Sign in to follow this  
Ikarus360

Kazan 2013 Universiade

Before Sochi 2014, Russia will host the 2013 Universiade in Kazan. I decided to make a thread in order to update with some info about the event, as well for construction updates (the main stadium will also be used for the 2018 World Cup).

The designs for the medals and torch has been unveiled earlier this month:

1762.png

1761.png

Approved the design of the torch and medals of the 2013 Universiade

In Kazan, approved the design torch and medals of the 2013 Universiade

Today, at a meeting of the Supervisory Board of ANO "Executive management" Kazan 2013 "was approved by the design of medals and the torch of the Universiade-2013.

Medal consists of three circles of different diameters. The first circle represents the universe or the cosmos, the second round - the planet Earth, and the third - Man. In the first round of the coin the inscription «U are the World!» («You - this world!") And the number "27» (XXVII Summer Universiade).

The first side features the logo of the 2013 Universiade and the inscription in English: "Student. Kazan. Russia "and the year of the five stars symbolize the five continents of the International University Sports Federation (FISU). On the second side of the coin shows a Latin letter «U» and 5 stars, representing the continents

http://kazanweek.ru/article/3269/

Today, June 4, at a meeting of the Supervisory Board of ANO "Executive management" Kazan 2013 "with participation of Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko, the design was approved by the upcoming Olympics medals.

In addition, the Supervisory Board approved the layout and the torch of the Universiade, according to the Department of Media ANO "Executive management" Kazan 2013. "

In order to develop sketches of medals and the torch of the Universiade was held a closed competition among professional design companies. Upon review of bids, the tender committee, the approval of the Supervisory Board was presented a design layout that carries multiple meanings. Medal consists of three circles of different diameters, with each subsequent round houses the semantic orientation of the previous one. The first circle represents the universe or the cosmos, the second round - the planet Earth, and the third - Man. In the first round of the coin the inscription "U are the World!" ("You - this world!") And the figure "27" (XXVII Summer Universiade).

The first side features the logo of the 2013 Universiade and the inscription in English: "Student. Kazan. Russia ", and the year of the five stars symbolize the five continents of the International University Sports Federation (FISU). In addition, information is decorated with traditional Tatar ornament - a tulip, which is one of the key symbols of the 2013 Universiade. On the second side of the coin depicts the Latin letter "U" and five stars, representing the continents. It is mandatory branding of any sporting event, held under the auspices of FISU. It is also the main ideological symbol, which is subject to all the artistic solution shows, as well as the attributes of the Universiade - the figure of a flying man with a burning torch in his hand.

For approval by the members of the Supervisory Board of Management of the Universiade also presented two sketch Universiade torch in 2013 - as symbolic of the wing and in the form of tulips - a symbol of the 2013 Universiade.

The first option is designed as a symbolic wing embodies an ancient dream of humanity's desire for freedom and knowledge. In addition, the wing also represents a thought or idea of ​​a cruise.

In another embodiment, the torch is presented in the form of stylized tulips, containing an image of the Latin letter "U", which is a must-branding of any sports event, held under the auspices of FISU. The concept is the so-called flame flower style, the essence of the modern Tatar ornament. It is this version and was approved as the official torch of the Universiade 2013.

http://sport.mail.ru/news/olympics/9163813/

Last year, Igor Krutoy was made the director of the 2013 Universiade ceremonies. He will work alongside russian designer Boris Krasnov. The rehearsals will start this summer (seems they really want to surpass what Shenzhen did last year).

http://eng.tatar-inform.ru/news/2011/03/23/35218/

More info here http://kazan2013.com/kazan-live/interview/cultural-universiade-from-idea-to-implementation/

Igor Krutoy is both a show producer/director and music composer. He said he would give focus to Tatar music and compose a series of tracks for the ceremonies. He also did the surprisingly good ceremonies of the late 2011 Winter Universiade in Astana/Almaty, Kazakshtan (which had music composed by him)

Updates of the Kazan Stadium which will host 45.000 spectators and will also host the 2018 WC

Bu1Gs.jpg

fw0oE.jpg

shplX.jpg

fowvJ.jpg

00RPI.jpg

cpTJ8.jpg

How the stadium will look like

kazan-stadium-world-cup.jpg

The designs for the medals and torch has been unveiled earlier this month:

1762.png

1761.png

What's that gold torch to the right, it looks different that the one on the left?

