2013 Confederations Cup

gotosy

Hopefully, I expect Brazil to keep the crown of the biggest winner of Confederations Cup and Wold Cup ;-)

With Scolari anything can happen ;)

I usually support Germany in mayor tournaments (Guatemala always fails to qualify) -.- but in the Confed Cup I'll be cheering Brazil :D and Uruguay too (I have a friend that moved there)

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FIFA left red-faced after chaotic Confederations Cup draw

The draw should have been simple as hosts Brazil and world champions Spain were automatically placed at the head of the two Groups, A and B, with the six other contestants placed in the remaining slots.

The only proviso was that Italy were kept apart from Spain, to separate the two European countries, and Uruguay kept apart from Brazil, to separate the two South American ones.

Italy were to be in Group A with Brazil, while Uruguay were going to be placed in Group B with Spain.

However when Uruguay's name was drawn, Alex Atala, Brazil's top chef who was helping FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke make the draw, put his hand in the Group A bowl and drew out position A3.

Valcke placed Uruguay in B3, but Tahiti were later paired in the same position.

"That doesn't go at all, Tahiti must be in B3," said Valcke when he realised the mistake.

Tahiti were then placed in position B3 and Uruguay moved to place B2, meaning they would face Spain in their opening match.

"It was a bit of a chaotic draw, sorry for that," Valcke told a packed auditorium which included Brazil president Dilma Rousseff and FIFA president Sepp Blatter.

"It's sad these things happen in life, this is my first time," he said afterwards.

Reuters

http://news.yahoo.com/fifa-left-red-faced-chaotic-confederations-cup-draw-084935204--sow.html

With Scolari anything can happen ;)

I usually support Germany in mayor tournaments (Guatemala always fails to qualify) -.- but in the Confed Cup I'll be cheering Brazil :D and Uruguay too (I have a friend that moved there)

I only wait to not see some Brazil v Uruguay in a final match in Maracana again...

Gosh, this would be tense.

• 4 weeks later...

I only wait to not see some Brazil v Uruguay in a final match in Maracana again...

Gosh, this would be tense.

That would very intresting and I bet anything can happen in that duel...

The winner of this tournament isn't usually very successfull in the main event a year later. I expect Spain to win CC and then fail in 2014.

That's true, actually France in 2003, Brazil 2005, Brazil 2009 all failed to make decent performances in the World Cup (as for France I can take 2002 WC result)

That would very intresting and I bet anything can happen in that duel...

Well, if we take the records of the last matches, I wouldn't be worried, Uruguay is not playing well lately. But, all the "tension" would be playing in a Brazil v Uruguay final match in Maracana.

Uruguayans would know how to turn the "mystic" of the 1950 final match as an psychic advantage.

Well Uruguay isn't playing as good as in 2010, and I can see Brazil in a better shape... The only thing is I do agree with you that Uruguay can have that phsycological advantage....

That's the reason why I think Uruguay may be more difficult than Spain or Italy, though Spain-Brazil might be awesome ;)

That's true, actually France in 2003, Brazil 2005, Brazil 2009 all failed to make decent performances in the World Cup (as for France I can take 2002 WC result)

Hmm, why don't you just consider the CC of 2001 in Japan and Korea that France also won?

• 2 weeks later...

Ticket applications during first sales reach 399,525

The first public ticket sales phase for the FIFA Confederations Cup came to a close today (Tuesday, 15 January 2013) with the fantastic number of 399,525 ticket requests received from 78 different countries.

Due to the great demand for the Festival of Champions, a draw will take place for the oversubscribed matches and/or categories to ensure all fans stand an equal chance of receiving their preferred choices. The applications will now be reviewed and draws will be conducted match by match as well as category by category, as required. This administrative process will take at least a couple of days to complete. Therefore, successful, unsuccessful and/or partially successful ticket applicants will be notified any time from 16 January until 14 February 2013 at the latest.

In this context, it is important to note that the applicants must have enough funds on their selected payment method to cover the price of the tickets they get assigned in the draw as the money will be deducted immediately once the tickets have been successfully allocated. If this payment process fails, the ticket order will be cancelled as per the terms and conditions and the tickets will be re-allocated to other applicants.

