47% public support..Tokyo's achilles heel?

I'm sure you'll express your disappointment too. Tokyo hasn't even won yet, yet you're generating heaps of bandwidth in dismay at the idea. Not to mention the Madrilenos who'll be flooding on site to express their disgust at the IOC's flagrant bias and lack of knowledge.

If Madrid wins, I won't be gutted, but i won't be super excited. I'll basically tell myself at least it's a new city to add to the roster of Olympic hosts and it will shut the Spaniards up for a decade or two, but not much beyond that.

Well, feel free to ignore the "heaps of bandwidth". Jeez.

If Tokyo wins, I have no comment. My attitude will be "meh."

The only real potential I see for conversation in the event of a Tokyo victory will be the numerical vote breakdown from the rounds.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rubbish, of course they can win. This is their achilles heel, but is it more of a problem than Madrid's finances, Barcelona 1992, Istanbul's spread out plan, Euro 2020 or the Tukish city's transport?

Recent poll shows public support for Tokyo’s bid to host the 2020 Olympics on the rise TOKYO — Public support for Tokyo’s bid to host the 2020 Olympics is on the rise according to a recent survey con

Brilliant news on the face of it, plugging one of the few holes the bid has. But we've seen disparities between Tokyo's own polls and the IOC's polling the past. Will be interesting to see whether the

Well, feel free to ignore the "heaps of bandwidth". Jeez.

If Tokyo wins, I have no comment. My attitude will be "meh."

I don't mind the bandwidth - at least the board's heating up in anticipation of next week's festivities. Better a good debate than nothing at all. ;)

I guess we're even on the "meh" value of our respective unfavoured candidates.

I don't mind the bandwidth - at least the board's heating up in anticipation of next week's festivities. Better a good debate than nothing at all. ;)

I guess we're even on the "meh" value of our respective unfavoured candidates.

Would you agree that if Madrid pulls out the victory it will at the very least be interesting to see how it happened? Wouldn't you admit that there's something semi-conversation-worthy about the triumph of a bid we all considered DOA from the start of the race? Certainly more than the default win of the the favored "safe" candidate...

Come September 8, whoever wins, we'll be picking apart the round by round numbers and observing both tantrums and triumphalism.

I'm counting on it to distract me from whatever the result of our Federal Election is.

Come September 8, whoever wins, we'll be picking apart the round by round numbers and observing both tantrums and triumphalism.

I'm counting on it to distract me from whatever the result of our Federal Election is.

I'm dreading a possible Abbott/Madrid outcome. Worst. Outcome. Ever.

Even though I'd be sad about Istanbul losing, I don't think I'd be that upset at a Tokyo win - I'll be happy for them.

Go Istanbul!

I'd say that right now Istanbul would be the upset win. With most here citing that they've blown their best chances ever with the protests. If they pull a London-style final presentation, I wonder if they could still pull it off, if it's as close as many of us are saying it is now..

The turn-around in public support for Tokyo has been remarkable. That's a bloody good job by their bid team.

They're doing a more than solid job right now. An upsurge in public support to this extent is almost unheard of, and to be honest this is where the language barrier is really annoying. I'd love to know what Tokyo 2020 have done domestically to get people on board.

Edited by RobH

How much do things change at the Session? Could one single mind-blowing moment, like "the map" from Rio, turn the whole race round on the 7th itself?

With only 3 candidates, I think most of the voters know which way they would lean. So indeed it's up to the presentations to clinch the undecideds, and would probably help set up their 2nd round votes. That's where the "shift" may occur. Plus, with things in Syria heating up...that may NOT be good for Istanbul's chances i.e., a forever troubled region.

I think the Japanese have learned enough to avoid repeating Nagano's OC (which I didn't care for either). They saw Beijing. They won't go bland and serious. They won't go kitschy.

As for "deserving" the Games, I wouldn't use the Nagano OC as my criteria. Japan is an economic and sporting power that consistently finishes among top medal winning nations. By 2020, they won't have hosted the Summer Olympics for over 50 years. They're the most reliable of the three candidate cities and Tokyo is one of the world's three greatest metropolises. All that is compelling.

Wouldn't be so sure about that as they want to center it around the athlete.

There are some posts in this topic that are simply disgusting. Speaking so bad about Spanish people has nothing to do with Madrid bid itself. I certainly feel sad for the level of arrogance and bad education. Spain is just a country that simply wants to host in a moment where there's no any other European country that have requested to. Why is it wrong? I will never understand.

Nevermind. No suprise.

On the other hand, as days go on, I feel that Tokyo is smartly managing the final countdown. They have scrutinized the Madrid momentum and kept the silence in order to release the big boom at the Session, where things are really being decided. In this moment, I find that Madrid is not working well insisting in the cheap argument. Look at this link (in Spanish)

http://ccaa.elpais.com/ccaa/2013/08/29/madrid/1377774488_797038.html

Keep telling that the games will be great for Spain and Madrid and then for the olympic movement is a very heavy mistake from Mrs. Botella. Now it's time to profit the momentum and spread the Madrid spirit instead of being so fakely humble.

If Tokyo wins next week it will be because they've made the best job and maybe because they have the best NOC. Spain's one is really a joke.

You mean they'll chuck the athletes into the stadium (not literally baron, don't get excited) THEN start the artistic bits, like they do at the WOGs?

Tokyo has said they will bring in the athletes and provide seating for them so they can enjoy the show. Bernam seems to believe that this means the OC is likely to be slow and bland. Don't ask me why.