No 2022 Winter Bid From USOC

GBModerator

It is Canada turn to host the Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games the USA hosted two Summer Games in 1984 Los Angeles and 1996 Atlanta Mexico is not ready for the Main Olympics and Paralympics Games yet and looks like Guadalajara Mexico is a frontrunner for the 2018 Youth Olympics Games, Toronto Canada will be hosting the 2015 Pan American Games which if they do a great job then they will be like Rio de Janeiro Brazil hosted the Pan American Games and then hosted the Olympics and Paralympics Games 9 years later.

The United States of America could host both the Winter Olympics and Summer Olympics with in 6 years again by 2026 it will have been 16 years since the last games will be held in North America and Reno - Lake Tahoe will keep growing to be a major place and in the future a hub for Winter Sports and the Summer Olympics Games in Los Angeles for the Centennial for the for the 1st Games in Los Angeles in 1932 if it were not for Los Angeles then the Olympics Games could not be running today Los Angeles saved the Olympics Movement 2 times and I think the IOC will like to go back to Los Angeles for the 3rd time + Everybody loves Los Angeles and they put on great games.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, two black eyes against Toronto's potential bid for 2024 is that:

1. Canada is the only Summer Olympics host nation that hasn't won a gold medal on home soil, and,

2. Some in the IOC still sees Montreal 1976 as a liability not to be repeated again, from the Olympic torch relay to the "reception of the English language" made by Queen Elizabeth II (at her opening of the Games as head of state) by certain Quebecers. Remember, ONLY French was used in those Games. English was a "no-no" back then, even though it is one of two official languages of the Olympic Movement. As far as I know, Montreal 1976 was the only Summer Olympics, where one of the official languages was not used, due to the atmosphere of the day then.

However, that does not mean the USA is in better shape than a possible Canadian bid for 2024. Anyone remember the bomb in 1996? That idiot of a guy pretty much sent a death knell in making the USA a good choice to host future Olympic Games. Look at Germany. After that terrorist attack at Munich 1972, Germany has not hosted an Olympic Games since. Of course, look at the way the IOC voted for the 2012 and 2016 Olympic Games host cities. American candidates did not fare well there. Russia seem to make an exception, after that huge boycott of 1980 with getting 2014. However, there were only 3 candidate cities for those Winter Olympics and, some say, it was a weak field at best.

Mexico is a whole different story altogether. After 1968, it didn't bid officially for another one. Well, it has a candidate for the 2018 YOG, but does that mean that Mexico City is the only Mexican city that has the capacity to host an Olympic Games, despite the altitude the city is on?

Well, two black eyes against Toronto's potential bid for 2024 is that:

1. Canada is the only Summer Olympics host nation that hasn't won a gold medal on home soil, and,

2. Some in the IOC still sees Montreal 1976 as a liability not to be repeated again, from the Olympic torch relay to the "reception of the English language" made by Queen Elizabeth II (at her opening of the Games as head of state) by certain Quebecers. Remember, ONLY French was used in those Games. English was a "no-no" back then, even though it is one of two official languages of the Olympic Movement. As far as I know, Montreal 1976 was the only Summer Olympics, where one of the official languages was not used, due to the atmosphere of the day then.

However, that does not mean the USA is in better shape than a possible Canadian bid for 2024. Anyone remember the bomb in 1996? That idiot of a guy pretty much sent a death knell in making the USA a good choice to host future Olympic Games. Look at Germany. After that terrorist attack at Munich 1972, Germany has not hosted an Olympic Games since. Of course, look at the way the IOC voted for the 2012 and 2016 Olympic Games host cities. American candidates did not fare well there. Russia seem to make an exception, after that huge boycott of 1980 with getting 2014. However, there were only 3 candidate cities for those Winter Olympics and, some say, it was a weak field at best.