The city with most tickets requested was Salvador with 93,567, followed by Rio de Janeiro (88,420), Brasilia (68,912), Fortaleza (68,352), Recife (51,518) and Belo Horizonte (28,756). The most popular match so far during this application window has been the opening match Brazil versus Japan with 68,912 tickets being requested, followed by match 9 in Salvador, Italy against Brazil (68,114) and the Final in Maracanã/Rio de Janeiro (51,388). The vast majority of applications came from Brazil followed by USA, Mexico, Spain, Japan, Germany, France, Italy and Argentina.

It is important to re-emphasis that FIFA will not be able to fulfill all of the 399,525 ticket requests received during this sales phase as the number of ticket requests received for certain matches and categories exceeds the available inventory by far. It is equally important to highlight that FIFA will make sure that the CAT4 tickets are only available to Brazilian residents and to which students, elderly and Bolsa family members have priority access to, at least 50,000 tickets will be assigned during the draw in the next couple of days.

During the Visa pre-sales phase, which ended on 30 November 2012, 132,843 tickets were sold. The next sales phase starting on 15 February 2013 will be on a first-come-first-serve basis again via www.FIFA.com/ticketing.

FIFA

• 3 weeks later...

2013 Africa Cup of Nations (The winner will qualify for the 2013 Confederations Cup)

semi-finals matches to be played on feb 6th

Mali v Nigeria

Burkina faso v Ghana

Mali 1 - 4 Nigeria

Burkina Faso 1 - 1 Ghana (3-2 on penalties shots)

Burkina Faso will play Nigeria in Sunday's final of the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations.

Over 86 per cent of assigned tickets in public hands after first sales phase

More than 86 per cent of the 426,343 assigned tickets for the FIFA Confederations Cup have been directly distributed to the general public following the ballot triggered by the first public sales phase. The lottery after the first public sales phase, scrutinised by an official notary, allocated 209,692 tickets among the 399,525 ticket requests received during the first public sales phase, which ended on 15 January 2013.

In total, footballs fans resident in 138 different countries were assigned tickets so far. During the first public sales phase for the FIFA Confederations Cup, the host nation Brazil leads the way in terms of successful applicants, with 98 per cent, followed in descending order by the USA, Mexico, Spain, Japan, Germany, Italy and England.

The second public tickets sales phase, following the 'first come, first served' principle, begins on 15 February, at 12:00 CET again via www.FIFA.com/ticketing. In total approximately 291,200 tickets are still available for those who would like to see the eight high-profile teams live at the stadiums during the 'Festival of Champions' from 15 to 30 June 2013 in one of the six FIFA World Cup arenas.

At this stage there are no longer tickets available for the opening match between hosts Brazil and Japan on 15 June in Brasilia, the Group A match between Italy and Brazil in Salvador. There is a limited number of tickets available for the final on 30 June in the Maracana.

FIFA

Prize money up by 14 per cent

Total prize money at the FIFA Confederations Cup Brazil 2013 will be up 14 per cent compared with the last edition in South Africa in 2009. In total a prize pool of $20m USD will be shared among the eight participating nations.

As well as the considerable prestige that comes with winning the Festival of Champions, which features the best sides from each continent, the victorious team in the 30 June final at the Maracana will take home a cool $4.1m USD. The runners-up, meanwhile, will earn $3.6m USD.

At the match for third place that same day in Salvador, a podium finish will not be the only thing up for grabs. The winner of that fixture will pick up $3m USD, while the team finishing fourth will go home with $2.5m USD. Teams eliminated during the group phase and finishing fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth will each receive $1.7m USD.

At the 2009 edition of the FIFA Confederations Cup the total prize fund was $17.6m USD million, with champions Brazil picking up $3.75m USD along with the coveted trophy.

Following Nigeria’s coronation at the 2013 CAF Africa Cup of Nations last weekend, the line-up for this year’s Festival of Champions is now complete. Joining the Africa champions in Brazil this June will be Spain, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Tahiti, Uruguay as well as the hosts.

FIFA

Archived