47% public support..Tokyo's achilles heel?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rubbish, of course they can win. This is their achilles heel, but is it more of a problem than Madrid's finances, Barcelona 1992, Istanbul's spread out plan, Euro 2020 or the Tukish city's transport?

Recent poll shows public support for Tokyo’s bid to host the 2020 Olympics on the rise TOKYO — Public support for Tokyo’s bid to host the 2020 Olympics is on the rise according to a recent survey con

Brilliant news on the face of it, plugging one of the few holes the bid has. But we've seen disparities between Tokyo's own polls and the IOC's polling the past. Will be interesting to see whether the

Indeed, considering these numbers seem to be reflected in multiple surveys, it's got to be looking good. London and the Japanese team certainly did the world of good for the Tokyo campaign.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

That's the news they've been waiting for. They can conduct as many of their own surveys as they like but the IOC's one is the one that counts. And that's an enormous jump; well done Tokyo!

• 5 months later...

New Poll Reveals Record 92% Support for Nation's Dream

8/27/2013
The week before the Host City election for the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games, a new poll has revealed an overwhelming 92% public support in Japan for hosting the Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The latest government survey underlined the nation’s passion for a Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games, which was conducted by the Japan Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT).

IOC Member and President of Tokyo 2020 and the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC), Tsunekazu Takeda, said: “The vast public support in Tokyo and across Japan for hosting the Olympic and Paralympic Games illustrates the positive momentum that is continuing to build for our bid.

“The latest survey result underlines the nation’s passion for sport and excitement about both our plans to host a superb Games and global vision to benefit sport.”

For further inquiries:
Tokyo 2020 Press Office

It's not like the other two are any better. Well, at least one of the others.

I don't know about that.

Istanbul is a fascinating place and a buzzing tourist destination that would add some exotic flair to the Games.

I'm even intrigued by the idea of Madrid's austerity Games. I'd like to see them pull it off. I think they could.

What is there to interest me in a Tokyo bid? Seriously.

I don't know about that.

Istanbul is a fascinating place and a buzzing tourist destination that would add some exotic flair to the Games.

I agree about Istanbul. And that's why I went on to say "well, at least one of the others".

Since Istanbul seems to be having trouble with their campaign, not to mention how much damage could the protest have done to their chances, that's why I'm inclined to get behind Tokyo more than the other remaining candidate, who's campaign narrative I find to be disingenuous moreso than anything else.

I'm even intrigued by the idea of Madrid's austerity Games. I'd like to see them pull it off. I think they could.

And what do you find "intriguing" about an 'austerity Games'. What's exactly exciting about that, especially when Rome wouldn't have excited you if they had remained in the race. Yeah, they could pull it off, but not at the meager $1.9 Billion budget that they're talking about. That would increase without a doubt, as Olympic budgets usually do. So how would that look like in a country that's gone through, & could go through some more, austerity cuts but the Olympic costs are rising. Sorry, but I don't see what so appealing about that. It's like a model trying to go down the catwalk with the flu. Doesn't look that enticing.

Tokyo is an exciting, global metropolis. The capital of the world's 3rd largest economy. I tend to look at as Asia's London. And I think that the Japanese have the potential to deliver great Games just like the British did. Not to mention that the Japanese are/were the initial innovators of the tech world. I find the Japanese as an interesting culture. It's different, it's intriguing. Some define them as "boring". But I think those are just the people that don't wanna open up to different cultures.

It's a bit like Beijing 2008, people either absolutely loved it or just hated it. There's was no middle ground to speak of. And I think that's what we're seeing here with Tokyo 2020. And we could also say that it was the same with PyeongChang 2018. People were either on-board or they weren't. And I think that it's interesting that we mainly see that kind of divide with mostly the Asian candidates, at least here on these boards, anyway.

To me, the “austerity” games pitch might be a worthy and responsible one to make, but “intriguing”? I just don't see it as that. I think it started off as trying to make a virtue out of a necessity, and only lately, with the Brazilian protests and headlines over Sochi's costs, has it become something that just might resonate with the IOC if it wants to send a message that the games need not be extravagant and out of reach of so many otherwise potential bidders. It's the main reason I'm not writing Madrid's chances off any more. But enticing? No, it's not a marketing message I'd get excited about.

