Sochi 2014 ceremony news and speculation

Did we maybe miss the announcement of the ceremonial production team? Danny Boyle was named London's opening ceremony director in June 2010, David Atkins was even named already in September 2007 for Vancouver, so it should have happened already a long time ago in Sochi's case.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right guys, it seems like the Sochi contract has gone to Scott Givens and the team at Five Currents . They of course, are part of the London 2012 ceremonies consortium.

He produced the Guadalajara 2011 Pan American Games opening ceremony as well as the Salt Lake 2002 OC

He produced the Guadalajara 2011 Pan American Games opening ceremony as well as the Salt Lake 2002 OC

Kind of.

I believe in Salt Lake he was more like the entire creative director of image for SLOC, not the ceremonies as such - that position was taken by Don Mischer Productions. But Scott was certainly involved heavily in Salt Lake, and seems to have worked himself into Olympic circles as an advisor on image and design.

I think he cut his teeth on producing card stunts,.

I've only read the information on him getting the contract on wiki and one other website, it mentions the stadium has/is being constructed to fit his requirements, should be interesting.

It's funny how the various production companies come in and out of favour. It was only 10 years ago when Jack Morton Worldwide was the big player (producing Manchester, Athens and Melbourne), what has happened to them and their big creative head honcho David Zolkwer?

Kind of.

I believe in Salt Lake he was more like the entire creative director of image for SLOC, not the ceremonies as such - that position was taken by Don Mischer Productions. But Scott was certainly involved heavily in Salt Lake, and seems to have worked himself into Olympic circles as an advisor on image and design.

I think he cut his teeth on producing card stunts,.

I've only read the information on him getting the contract on wiki and one other website, it mentions the stadium has/is being constructed to fit his requirements, should be interesting.

It's funny how the various production companies come in and out of favour. It was only 10 years ago when Jack Morton Worldwide was the big player (producing Manchester, Athens and Melbourne), what has happened to them and their big creative head honcho David Zolkwer?

In Atlanta, Givens was a subcontract producer for the 'Summertime' segment.

Then, very briefly, he was the head man of San Francisco's very short-lived 2016 Olympics bid in 2006-2007.

Wow. That guy knows how to schmooz. Since Rio didn't ask him back for 2016, he was able to win the Russians' favor for Sochi. I wonder if Johnny Weir was part of his lobbying team.

sochi4.jpg

*whistle* For a OWG, that is pretty impressive in scope. I actually have to wonder how in the world Sochi will fill all those seats.

Also looks like the return of the cauldron tower, so the lighting procedure should be interesting. As long as we are not back to Torino's pyro techniques, we're good.

• 2 months later...

Russia to Wow with Olympic Opening Ceremony

MOSCOW—Following the success of the 2008 Olympics opening ceremony in Beijing and the much-talked about event that kicked-off this summer’s games in London, Russia is pulling out all the stops to make sure the opening ceremony for 2014 Winter Games in Sochi are nothing short of spectacular.

A fleet of ships under the command of Peter the Great, scenes recreated from Nikolai Gogol’s masterwork “Dead Souls” and a variety of Russian fairy tales will be part of a special effects-laden event that will also feature plenty of ice, reports Russian newspaper Izvestia.

The event, called “Welcome to Sochi,” will be held on Feb. 7, 2014. It will be broken into nine parts representing different stages of Russian history, the paper said citing unnamed officials from the committee organizing the games.

The first part will have three large crews of people re-enacting the scene from Gogol while the Olympic rings rise up out of an ice arena. They will be followed by horses bearing a giant Russian flag who will introduce a segment of the ceremony called “The Heart of Kremlin.”

Next up will be a celebration of Russia’s geographical highlights like Mt. Elbrus, Lake Baikal, the volcanoes of Kamchatka and the Ural Mountains. After that the ceremony will focus on the different ethnicities of Russia.

At this point, the Olympic teams will be introduced, followed by a section on medieval Russia, called “Legends on Ice,” featuring warriors and mermaids from traditional fairy tales.

Imperial Russia will then take the stage as a fleet of five ships commanded by Peter the Great sail in along with sets depicting the opulence of the Tsars.

A section on the 20th century will pay homage to Russia’s industrial development with scenes featuring locomotives, bridges and sculptures. The ceremony will then end with the lighting of the Olympic flame.

It is not yet known how much the opening ceremony in Sochi will cost. The ceremony in London this summer, directed by “Trainspotting” filmmaker Danny Boyle, cost a reported $42 million. The 2008 event in Beijing, which featured 14,000 performers, cost a reported $100 million.

