shtml

I think the endurance athletes i.e. marathon, cycling, triathlon will welcome the drop in temperatures and maybe a little rain - but the watching public will hope we don't get heavy continuous rain and hope they are brief and transient. The Opening Ceremony will just boil down to radar watching on the night itself. Nobody knows weather that 9pm-Midnight slot will turn out to be lucky or fall victim to sods law.

Archived