2013 Confederations Cup

gotosy

Kaka, Ronaldinho both out of Confederations Cup squad

(Reuters) - Ronaldinho and Kaka were both left out of the Brazil's squad for the Confederations Cup, named by coach Luiz Felipe Scolari on Tuesday.

Scolari had been expected to include at least one of the experienced pair in his squad for the competition which Brazil hosts in June.

Chelsea midfielder Ramires was another surprise exclusion. Brazil have played five matches under Scolari, with one win, three draws and one defeat.

"We could lose out in terms of experience but we will make up for that with the enthusiasm which the young players bring," Scolari told a news conference.

Reuters

Goalkeepers Diego Cavalieri (Fluminense) Jefferson (Botafogo) Julio Cesar (QPR) Defenders Dani Alves (Barcelona) Filipe Luis (Vasco da Gama) Marcelo (Real Madrid) Jean (Fluminense) David Luiz (Chelsea) Dante (Bayern Munich) Rever (Atletico Mineiro) Thiago Silva (Paris Saint-Germain) Midfielders Fernando (Gremio) Jadson (Sao Paulo) Hernanes (Lazio) Luiz Gustavo (Bayern Munich) Oscar (Chelsea) Paulinho Corinthans) Bernard (Atletico Mineiro) Attackers Fred (Fluminense) Hulk (Zenit St Petersburg) Lucas Moura (Paris Saint-Germain) Neymar (Santos) Leandro Damiao (Internacional)

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really hoping Ronaldinho keeps playing well and he can possibly be selected for the World Cup. The team needs him, the entire Brazilian population wants him! Felipao haven't had enough time to try out many players and gather and create the best team, Confederations will be training I suppose (?)

Prandelli names initial Confed Cup squad

Italian National Team boss Cesare Prandelli has named his initial 31-man squad for the Confederations Cup.

The Azzurri travel to Brazil in June for the pre-World Cup tournament, playing Mexico, Japan and the hosts in Group A.

But before that, they have to face San Marino in a friendly on May 31 and Czech Republic in a qualifier on June 7.

Cagliari duo Michael Agazzi and Marco Sau have been called up for the first time, as has Atalanta playmaker Giacomo Bonaventura.

Champions Juventus have eight players represented with Gianluigi Buffon, Andrea Barzagli, Leonardo Bonucci, Giorgio Chiellini, Emanuele Giaccherini, Claudio Marchisio, Andrea Pirlo and Sebastian Giovinco all named.

Full squad: Goalkeepers: Agazzi (Cagliari), Buffon (Juventus), Marchetti (Lazio), Sirigu (Paris St. Germain);

Defenders: Abate (Milan), Antonelli (Genoa), Astori (Cagliari), Barzagli (Juventus), Bonucci (Juventus), Chiellini (Juventus), De Sciglio (Milan), Maggio (Napoli), Ogbonna (Torino), Ranocchia (Inter);

Midfielders: Aquilani (Fiorentina), Bonaventura (Atalanta), Candreva (Lazio), Cerci (Torino), De Rossi (Roma), Diamanti (Bologna), Giaccherini (Juventus), Marchisio (Juventus), Montolivo (Milan), Pirlo (Juventus), Poli (Sampdoria);

Attackers: Balotelli (Milan), El Shaarawy (Milan), Gilardino (Bologna), Giovinco (Juventus), Osvaldo (Roma), Sau (Cagliari).

The 23-man squad for the Confederations Cup will be named on June 3.

Italian National Team boss Cesare Prandelli has named his initial 31-man squad for the Confederations Cup.

The Azzurri travel to Brazil in June for the pre-World Cup tournament, playing Mexico, Japan and the hosts in Group A.

But before that, they have to face San Marino in a friendly on May 31 and Czech Republic in a qualifier on June 7.

Cagliari duo Michael Agazzi and Marco Sau have been called up for the first time, as has Atalanta playmaker Giacomo Bonaventura.

Champions Juventus have eight players represented with Gianluigi Buffon, Andrea Barzagli, Leonardo Bonucci, Giorgio Chiellini, Emanuele Giaccherini, Claudio Marchisio, Andrea Pirlo and Sebastian Giovinco all named.

Full squad: Goalkeepers: Agazzi (Cagliari), Buffon (Juventus), Marchetti (Lazio), Sirigu (Paris St. Germain);

Defenders: Abate (Milan), Antonelli (Genoa), Astori (Cagliari), Barzagli (Juventus), Bonucci (Juventus), Chiellini (Juventus), De Sciglio (Milan), Maggio (Napoli), Ogbonna (Torino), Ranocchia (Inter);

Midfielders: Aquilani (Fiorentina), Bonaventura (Atalanta), Candreva (Lazio), Cerci (Torino), De Rossi (Roma), Diamanti (Bologna), Giaccherini (Juventus), Marchisio (Juventus), Montolivo (Milan), Pirlo (Juventus), Poli (Sampdoria);

Attackers: Balotelli (Milan), El Shaarawy (Milan), Gilardino (Bologna), Giovinco (Juventus), Osvaldo (Roma), Sau (Cagliari).