The opening ceremony of the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow was well received around the world despite a boycott of the games by 65 countries led by the United States in protest of the Soviet Union’s invasion of Afghanistan the year before

http://blogs.wsj.com...ening-ceremony/

^^ Is there another article which confirms this? It's weird that they have leaked so many details but haven't said much about the producers (is Fivecurrents, right?)

If all of these details are true this seems like a very, very promising opening ceremony, and it has raised my expectations. I just hope Fivecurrents do it right. To be honest i was dissapointed with the 2011 Pan Am Ceremonies (but pleased with all their previous works)

It sound promising and exactly how I think it's going to be: a large ice stage, lots of dancing, formations & projections on the ice.

Very Salt Lake. Yes, use of Russian legends and fairy tales ...so the Firebird theme for the Lighting w/ maybe the Faberge eggs (if they ask me). (I'm guessing their Ceremonies budget -- (for all 4) would be around $125 mil.)

Jose, I think it's not important for 5currents to be mentioned anymore. They are just a subcontractor now; and the important thing ishe got signed -- so he will get his $2.5 million fee (my guess).

I think this is going to be spectacular. I'm almost tempted to buy tickets. Anyone wanna go?

Here's the original Izvestia article regarding the opening ceremony

http://izvestia.ru/news/537707

I used Google Translator to try to understand what it says. It gives slighty more details than the article posted by Gotosy

Sochi Olympics will open Peter I, 33 heroes and mermaids

"News" has learned details of the opening ceremony of the 2014 Olympic Games

Open the Olympic Games in Sochi, the heroes of Russian fairy tales will be the first Russian emperor. The ceremony will be held February 7, 2014 at the Central Stadium in Sochi. The details of the opening ceremony of the Sochi-2014 "News" said a source close to the Agency for the opening and closing ceremonies, which is responsible for the script of the holiday. The script has already been agreed with the International Olympic Committee.

- However, for the remaining time of opening the script may change. There are other scenarios, but this option - basic, - said a source.

The show will take place on three stages. The whole ceremony will consist of nine stages - each of them will talk about the different stages of Russian history.

In the first part with the working title "Russia: Welcome to Sochi" uses the image of three. Three crews will arrive on three sides and promchatsya the road, illuminated by the sun, in the second stage. Apparently, it is an original quote from Gogol's "Dead Souls." At the same time, in the third stage will be the five Olympic rings, and the first - Ice Arena. Then replace horses silk flag of Russia, which in the course of the episode "Heart of the Kremlin" take off.

Next on the ice arena will appear Kamchatka, the Ural Mountains, Chukotka, Elbrus, the lake, the White Sea, etc. All of these elements merge into a single entity, which is the sun will shine again. This performance Sochi organizing committee called "a lot of people - one nation." Him to begin the protocol part - pass Olympians "Here heroes."

When teams come out on stage all the countries participating in the Olympic Games, will begin the next part of the show - "Legends under ice", dedicated to medieval Russia. Against the background of the nine church towers will be heroes of Russian fairy tales - the mermaid and 33 warrior.

The next part - "Imperial Russia." At the first stage will be a fleet of five ships under the command of Peter the Great, and the second - "imperial interior" 22 columns, chandeliers 5 different sizes and 10 fountains.

Of Imperial Russia will take viewers to the XX century. Organizers will create atmosphere of the time with architectural structures (on the stage will be 15 buildings) and geometric shapes (circle, cone, cube, sphere). The whole urban surroundings will be filled rain. On the next scene will show six locomotives, six bridges and sculptures.

Finished appearance of the Olympic Flame ceremony.

In the summer of 2011 Organizing Committee "Sochi 2014" announced a competition for the best script and closing ceremonies of the Olympics. The winners are named, but their ideas decided to refuse.

- The script just does not hold water. Still, without some experience to create a full script is simply impossible - Ilya Bachurin, the former director general of the Agency for the opening and closing ceremonies, the organizing committee was created specifically for the opening and closing of the Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Symbols of Russia included in the scenario of the Games, the experts approve.

- In Russian fairy tales can be sent and distinct culture of the country and show costumes, so it is a good idea - the president of Group CD Land Yuri Zeitlin. - As for Peter, this is quite a cult figure, well-known in the West, most likely, therefore, chose him.

In this companion publication emphasizes that the realization of the scenario should not overshadow.