Mexico is a whole different story altogether. After 1968, it didn't bid officially for another one. Well, it has a candidate for the 2018 YOG, but does that mean that Mexico City is the only Mexican city that has the capacity to host an Olympic Games, despite the altitude the city is on?

ehh... i though it was salt lake's mistake i don't know anything about the 1996 bomb... however 1980 were soviet union not russia so 2014 is different

Please, the 1996 centennial park bombing had virtually nothing to with the U.S.' losing bids for 2012 N 2016. One was a technically weak bid in the mix with all of Europe's glamour capitals, N the other was a loss due to bad relations with the USOC/IOC, N an emerging, exotic new locale that was carrying with them that all but infamous Olympic world map wherever they went.

N Germany hasn't hosted again since 1972, bcuz they've only bid 4 seperate times since then. N two of those bids were non-starters TBW. N the other two just fell to more appealing, exotic locales much like the 2016 U.S. bid did.

Please, the 1996 centennial park bombing had virtually nothing to with the U.S.' losing bids for 2012 N 2016. One was a technically weak bid in the mix with all of Europe's glamour capitals, N the other was a loss due to bad relations with the USOC/IOC, N an emerging, exotic new locale that was carrying with them that all but infamous Olympic world map wherever they went. N Germany hasn't hosted again since 1972, bcuz they've only bid 4 seperate times since then. N two of those bids were non-starters TBW. N the other two just fell to more appealing, exotic locales much like the 2016 U.S. bid did.
the bad relations was because salt lake.. isn't it??

Neither Canada's lack of gold medals, nor Montreal's overruns will handicap a Canadian bid.

They will be handicapped by Vancouver, frequent hosting for their small size, lack of Summer sporting prowess, not to mention their neighbor to the south who is a major economic and sporting nation looking for their next opportunity to host.

There is NO way the IOC will award 2 Games to the US within 6 years. Those days are long gone. If the US gets 2026, Canada could possibly get 2032, but not the US. The US would certainly have to wait until the 40s or 50s for SOGs if they host 2026.

If the US bids for SOGs until they land them (IMO no later than 2032) THEN they can turn around and bid for WOGs within a shorter window because the IOC has fewer winter options. The same does not hold true if you reverse the order and the US hosts WOGs first. Because SOGs are so much more competitive the wait would certainly be longer.

God, it's ridiculous now to be talking about the "40s and 50s" as a time in the future rather than the past. Absolutely agree though - I do think at the moment the US are right to concentrate on a summer bid and actually regardless of whether 2020 is in Europe or not I think they have a strong chance for 2024 and as you say will almost certainly get them by 2032 (at which time I suspect they'd play Los Angeles as their trump card!).

God, it's ridiculous now to be talking about the "40s and 50s" as a time in the future rather than the past.

Ain't that the truth. It wasn't so long ago I thought the same about the 20's and 30's. Only in an Olympic forum can someone think about the 30's in terms of the 21st century!

Neither Canada's lack of gold medals, nor Montreal's overruns will handicap a Canadian bid.

They will be handicapped by Vancouver, frequent hosting for their small size, lack of Summer sporting prowess, not to mention their neighbor to the south who is a major economic and sporting nation looking for their next opportunity to host.

The current stalemate between the IOC and Canadian TV over the rights for 2014-16 doesn't help either.

That sure didn't stop Mexico City from hosting the 1968 Summer Olympics, did it? Yep, the same city that the IOC criticized for having the Games "way up at altitude" and the massacre of students, just days before the opening ceremony.

Never mind that Mexico has, to date, only 55 Summer Olympic medals to its credit, while Canada is currently 260. In fact, Mexico is the lowest-ranked team, in terms of medals, to ever host the Olympic Games so far. Even Turkey (not a so-called summer sporting prowess either) has more medals than Mexico and it hasn't hosted an Olympic Games yet, unless it wins 2020.

So, I would definitely not rule out Canada because of that idea. However, my explanations still stand on the other matters.

I've said this before and I'll repeat it again.. success at an Olympics is not a major factor in a country's ability to host. Enthusiasm for sport, yes. And obviously that can come from winning medals. Canada hosted a Summer Olympics before, so it's not like the IOC is going to say to them they're not good enough at summer sports to host. What about Sarajevo 1984? It doesn't matter folks. Pretty much everything else mentioned comes into play. But can we stop pretending that medal count correlates in any way with a country's chances at landing an Olympics.