The 23-man squad for the Confederations Cup will be named on June 3.

http://www.football-italia.net/34269/prandelli-names-initial-confed-cup-squad

This tournament is a training, but Brazil has better chances to win it than to win the World Cup.

I know that the current Brazilian squad is not the best of all times - but Germany showed in 2006 how much the home advantage and the special atmosphere at such a tournament can change. Also Team South Korea was far more successful and their home tournament in 2002 than it could ever have been expected beforehand - okay, also with the help of surprisingly weak "big teams" and of the referees, but... ;)

However weak their current performances might be - Brazil has always to be taken seriously, especially on home soil.

Correction: "at their home tournament in 2002"

Yes, but not really... Being the home team is a huge advantage, but is not enough. Korea in 2022 was a miracle, bit Germany is a team with personality and in 2006 they were close but it wasn't enough, if only they had the team they have now, Germany = Champions, South Africa was a mess. Brazil will end up in the final 4, but nit as Champions.

Sorry buddy but this is kinda mean to say ^^

Really, how is that? English is not my first language but I can't see a problem with what I said.

If I had intention to offend anyone I'd have used a derogative word instead of the proper world, "homosexual". I think 'gay' is ok, right? Yes... But I thought twice and changed to homosexual to avoid any confusion.

and I have plenty of gay friends and to make sure, I just asked one if he liked that shirt and he said yes. From my limited (as limited it can be) knowledge about gays, I thought gays would like such a shirt. Really, what's wrong about that?

I was going to say 'sorry if I offended anyone' but really I can't see how it'd be mean. Unless you think that somewhat pointing out the typical gay fashion choices is derogative. I didn't say: "a homossexual would like this because they don't know right..." I just think they would like it!

Anyways, thanks for the advice, next time I wont explicit my thoughts.

I wrote a blogpost about this jersey. The inspiration comes from the jersey they used in 1924 (olympics) and 1930 (WC). I think this is an awesome jersey, love the design and the color. I would buy it. And if that makes me a girl or a homosexual, than so be it..

http://www.worldcupofjoe.com/1/post/2013/05/retro-jersey-for-uruguay-for-the-confederations-cup.html

Oh come on WCJ! I didn't say only gays would like the t-shirt. I just said that gays would probably like it.

This tournament is a training, but Brazil has better chances to win it than to win the World Cup.

Really? Are you sure about that? Don't you wanna think it twice? Please do it.

I mean, are you captain obvious?

Every team that are on both competions have a better chance to win the CC than the WC simply because there are only 1/4 of the WC national teams there.

Mexico names 23-man roster for Confederations Cup

Mexico national team head coach Jose Manuel "Chepo" de la Torre named a 23-man roster for his team's upcoming World Cup qualifiers, the Confederations Cup and an earlier friendly against Nigeria.

Once again, Carlos Vela is the most notable omission, as the Real Sociedad star continues his exile from El Tri.

The roster is made up of 17 domestic-based players, with six European-based players comprising the rest of the team.

El Tri will face Nigeria in a friendly on May 31 in Houston. The team will then play three consecutive Hexagonal matches: June 4 at Jamaica, June 7 at Panama and June 11 vs. Costa Rica. El Tri is looking for its first win of the Hex, after drawing its first three matches.

Following the qualifiers, the team heads to Brazil for the Confederations Cup, where it faces Italy on June 16, Brazil on June 19 and Japan on June 22 to close out the group stage.

Full Roster

Goalkeepers: Guillermo Ochoa (Ajaccio), Jesús Corona (Cruz Azul), Alfredo Talavera (Toluca)

Defenders: Severo Meza (Monterrey), Francisco Javier "Maza" Rodríguez (América), Héctor Moreno (Espanyol), Diego Reyes (América), Jorge Torres Nilo (Tigres UANL), Carlos Salcido (Tigres UANL), Hiram Mier (Monterrey)

Midfielders: Jesús Zavala (Monterrey), Gerardo Torrado (Cruz Azul), Jesús Molina (América), Héctor Herrera (Pachuca), Javier Aquino (Villarreal), Andrés Guardado (Valencia), Ángel Reyna (Pachuca), Pablo Barrera (Cruz Azul)

Forwards: Giovani dos Santos (Mallorca), Oribe Peralta (Santos Laguna), Javier Hernández (Manchester United), Raúl Jiménez (América), Aldo de Nigris (Monterrey)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mexico-names-23-man-roster-032400400--sow.html

Really, how is that? English is not my first language but I can't see a problem with what I said.

If I had intention to offend anyone I'd have used a derogative word instead of the proper world, "homosexual". I think 'gay' is ok, right? Yes... But I thought twice and changed to homosexual to avoid any confusion.

and I have plenty of gay friends and to make sure, I just asked one if he liked that shirt and he said yes. From my limited (as limited it can be) knowledge about gays, I thought gays would like such a shirt. Really, what's wrong about that?

I was going to say 'sorry if I offended anyone' but really I can't see how it'd be mean. Unless you think that somewhat pointing out the typical gay fashion choices is derogative. I didn't say: "a homossexual would like this because they don't know right..." I just think they would like it!

Anyways, thanks for the advice, next time I wont explicit my thoughts.

OK, then I believe that you didn't mean it in a derogative way. But your post shows nevertheless that you probably know little about homosexual people indeed. Because there's no such thing as "typical gay fashion choices". Gay people are not only those you see in those shrill Christopher Street Day parades, but gay people are also those who share the workplace with you in the same kind of clothes many heterosexual men of today wear, i.e. nothing flamboyant and/or girlish. There are also plenty of gay people who would appear totally heterosexual to you, also besides their fashion taste.

And that also means that not all gay people like jerseys that appear girlish in your view.

Besides, I don't think that that's a girlish jersey. As WorldCupJoe already pointed out, those jerseys with laces at the collar were very much in fashion in football in the 1930s. So it's a tribute to that age if Uruguay chooses that jersey design.

Torres and Casillas in Spain squad

Goalkeeper Iker Casillas and striker Fernando Torres returned to the Spain squad as coach Vicente del Bosque named a provisional 26-man group on Monday for next month's Confederations Cup in Brazil.

The list will be cut back to 23 after the final round of La Liga matches next weekend.

For the Confederations Cup, Spain have been drawn in Group B with Uruguay, Tahiti and Nigeria and they open the tournament in Recife on June 16 against the 2011 Copa America winners.

The eight-nation warm up event for next year's World Cup runs from June 15 to 30.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Victor Valdes (Barcelona), Pepe Reina (Liverpool)

Defenders: Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Jordi Alba (Barcelona), Ignacio Monreal (Arsenal), Raul Albiol (Real Madrid), Javi Garcia (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Javi Martinez (Bayern Munich), Xavi (Barcelona), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Santi Cazorla (Arsenal), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Benat Etxebarria (Real Betis)

Forwards: Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), David Villa (Barcelona), David Silva (Manchester City), Roberto Soldado (Valencia), Pedro (Barcelona), Juan Mata (Chelsea), Jesus Navas (Sevilla), Fernando Torres (Chelsea).

http://au.eurosport.com/football/confederations-cup-1/2013/torres-and-casillas-in-spain-squad-for-confederations-cup_sto3774995/story.shtml

Besides, I don't think that that's a girlish jersey. As WorldCupJoe already pointed out, those jerseys with laces at the collar were very much in fashion in football in the 1930s. So it's a tribute to that age if Uruguay chooses that jersey design.

Congrats for your answer and patience, Olympian2004. Thats the kind of behaviour people, sadly, still have to face in a machist country like Brazil. Its pure ignorance. Its easy to play the I dont know English well card to excuse such thing...

A part of the membrane was not closed properly causing accumulation of rain water. This caused a disruption of the membrane. This problem is being fixed and doesn't compromise the preparations for the Confederations Cup. A similar problem occurred during the Confederations Cup Germany 2005 in Frankfurt stadium.

And not to forget: Also BC Place's old inflatable roof tore, three years before the 2010 Winter Games.

The tear in Frankfurt's stadium roof even occurred during the 2005 Confed Cup final, so the damage was in full view of the international media and TV audience. But the damage was no big deal - they fixed it and staged flawless World Cup matches in that stadium one year later (OK, also due to the fact that the 2006 World Cup saw almost no rain and mostly sun and hot temperatures ;)).

Yes. Northeast Brazil's rainy season usually lasts from abril to mid-august. Flooding is very common. Winter is usually colder but drier in Center/South Brazil (Rio, SP, Brasilia, Belo Horizonte).

Xabi Alonso out of Spain's Confederations Cup squad

MADRID, June 2 (Reuters) - Real Madrid midfielder Xabi Alonso was left out of Spain's squad for the Confederations Cup in Brazil this month when Vicente del Bosque cut his list to 23 on Sunday.