- The opening of the Olympic Games in London, won the audience just what a unique script was well done from a technical point of view, so to speak, what is more important - for example, special effects, or, conversely, the content can not be - said Zeitlin. - I think that the effects we will not be worse than that of other countries. But this is not the key to success as a two-bit dramatic technological bells and whistles will not save. A good script and a set of special effects will allow us to be better than the British, and maybe even better.

But just to say that the opening ceremony will be precisely this, while it is impossible. For the remaining time it can seriously adjusted.

- All you can alter and three days before the event - says producer Arkady Gasilovsky. - However, the Olympic scale are unlikely to do so, but the room for maneuver remains.

The organizing committee "Sochi-2014" to comment on the script of the Olympic Games have refused.

- Information on the opening and closing ceremonies are not public. Organizers are not traditionally open secret until the start of the ceremony - said the organizing committee.

Information on the cost of the Games is also not disclosed. At the opening of the Olympic Games this year, Britain has spent $ 42 million ceremony in Vancouver two years ago, was worth $ 40 million

First post ever!!!!

Today, Thursday 18 October, 2014, The Sochi 2014 organizing commitee unveiles the script for the Opening Ceremony of the 2014 Winter Games...

MOSCOW—Following the success of the 2008 Olympics opening ceremony in Beijing and the much-talked about event that kicked-off this summer’s games in London, Russia is pulling out all the stops to make sure the opening ceremony for 2014 Winter Games in Sochi are nothing short of spectacular.

A fleet of ships under the command of Peter the Great, scenes recreated from Nikolai Gogol’s masterwork “Dead Souls” and a variety of Russian fairy tales will be part of a special effects-laden event that will also feature plenty of ice, reports Russian newspaper Izvestia.

The event, called “Welcome to Sochi,” will be held on Feb. 7, 2014. It will be broken into nine parts representing different stages of Russian history, the paper said citing unnamed officials from the committee organizing the games.

The first part will have three large crews of people re-enacting the scene from Gogol while the Olympic rings rise up out of an ice arena. They will be followed by horses bearing a giant Russian flag who will introduce a segment of the ceremony called “The Heart of Kremlin.”

Next up will be a celebration of Russia’s geographical highlights like Mt. Elbrus, Lake Baikal, the volcanoes of Kamchatka and the Ural Mountains. After that the ceremony will focus on the different ethnicities of Russia.

At this point, the Olympic teams will be introduced, followed by a section on medieval Russia, called “Legends on Ice,” featuring warriors and mermaids from traditional fairy tales.

Imperial Russia will then take the stage as a fleet of five ships commanded by Peter the Great sail in along with sets depicting the opulence of the Tsars.

A section on the 20th century will pay homage to Russia’s industrial development with scenes featuring locomotives, bridges and sculptures. The ceremony will then end with the lighting of the Olympic flame.

It is not yet known how much the opening ceremony in Sochi will cost. The ceremony in London this summer, directed by “Trainspotting” filmmaker Danny Boyle, cost a reported $42 million. The 2008 event in Beijing, which featured 14,000 performers, cost a reported $100 million.

The opening ceremony of the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow was well received around the world despite a boycott of the games by 65 countries led by the United States in protest of the Soviet Union’s invasion of Afghanistan the year before.

LINK:

0301-sochi-olympics-2014_full_600.jpg

olimpic_object.JPG

#1 - Nacho, I think we should combine this with the other thread on Opening Ceremony. I will ask Mod to combine them into one.

#2 - Is that the latest design for the stadium? I thought the last one was a FULL roof but open at the 2 ends. The perspective above seems very confining given what they have just revealed in the script. Just the 5 ships for the Peter the Great sequence--which I think will magically transform into the 5 Olympic rings -- will require fairly spacious entrance & exit gates...NOT to mention all the rest of the show to come.

Also, from the script, it seems there will be a lot of flying scenery, performers and projections which a fuller roof would require.

But at least, we have glimpses of how ambitious the productions will be. I cannot imagine what they will have in store for the Closing...and I hope Korea does NOT present a sappy Handover segment.

here we go again...! ! ! I hope they present the show with a FANTASTIC music ( A-la Athens 2004 ) also tremendous work on cinematography, great TV angels, excellent editing,(even thou is Live)..

Sochi 2014 has to bring something NEW, something more cinematic, something "WOW" for the TV audience. intimidating in a way, intellectual piece of Visual Art.

I'm dying to find out who the Creative Team is, and most important their Budget..

