Sign in to follow this  
Citius Altius Fortius

Semi Final 2: Deutschland v Italia

They just released the line-ups. Surprised Lars Bender is not playing instead of Boateng, and thought Reus did enough to subplant Podolski, but instead it is Kroos instead of Muller.

That should have been a penalty. It was blocked from going into the net by Pirlo's arm.

well, I had the impression that after the first goal of Italy the German team had huge problems - the German team didn't find a mean to "crack up" Italy...

Congratulations Italy - well done!

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

Not even the biggest upset tonight, Nadal's just been dumped out of Wimbledon!

Oh well... Somehow (sadly) one gets used to getting kicked out again and again shortly before reaching the big trophy. Italy is a fully deserved winner, and it confirms my fears before the match (based on that team's history) that they will get better and better during the knock-out stage. And just like in the previous matches, the German offence showed major deficits. Sadly, also the defence did this time around.

And now we hear what we also heard in 2010: "This German team is young, it can still win the titles in 2014 and/or 2016." True, and frankly, I never felt that this tournament really is their time to get the title. Yes, they were co-favourites until tonight because the other teams played pretty weakly (at first) but they always lacked that certain touch of dominance necessary for the title.

Italy suddenly showed that dominance tonight and I suppose that therefore, they will be the new European Champions. Spain had a tough time against them in their group match, and it will probably have an even tougher time in the final.

Last but not least: I hope that I will still be this composed tomorrow morning. Based on the experience after the last three "shortly before the aim" losses within the past six years, the next morning is always awful for me when it really sinks in. But at least we German supporters can be glad that Italy didn't stab us right in our hearts with two very late goals as in 2006. ;)

Condolences to our German friends. I really thought Germany would win Euro 2012.

Italy never cease to surprise me. I had assumed they were a much inferior side to past Italian teams but they just get better and better at each stage of the tournament. If they don't get knocked out early, it's always quite likely they will go through and win it or at least make the final.

For all the troubles that have beset the Azzuris over the past few years, they continue to have what it takes on the big stage of international football. I wish they would bottle some of it and send it to England! B)

Edited by Mainad

Too bad, I was pulling for Germany but that was a fully deserved win for Italy. That second goal by Balotelli was beastly.

For all the troubles that have beset the Azzuris

That's a double plural as azzurri is plural for azzurro.

Off-topic, but a nice consolation for the defeat on Thursday: Germany has just finished the European Athletics Championships in Helsinki on top of the medal table, with six gold, six silver and four bronze medals. So as replacement for one failed European Champion, we have six new European Champions in a different sport. ;) Not bad actually, and it also gives a lot of hope for the athletics competition in London.

Interesting idea, but maybe it is hurting the German team that so many of the starting 11 play for Bayern Munich. The two players that have made the most improvement over the last 2 years are the ones that play in Spain. So maybe its time for Muller to move on to a top club else where and maybe players like Gotze, and the Benders need to move to Italy, England or Spain to develop more.

What the German team would have been without those Bayern players could be seen in the disastrous test match against Switzerland. It's true that the Bayern players weren't in top shape and that they probably were still affected by the three defeats in the Bundesliga, the DFB cup and the Champions League. But nevertheless, a German team can't do without them.

And Özil played a decent tournament, but didn't show the "explosion" Jogi Löw had predicted before the EURO. The improvement he achieved in Madrid couldn't be really seen in this EURO. Khedira was stronger than in 2010, yes. But I wouldn't say that playing for a foreign club is the only recipe to be strong. Mats Hummels played a very good tournament, just like Marco Reus and Lars Bender, all three playing for German clubs. And Götze is still so young that we really can't say that he already has to leave his club to improve. He couldn't really show what he is able to at this tournament.

Sign in to follow this