That sure didn't stop Mexico City from hosting the 1968 Summer Olympics, did it? Yep, the same city that the IOC criticized for having the Games "way up at altitude" and the massacre of students, just days before the opening ceremony.

Never mind that Mexico has, to date, only 55 Summer Olympic medals to its credit, while Canada is currently 260. In fact, Mexico is the lowest-ranked team, in terms of medals, to ever host the Olympic Games so far. Even Turkey (not a so-called summer sporting prowess either) has more medals than Mexico and it hasn't hosted an Olympic Games yet, unless it wins 2020.

So, I would definitely not rule out Canada because of that idea. However, my explanations still stand on the other matters.

Are you saying the way that the IOC votes hasn't changed five decades?

I listed multiple challenges that Canada faces. TOGETHER they could be a considerable obstacle for a bid -- though not necessarily an insurmountable one. You chose to take one item out of the context of that list -- medal count.

Sure medal count doesn't say much when you look at it in a vacuum (unless we're talking about Qatar). But look at the whole picture -- for a relatively small country that has hosted three Olympics in 34 years, including the most recent North American Games (actually the most recent Games period), a country that will have to compete with their much larger neighbor, the far bigger economic and sporting power that has been famously denied twice in recent memory, it sure would have helped Canada if they were really on the rise as a Summer sports power. They are not. Alone, that fact means little. Added to everything else, it's another straw for the camel to bear.

I'm not saying Canada has no chance. I'm saying that in my opinion it will be an uphill battle. If Canada, the US, Paris and South Africa all bid for 2024, Canada until most certainly the first bid eliminated. If nothing else, politics would demand it. Of the four, it's the easiest elimination to explain.

Read "Canada will almost certainly be the first bid eliminated." sorry. Auto-correct.

I disagree to something you said. If Toronto does bid and an American city does (doesn't matter which one), I'd expect the Yanks to be eliminated first yet again.

Canada might be 2nd, but certainly not first eliminated.

Canada is actually rather lucky in that it is in a part of the world where although there are a very large number of capable potential host cities there aren't many countries capable of hosting the Games, especially when it comes to the Winter Olympics.

So in that sense it will always be able to punch above its Olympic weight, so to speak.

I disagree to something you said. If Toronto does bid and an American city does (doesn't matter which one), I'd expect the Yanks to be eliminated first yet again.

Why do you assume a U.S. city would be the first to be eliminated? Just because it happened 3 years ago when USOC-IOC relations were pretty strained? It'll be 8 years later that the 2024 vote occurs. That's a lot of time for the USOC to get their house in order. Now if you're telling me eliminated the American city first is a tactic to help Paris or Durban or another bid, that I'll buy. But, depending of course on who the USOC offers up, I don't see Toronto lasting too much longer than them.

Absolutely no possible way.

I disagree like the others but for different reasons, i still think that Salt lake scandal is in peoples minds, whenever i mention my fascination without olympic bids and olympic scandals people think munich massacre and salt lake city bid scandal. Obviously it had a factor in the abysmal bids for 2012 and 2016. I mean it wasn't the sole reason, up against Rio was hard but they scored pretty low both times. 2024 will be a while since a US summer games. Up against a bid from Africa may be hard but we don't know if they'll bid i'm sure US will.

I think it's good they won't go for a 2022 bid, would've been wasteful, the span between the games is useful for a bid but if they wasted it on a winter bid it'd push them off til the 30's.

Also go look up 2016 olympic bid someone edited it

You can't say how an American bid will do in 2024, since it won't be a generic American bid. It will be a specific bid for a specific city.

Will it be a great bid in a great city? A decent bid in a 2nd tier city?

The USOC has learned enough to not offer up a bid that is too modest. I can't imagine them going any lower than Dallas or Philadelphia -- both of which I think would finish ahead of a Canadian bid for political reasons.

I'm certainly not going to say that any bid is guaranteed a win and I think it's much more difficult to project how the US will fare against Paris and South Africa.

The only thing I'm saying is that, in my opinion, the US will almost certainly get more votes than Canada if they bid for 2024.

Archived