Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hobart

Phone and ipad sim card

Just looking for advice on what are good and bad phone providers to use while in London? I have an iphone and ipad that I would like to use to keep up with results and also in contact with family while we are out an about.

Also what is the mobile and wi-fi coverage like at Olympic Park? If anyone went to a test even could you get mobile internet on your phone?

I know in Melbourne when I go to big sports event at MCG it almost impossible to get mobile internet as everyone had an internet mobile in there hand. Will it be the same at the Olympics?

T-Mobile have great offers. I just bought a sim card and got a pay as you go plan for international calls. 10£ of credit to be used + 60 minutes free international calls for the next month + free internet during 6 months (including all blackberry uses) ! So will credit again 10£ in july to get my international calls for august, and I am totally covers for the 3 weeks of the games !

Regarding internet through 3G, as you mentionned that is a problem... that's why the city of london & LOCOG developped wifi in a lot of venues around the city. (Was not active at the time of the test events)

Yes, mobile internet was fine during the test events (aquatic centre and stadium) but then not sure how many people were actively trying to use it. I'm on O2 who have put lots of extra masts etc in and around the Park. Some providers do different tariffs for 'smartphones' since they know they use mobile internet more. Three quite often have good deals on PAYG.

This was in a LOCOG email...

If you're going to an event on the Olympic Park and have a smartphone or tablet, you can use the Wi-Fi provided by BT. BT Broadband customers should use their account username and password for free, unlimited access. O2 mobile customers with BT Wi-fi as part of their contracts can also get online. Non-BT customers should buy a Wi-Fi voucher in advance.

http://www.btwifi.com/