Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

A New York City Olympic Games Considered

Ok I am a New Yorker at heart and would love for the games to be held here But... um this is New York Where r they planning to put this new stadium? Who's going to use the aquatics center. though We usually complain that there are no olympic sized pools in NYC. The biggest turn off though will be the crowds. NYC is crowded enough during the summer but the article is right if there is any city in America that would have paying patrons to come out and see the games it's going to be NYC.

For me it's Iffy. I am happy but I think Chicago might be a bit better.

Ok I am a New Yorker at heart and would love for the games to be held here But... um this is New York Where r they planning to put this new stadium? Who's going to use the aquatics center. though We usually complain that there are no olympic sized pools in NYC. The biggest turn off though will be the crowds. NYC is crowded enough during the summer but the article is right if there is any city in America that would have paying patrons to come out and see the games it's going to be NYC.

I was discussing with a guy from FINA in Quebec at SportAccord, and from their pov, a permanent aquatic center is not necessary for their main international competition. You could host a world champ or the olympics with temporary facilities....

There is at least as much buzz for NYC 2024 as their is for Tulsa.

Seriously. Why? Are you trying to look smart and superior? So negative.

I agree. Chicago would be FAR superior and DEFINITELY the best American option.

I'm hoping these murmurings from New York will give legitimacy to the notion of a 2024 bid and stir some interest from others -- especially Chicago.

Okay, where is this info coming from? It also talks about Chicago N Dallas giving New York some good competition. I'm sorry, but until I hear it from city officials &/or the mayor's office, all of this is just talk by some people.

Okay, where is this info coming from? It also talks about Chicago N Dallas giving New York some good competition. I'm sorry, but until I hear it from city officials &/or the mayor's office, all of this is just talk by some people.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/new-york-city-mentioned-potential-site-2024-2026-olympic-games-article-1.1109771

New York might just be what the USOC needs for the IOC to get hard for an American bid again with South Africa, Paris and god knows who else on the ballot.

But how does Bloomberg feel about this?

New York might just be what the USOC needs for the IOC to get hard for an American bid again with South Africa, Paris and god knows who else on the ballot.

But how does Bloomberg feel about this?

He'd be out of office by then, wouldn't he?

This hardly is anything different than what GB reported. Like I said, unless something comes out from city officials i.e. the mayor's office, all this is nothing but speculation N talk for all the cities mentioned.

Everything is speculation at this point. We're hardly into 2020, remember? Bloomberg won't even be mayor when the bid process for 2024 begins.

Edited by nykfan845

FYI, before you even posed that question I had written a long post on that issue of where is this coming from but i chose not to post it because i thought it would be overkill to a point aI made in a previous thread. However since you asked.

I feel as though there have been hidden meetings and discussions about this all along while the Rev sharing deal was being hammered out. I have always held onto the notion that a winter olympics was never on the table for the US. I feel the fact that the article says stiff competition from Chicago goes to show that the race had already started before this article and this really has been discussed not just by city officials but by the USOC who were really not that enthused when Reno Tahoe and Dever and Salt Lake went public with Winter intentions.

The fact that a mere week after the first article was published, about the US looking at possible bid for 2024, that we now have front runners for a US bid as defined by USOC official close to the proceedings also tells me this was the plan all along. I get it you need more evidence to prove this but the reality is 1) It's still a fresh story. 2 Both Chicago as well as NYC have to slowly get it's citizens excited again to bid. those last 2 snubs hugely impacted enthusiasm for hosting the olympics not just for the city citizens but the American population on a whole. You can't just drop the bomb again that you want to bid especially after Chicago and to a further extent the snub by FIFA with the 2022 World Cup. It has to be a gradual reintroduction to the idea. If I were there PR person I would wait until after the london games to put forth the idea to the public of my city. By that time the excitement of the games will be high. Stories of athletic greatness will fuel the passion of so many young people and the thought of seeing their children, who have now been recently energized to take up a sport after watching the games (And that has been a noticeable trend over the years, just look at how gymnastics were affected after the 96 team, or swimming after Michael Phelps), the thought of seeing them compete on home soil in the olympics will fuel support. Even if their kids drop out of the sport the sentiment to host will still linger.

This hardly is anything different than what GB reported. Like I said, unless something comes out from city officials i.e. the mayor's office, all this is nothing but speculation N talk for all the cities mentioned.

Nobody is saying this is a guaranteed bid, but come on. For years you've been saying the lack of buzz is proof that no Alpha city apart from LA could throw its hat in the ring for 2024. Since news of the revenue deal broke we've heard multiple stories that mention NYC, Chicago and Dallas (interestingly they omit LA -- the leading possibility in your opinion). Now you're saying the buzz is not to be trusted and that the only thing that will persuade you is a statement from the mayor.

And yet you still get angry with me for pointing out your negativity....

Ok, FYI. Time will tell. You may just get that statement you're looking for. Even if you do I'm sure you'll insist that you thought Chicago and NYC were possibilities all along.

I don't get angry, u just frustrate me cuz u take my words outta context. As usual, I don't C how saying some things R unlikely, based on what we knew, was being "negative". I guess you'll also say that Quaker2001 was also being negative since he shared the same sentiment.

N of course the possibilty was there, I just didn't C it as great as u did. So again, how is that negative. Y must everything be like right or wrong with u. I'd still like to C where they get their info on Chicago or Dallas other than just simply throwing their names out there. N to use another one of your infamous lines, omitting LA doesn't really prove anything.

Ok Ladies calm down lol.

It's still fresh. I can see how others will need proof however I think if the USOC wants to bid for 2024 every major Alpha city is discussing the possibility not just the ones mentioned, some with more enthusiasm than others but considering it none the less so I won't be surprise if LA and Philly are in the mix as well. I feel the Article pin pointed those three because Chitown and NYC were the last bids and Dallas has been on the tip for awhile now.

I'm the one who's always saying "wait and see" and qualifying everything, yet you accuse me of seeing things in black and white.

These news stories are reminders of how much we DON'T know and how many Gamesbidders make proclamations with an air of certainty that is really not justified.

And nix the "ladies", alpha. You wouldn't try that one on for size if you met me in person.

This thread has already turned rotten. Good Lord . . .

Yeah, that's why I rarely comment in the US bid threads. One: I'm sure you guys don't take kindly to anyone pissing in from outside the Team America tent. Two: I can never really figure out what you're all arguing about - the nuances of heated debate points are just too microscopically fine and hair-splitting to my observation.

Anyway, NYC would probably be the top of my personal wishlist for a games anywhere at the moment.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

Go ahead and weigh in any time, Rols.

Personally, NYC would not be my first choice. I worry the Games will be lost in the city and that New Yorkers will view the Olympics as as an obstacle rather than a celebration. I'd much prefer Chicago or LA.

I'm interested in hearing what you find appealing about the idea though, Rols.

Ok, Joanne, what do you think of the Games in NYC? What do you make of the stadium/aquatics center issue?

Honestly, I'm iffy. It's just speculation at this point and we're way, way early in the process. At least this further suggests that there may have been NYC interest in 2020 had there been a US bid.

Would I love the Games in NYC? Absolutely. They will always be a public support issue, however. It's not going to be easy to convince NYers to spend billions of dollars on a Games. But who knews where the US economy will be in 4-5 years?

We at least know that there actually has been talk and interest in bidding again. That much we haven't known before.

I don't believe at all that a Games would be lost in NYC whatever that means

Edited by nykfan845

I'm interested in hearing what you find appealing about the idea though, Rols.

Simple. It's THE Big Apple. It's probably the main US city that I feel has the potential to fire the world's enthusiasm and imagination. And it's never hosted yet - that always scores points in my personal preferences. I was all the way behind the 2012 bid, until it became clear the NYC bid team we're doing their own best to ensure they couldn't win it. By then London's enthusiasm converted me.

I'd just love to see a US East Coast games in its biggest, most well-known and breath-taking metropolis.