The medal looks like an old medal from the 50s, and the colored torch is kinda bad like so many these days that sorta seem to steal design cues from Sydney's which was the best asymmetric colored one I remember that still looked classy with élan.

^^ I'm not a big fan of the medal design either. About the torches, those were the two finalist designs, but the one at the right ended up being the winner design.

Btw, the torch relay started last July http://kazan2013.ru/flame/en It's traveling arround the world aboard a ship called Sedov

Do these Games still have a future? Do athletes use these games als a stepping stone to Olympic Games or regional Games?

In Holland hardly any attention for these Games: no broadcast, nothing in the news or any other coverage. Also Dutch participation is quite limited, the recent editions...

Do these Games still have a future? Do athletes use these games als a stepping stone to Olympic Games or regional Games?

In Holland hardly any attention for these Games: no broadcast, nothing in the news or any other coverage. Also Dutch participation is quite limited, the recent editions...

Really I don't know. I didn't know about it until last year when I was interested in 2015/2017 FINA world championship bids race

when I was searching about kazan 2015 bid I found that they will host a major multi-sport event in 2013 and it's the universiade

the only news I remember about it when Erdogan speech was broadcasted live in some political news channel in opening/closing ceremony of winter version of these games somewhere in Turkey in 2011

I think that was the first time I hear about these games in my life before I know more about it after kazan bid for 2015/2017 Fina world championship

all my other information about these games was from the internet and all was related to fina 2015 championship

I found some videos which I posted here and also know that universidad is held every 2 years and it was held somewhere in china in 2011

I don't know which cities will host 2015/2017 and beyond games or anything about the history of the games before 2013

I don't know why but these games don't make me search more about it's history/future as other sporting events did

maybe because there is no interest in these games and there is no mention about it in the media or because I think the olympic games and the continental multi-sport events is more than enough

I'm with you - I'd never heard of these games before I joined GamesBids - and even then, it's only posters like yourself or Guardian who I've ever seen make mention of them.

Edited by Sir Rols

Yea Universiade is pretty well not known. Shenzen did put on a grand ceremony last year though

I guess China (and Russia) would stage mega ceremonies even for domino tournaments. :rolleyes:

Kazan 2013 deny they are on verge of bankruptcy over unapid tax bill

11 - Head of the Kazan 2013 Universiade Organising Committee Igor Suvalov and the Audit Chamber of Russia have moved to deny reports that the Organising Committee are close to bankruptcy.

A Russian newspaper had reported that a letter from Head of the Audit Chamber Sergei Stepashin to Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said the cash reserves for the Games were 100 million rubles (£2 million/$3 million/€2.5 million) short of being sufficient to cover its tax bill.

"The preparations for the Universiade are conducted at the highest professional level with maximum transparency," said Suvalov.

"All questions and difficulties that may arise are being resolved in working order.

"Somebody wanted to find a sensation where there was none."

The Audit Chamber, the Parliamentary body in charges of financial affairs in Russia, claimed that the contents of the letter have been exaggerated by media in an official statement.

"The report from the Audit Chamber of the Russian Federation simply indicated the necessity of resolving questions in the area of taxation that may arise during the implementation of partnership agreements during the Universiade," the said.

They also stated that talks over the financial health of the Games are in progress between the Audit Chamber, the federal Finance Ministry and the regional Tatarstan Government that govern the host city of Kazan.

The 27th World University Games are due take place from July 6 until July 17 and will see around 13,500 athletes from approximately 170 nations compete.

Insidethegames

I find it hard to believe a Universiade can ever make money or break even. Just that aquatic centre alone looks like a $100mill+ investment let alone the rest of the works... I know they'll claim some of the costs are also for the 2018 World Cup - however it does look like China and Russia (Qatar too, and the UAE) are the go to people for stupid expense ridden sporting events these days. Its at the point now where Brisbane can kiss goodbye to any Olympic dreams as the price tag would be too high.

I find it hard to believe a Universiade can ever make money or break even. Just that aquatic centre alone looks like a $100mill+ investment let alone the rest of the works... I know they'll claim some of the costs are also for the 2018 World Cup - however it does look like China and Russia (Qatar too, and the UAE) are the go to people for stupid expense ridden sporting events these days. Its at the point now where Brisbane can kiss goodbye to any Olympic dreams as the price tag would be too high.

South Korea as well. They host almost every other summer or winter universiade for that matter.