The 31-year-old has been an integral part of the Spain team who won Euros 2008 and 2012, and the World Cup in 2010, but he has been struggling with a groin problem for the last few weeks of the La Liga season.

The other two players to drop out of the provisional list from last Monday were Manchester City's versatile midfielder Javi Garcia and Real Betis midfielder Benat Etxebarria, the country's federation said in a statement.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Victor Valdes (Barcelona), Pepe Reina (Liverpool)

Defenders: Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Jordi Alba (Barcelona), Ignacio Monreal (Arsenal), Raul Albiol (Real Madrid)

Midfielders: Javi Martinez (Bayern Munich), Xavi (Barcelona), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Sergio Busquets(Barcelona), Santi Cazorla (Arsenal)

Forwards: Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), David Villa (Barcelona), David Silva (Manchester City), Roberto Soldado (Valencia), Pedro (Barcelona), Juan Mata (Chelsea), Jesus Navas (Sevilla), Fernando Torres (Chelsea).

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/soccer-xabi-alonso-spains-confederations-cup-squad-194053469.html

Tabarez names strong Uruguay squad

Liverpool duo Luis Suarez and Sebastian Coates have been included in Uruguay's 23-man squad for the FIFA Confederations Cup Brazil 2013.

Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez cut two players from his preliminary list, Olimpia midfielder Alejandro Silva and Carlos Penarol defender Adrian Valdes, before Wednesday's friendly against France.

The Copa America champions make their FIFA Confederations Cup debut on 16 June against world and European champions Spain in Recife.

Four days later, they take on Nigeria in Salvador, before finishing their Group B campaign on the 23rd against Tahiti, again in Recife.

Uruguay squad

Goalkeepers: Fernando Muslera (Galatasaray/Turkey), Martin Silva (Olimpia/Paraguay), Juan Castillo (Danubio)

Defenders: Andres Scotti (Nacional), Maximiliano Pereira (Benfica/Portugal), Diego Lugano (Malaga/Spain), Diego Godin (Atletico Madrid/Spain), Sebastian Coates (Liverpool/England), Martin Caceres (Juventus/Italy), Matias Aguirregaray (Penarol)

Midfielders: Alvaro Gonzalez (Lazio/Italy), Alvaro Pereira, Walter Gargano (both Inter Milan/Italy), Egidio Arevalo-Rios (Palermo/Italy), Diego Perez (Bologna/Italy), Cristian Rodriguez (Atletico Madrid/Spain), Gaston Ramirez (Southampton/England), Nicolas Lodeiro (Botafogo/Brazil), Sebastian Eguren (Libertad/Paraguay)

Forwards: Luis Suarez (Liverpool/England), Edinson Cavani (Napoli/Italy), Diego Forlan (Internacional/Brazil), Abel Hernandez (Palermo/Italy).

The official squad lists for the FIFA Confederations Cup will be announced by FIFA on Friday 7 June.

http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/news/newsid=2102804/

Japan names 23-man squad for Confederations Cup

TOKYO - A Japan squad without any surprises was chosen for the Confederations Cup on Wednesday, a day after the team secured a fifth straight World Cup appearance.

Keisuke Honda, whose goal in stoppage time allowed Japan to draw 1-1 with Australia and qualify for the World Cup on Tuesday, and Manchester United midfielder Shinji Kagawa were among the 23 named by coach Alberto Zaccheroni.

Japan is the first team to qualify for the World Cup as Group B winner in Asia.

Goalkeepers: Eiji Kawashima (Standard Liege), Shusaku Nishikawa (Sanfrecce Hiroshima), Shuichi Gonda (FC Tokyo).

Defenders: Yasuyuki Konno (Gamba Osaka), Yuzo Kurihara (Yokohama F Marinos), Masahiko Inoha (Jubilo Iwata), Yuto Nagatomo (Inter Milan), Atsuto Uchida (Schalke), Maya Yoshida (Southampton), Hiroki Sakai (Hannover), Gotoku Sakai (Stuttgart).

Midfielders: Yasuhito Endo (Gamba), Kengo Nakamura (Kawasaki Frontale), Makoto Hasebe (Wolfsburg), Hajime Hosogai (Hertha Berlin), Keisuke Honda (CSKA Moscow), Hideto Takahashi (FC Tokyo).

Forwards: Ryoichi Maeda (Jubilo), Shinji Okazaki (Stuttgart), Mike Havenaar (Vitesse Arnhem), Takashi Inui (Eintracht Frankfurt), Shinji Kagawa (Manchester United), Hiroshi Kiyotake (Nuremburg).

http://www.japantoday.com/category/sports/view/japan-names-23-man-squad-for-confederations-cup?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=news_on_twitter

Archived