We know Scott Givens of 5 Currents is the producer/director of ceremonies, but will be interesting to see who he has included in his Russian artistic/creative team.

I also wonder what theatrical *device* (if any) will be used here. (ie: water, ice, curtains, led chair lights etc etc)

Sochi 2014 has to bring something NEW, something more cinematic, something "WOW" for the TV audience. intimidating in a way, intellectual piece of Visual Art.

I'm dying to find out... and most important their Budget..

No. THey don't have to present something NEW. Thank God, they're not going to try for a pretentious Danny Boyle presentation. From the looks of it, it will be a rather, old-fashioned-type ceremony but with a very STRONG, multi-thread narrative. It will be a big ice show...which is the strength of Russia(n theatre). An ice show with some American know-how and pazzaz!!

Budget, Ozkar? My guess (as I did on the other post), at least $125 million -- which is chicken feed compared to what they are spending for these Games. I think that'll buy a lot for the 4 shows they will be doing.

Regular "O" Opening - very traditional; spectacular (it will be like very heavy opera cum Doha 2006 on ice).

Regular "O" Closing - more modern; a lot of their contemporary, rock groups perhaps and showcasing Russia's strengths as a resurgent nation. Wouldn't be surprised to see some of their "space" triumphs, etc., etc.

1. We know Scott Givens of 5 Currents is the producer/director of ceremonies, but will be interesting to see who he has included in his Russian artistic/creative team.

2. I also wonder what theatrical *device* (if any) will be used here. (ie: water, ice, curtains, led chair lights etc etc)

1. I'd think people from Russian ballet, opera and circus; and perhaps the Ice Capades talents from the Netherlands (esp. since there will be a Peter the Great section).

2. Theatrical gimmick - I think we saw part of that in the Vancouver Handover with the figure-skating vignettes. If that roof will become a reality, I think it'll be a 360 degree-type theatrical show -- a Salt Lake-type ice show but with a lot more acrobatics and projections on top (i.e., from the roof) which SLC couldn't avail of.

This clip provides a glimpse of the very heavy, dramatic (both in presentation and costumes) tone which I think will pervade the Sochi OC per those latest press releases.

Notice Bukhin's pouffed and blown-dried hair! :lol:

I would agree with most of that. I think Sochi and Russia are in the position of being able to give us a tour d force of Russian history, it's something you can really only do once (Australia did it in Sydney, but you wouldn't do the same again), and it'll be a welcome change from the more *concept* based ceremonies of late. Nothing against those, but good to shake it up abit.

I think we may also see a change in Closing Ceremonies aswell, possibly going more down the road of Barcelona. A little bit less of the concert based closing , and back to a more regimented script. I imagine we may see the return of a large anchor artistic segment in the closing, like the fire festival we had in Barcelona. Just a hunch.

, and most important their Budget..

Ozkar, just checked the notes from my book again. Per the 2014 bid book, they had budgeted $46 mil for all Ceremonies originally. However, I think based on what Beijing, Vancouver and London have done, + all the OC plans now outlined, I think that will definitely go up to at least $110 mil. [Out of that, remember they have to get 4 Ceremonies, the nightly Awards/Medals shows, the 2010 Handover portion (my guess for that alone was already like a $2.75 mil production), and whatever they want to allocate for the whole Torch Lighting/Relay circus as well.]

For their original bid alone, veteran observes of the Olympic scene stopped counting at $90 million. The Russkies are still suffering from the sting of the 1980 boycott, and it's like they want to go all out to show the world what it missed in 1980.

I would agree with most of that. I think Sochi and Russia are in the position of being able to give us a tour d force of Russian history, it's something you can really only do once (Australia did it in Sydney, but you wouldn't do the same again), and it'll be a welcome change from the more *concept* based ceremonies of late. Nothing against those, but good to shake it up abit.

I think we may also see a change in Closing Ceremonies aswell, possibly going more down the road of Barcelona. A little bit less of the concert based closing , and back to a more regimented script. I imagine we may see the return of a large anchor artistic segment in the closing, like the fire festival we had in Barcelona. Just a hunch.

I think you are right in terms of the return to a "national story" based Ceremony with Sochi. I think while London's ceremony was largely well received, not every Olympic host is London.. and unlike the British capital the hosts of 2014, 2016 and 2018 all have bigger blank cheques and something to prove... and a story to tell. In this capacity I can see 2016 not just being about the story of Rio or Brazil - but of all of South America.

Archived