CBC, Bell dissolve Olympic partnership

From CBC:

CBC, Bell dissolve Olympic partnership

CBC/Radio-Canada and Bell Media announced Monday they will no longer submit joint bids for the Canadian media rights for the 2014 and 2016 Olympics.

The organizations had previously submitted two joint bids for the package, but both were rejected by the International Olympic Committee.

"We presented not one, but two fiscally responsible bids that are reflective of the Canadian marketplace," Phil King, the president of CTV Programming and Sports, said in a statement. "Unfortunately, we were not able to reach agreement on terms with the IOC."

Full article: CBC: CBC, Bell dissolve Olympic partnership

Good for them. They at least had some spine to step away from the IOC's dictatorial terms. Wish No Backbone Corporation would do the same.

Don't you mean Corporation Only Making Crazy And Stupid Tenders?

There's no dictatorial terms here, just that the 2 couldn't reach an agreement on what the 2014/2016 package is worth. And it's different in the United States, because if NBComcast hadn't severely over-bid what they did for the 4 games package, Fox and ESPN were right there with an offer. Don't know if the IOC would have rejected anything that fell short of the $4 billion they were looking for, but obviously there's a lot more on the line there than in Canada.

I don't know how similar this is to the low-ball bid from Australia in 1988, but where's Dick Pound for some historical perspective on this one. He said (and in doing some research, this is a direct quote).. “If I have to make an example of Australia, I will. I don’t care.” “You explain to people why the Games aren’t on in Australia.” I guess that's what is happening here. What happens from here, who knows. But for NBComcast's stupidity in their 2014-2020 bid (and it's not simply that they bid, more that they over-shot the competition.. AGAIN), at least they're giving another go at it. Which is more than you can say for Rogers and Bell Media.

Rumors had Yahoo bidding for the rights as well.

Well with budget cutback at CBC the partnership was doomed. Maybe Rogers might be convinced to come back or Bell might have to team up with Shaw communications.

Archived