And anyway, I think the danger is that Madrid could wreck that entire message by setting their estimates too low in their bid docs. If they'd been a bit more realistic and responsible with their budget figures, and then make a real effort to stick to it, I'd say all power to them. But as it is, with their ridiculously and artificially deflated figures, they almost guarantee inevitable headlines along the lines of: “Austerity games budget blows out” when they have to face reality. Not to mention the fact that I'd have grave doubts they'll manage to rein-in their aspirations for the games if they win it. For a bid that seems to be so motivated by evening the score with their Catalonian rivals, I just can't see them content with being modest and resisting the urge to out-do previous hosts. It's just an natural inclination of any host to want to make the most splash during their time in the spotlight.

As to Tokyo versus Madrid. Well, it all comes down to personal tastes doesn't it (like certain OCs)? From personal experience, to me Tokyo is a vibrant, electric metropolis, confident and buzzing in its culture and quirks, blending strong cultural traditions with an ultra-modern futuristic vibe. Madrid, on the other hand, in my is nice enough, but more of a generic European capital with no real 'wow” factor to set it apart. Barcelona to me had and has the “X” factor. Madrid, to me, is no more or less appealing than, say, a Lyon compared to Paris.

• Like 1

Rols-

As a fellow Aussie you must admit - Madrid is almost like the Tony Abbott of the 2020 candidates--- promising unrealistic fiscal responsibility to get elected, then dealing with the fallout once you are there. You may be a liar - but at least you won, right?

Rols-

As a fellow Aussie you must admit - Madrid is almost like the Tony Abbott of the 2020 candidates--- promising unrealistic fiscal responsibility to get elected, then dealing with the fallout once you are there. You may be a liar - but at least you won, right?

Oi vey! Just wait for the fireworks here on the morning of September 8.

Yes, but it won't be anything new.

I'm sure you'll express your disappointment too. Tokyo hasn't even won yet, yet you're generating heaps of bandwidth in dismay at the idea. Not to mention the Madrilenos who'll be flooding on site to express their disgust at the IOC's flagrant bias and lack of knowledge.

If Madrid wins, I won't be gutted, but i won't be super excited. I'll basically tell myself at least it's a new city to add to the roster of Olympic hosts and it will shut the Spaniards up for a decade or two, but not much beyond that.

Edited by Sir Rols

If Madrid wins, I won't be gutted, but i won't be super excited. I'll basically tell myself at least it's a new city to add to the roster of Olympic hosts and it will shut the Spaniards up for a decade or two, but not much beyond that.

Yep - if Madrid wins 2020 we'll still see expectant howls from Seville and Valencea - as they make their claims for 2032. (no, really. history shows that they will bid for 2032, even with Madrid 2020).

Yep - if Madrid wins 2020 we'll still see expectant howls from Seville and Valencea - as they make their claims for 2032. (no, really. history shows that they will bid for 2032, even with Madrid 2020).

Oh yes, Sevilla. Can't have those Catalonians and Castillians stealing the thunder from Andalusia.

Edited by Sir Rols

And I'm sure the couple of sore winner Spaniards on here that'll come out & say "told you so, 'haters' "! :rolleyes:

Oh no. If no-one else, Paul will ensure lots of sturm and drang if Tokyo wins.

Yeah, Iol. I think that we should have a live-feed of him when Jacques Rogge opens the envelope & says - Tokyo! He'll be the one having the 'heart attack' or a stroke! :lol:

I'm sure you'll express your disappointment too. Tokyo hasn't even won yet, yet you're generating heaps of bandwidth in dismay at the idea.

lmfao

Oh yes, Sevilla. Can't have those Catalonians and Castillians stealing the thunder from Andalusia.

It may never end with them then! Then those Portuguese may want in, too. Time to stop the Iberian madness while we can then! :blink: