News bits

• 1 month later...
Experienced South Korean appointed executive creative director for Pyeongchang 2018 Ceremonies

Song Seung-whan has been appointed as executive creative director for both the Opening and Closing Ceremonies at the 2018 Winter Olympic Games in Pyeongchang, it has been announced.

The South Korean currently works as chief executive and executive artistic director of the Seoul-based PMC Production and his selection has been hailed by Pyeongchang 2018 President Cho Yang-ho.

“I am very pleased to have Song Seung-whan on board with us,” he said.

“His experience and creative talent will prove to be valuable assets in producing Ceremonies that will harmoniously connect our passion, tradition and cosmopolitan culture to the international audience.”

Song has a wealth of experience in the creative production field having created the country’s number one non-verbal performance “Nanta”, the longest-running show in Korea’s history.

He began his career as an actor, primarily for theatre and television and following the success of “Nanta”, he became involved with the Korea Musical Theater Association as chairman in 2011 and 2012.

Song has also received a number of awards for his work over the years, including the Art of the Year award, given to him by the Arts Council Korea for his role as producer of the musical mono drama “A Fairy in the Wall”.

He was also given a culture medal at the prestigious South Korea Pop Culture and Art Awards in 2012.

“It is a great honour to join Pyeongchang 2018 as executive creative director for the 2018 Olympic Games’ Ceremonies,” Song said.

“I will devote my best efforts to orchestrate exciting and memorable Ceremonies.”

Following his appointment, it was also announced that the creative team for both Ceremonies will include local Korean talent and international experts.

It follows Pyeongchang 2018’s establishment of the International Consulting Committee, which will help choose suitable candidates who will assist in the production and direction of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies.

The Opening Ceremony of the 2018 Winter Olympics is due to take place on February 9, with the Closing Ceremony scheduled for February 25.

The Paralympic Winter Games, meanwhile, are scheduled to begin on March 9 and run through to March 18.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1028411/experienced-south-korean-appointed-executive-creative-director-for-pyeongchang-2018-ceremonies

^^ Glad to see they're finally moving with the planning of the Opening Ceremony. Since the arena for the ceremonies will be a temporary one, I guess its design and form will depend of how the ceremony will end up being designed. So I expect it will be built kind of late. I wonder if they will have any of the big names like Ric Birch or Fivecurrents as consultants.

For those who have no idea what Nanta is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanta_(show) . Its a very sucessful musical show which also made it onto Broadway some years ago.

http://nanta.i-pmc.co.kr/Nanta/en/Intro.aspx

Nanta had a small number in the opening ceremony of the 2002 Asian Games in Busan, btw.

^^Except they're having a consulting team of experts this time, unlike the others. Incheon dissapointed me a lot but Gwangju was not too bad. I think K-Pop is whats scaring many here but even they restrained themselves with the K-pop thing on the handover, on where it was absent (The other two handovers had K-Pop everywhere)

If they're going to get a music director for Pyeongchang, i really suggest they pick Yang Bang-Ean again (he worked in the handover already) since he's a very good composer with an already vast experience, and would fit more for an Olympics ceremony IMO

Opening for the TV series "The Merchant"

Opening for "Prince of Jeju"

Arrangement of Arirang for the investiture of Park Cheung Hye as president in 2013 (yeah he did other arrangmenet of the song besides the handover one)

Guys... after seeing this video twice... I can not believe that the first song of this video is extremely catchy for me!!!!!! OMG!!!!! I heard it on my mind for a long time...

:unsure: :unsure: :wacko: :wacko: :blink: :blink: :o :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ2ZQV0zH9s

Well both korean and japanese are known for making very catchy music (I myself am a listener of these to be honest). I also liked this song :P

Torchbearer, they will have Kpop somewhere (most likely the theme song of the games) but I think they might be more appopiate for the closing ceremony.

I had an idea: Just like London 2012 closing ceremony was a celebration of british pop culture over the years, maybe Korea could do the same with the closing ceremony: A big celebration of K-Pop and their modern trends. However i think the opening might be a bit more traditionalistic, showing us the history of Korea over the ages with some modern touches (but executed on a different way to Beijing). The whole modern theme of Gwangju fitted because the Universiade is all about the youth taking part on a big competition. But the olympics are an event which will be watched by millions worldwide, so I think they will be more careful when picking themes.

Even London opening, which had current trend themes couldn't avoid showing some of their history with the first segment.

Well both korean and japanese are known for making very catchy music (I myself am a listener of these to be honest). I also liked this song :P

Torchbearer, they will have Kpop somewhere (most likely the theme song of the games) but I think they might be more appopiate for the closing ceremony.

I had an idea: Just like London 2012 closing ceremony was a celebration of british pop culture over the years, maybe Korea could do the same with the closing ceremony: A big celebration of K-Pop and their modern trends. However i think the opening might be a bit more traditionalistic, showing us the history of Korea over the ages with some modern touches (but executed on a different way to Beijing). The whole modern theme of Gwangju fitted because the Universiade is all about the youth taking part on a big competition. But the olympics are an event which will be watched by millions worldwide, so I think they will be more careful when picking themes.

Even London opening, which had current trend themes couldn't avoid showing some of their history with the first segment.

Yea, maybe... Sme of the K pop are not only caychy but a little weird for those who love (as me) the classical pop music (reffering 70 80 and 90's anglo and latin pop)

Ikarus, tú que hablas español.... en la primera canción del video .... no te suena a una parte como si dijera "sigan al gatito... júrame un gatito..." ???? jajajajaja.....

K Pop is vile.

Not all of it.

Shinee - Dream Girl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhxjEXDAy6s

Even Aussie reviewers put Shinee in their top 10 singles of the year.

Big Bang - We Like 2 Party

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFmfi1vM7co

Simply one of the best songs of the year. If this was by 1D it would be a global smash.

Edited by thatsnotmypuppy

Not all of it.

Shinee - Dream Girl

Even Aussie reviewers put Shinee in their top 10 singles of the year.

Big Bang - We Like 2 Party

Simply one of the best songs of the year. If this was by 1D it would be a global smash.

They're a bit, er, pop. Hard-edged seems to be the thing these days.

Ah it's called 'K - wait for it, wait for it - POP'!!!!

I normally love Robyn but bitch needs to head back to the studio and get working on a proper 'Body Talk' follow up.

Thing was, your K-Pop examples reminded me of the poppier Robyn circa "Cobrastyle" and I was contrasting her current style (see also TS "Bad Blood" for a similar move).

• 2 weeks later...
Hyundai, Kia to sponsor PyeongChang Winter Olympics
South Korea's two largest automakers signed on as sponsors for its first Winter Olympic Games on Thursday.

The organizing committee for the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics said Hyundai Motor Co. and its smaller affiliate Kia Motors Corp. will provide some 4,100 official vehicles and cash to help run the multisport competition.

The signing ceremony took place in PyeongChang, Gangwon Province, some 180 kilometers east of Seoul.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

IOC urges Pyeongchang organizers to prep for Olympic test events

The Associated Press

Published Thursday, September 24, 2015 7:03AM EDT

PYEONGCHANG, Korea, Republic Of -- The International Olympic Committee pressed South Korean organizers on Thursday to make sure venues are completed in time for crucial test events ahead of the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang.

The IOC's co-ordination commission wrapped up a three-day visit -- and its fifth overall trip -- to Pyeongchang to check on preparations for the first Winter Olympics in South Korea.

"The competition sites remain on schedule for the games but the organizers need to maintain their focus, as some delivery dates are very close to the start of the test events," commission chair Gunilla Lindberg said.

Test events in Alpine skiing, freestyle skiing and snowboarding are scheduled to be held early next year.

"It is important that Pyeongchang 2018 delivers these events successfully and, in particular, the test events next February, in order to create a solid basis for its planning and preparations for the games," Lindberg said.

The IOC has expressed concern in the past about the pace of planning and venue construction in Pyeongchang, but Lindberg said Thursday that preparations are now "developing well."

The IOC panel was joined for the meetings by leaders of the seven international sports federations on the Winter Games program.

"It has been a very productive three days," Pyeongchang organizing committee head Cho Yang-ho said. "I feel that we are in the right direction to stage a great Olympic and Paralympic Games."

The IOC has previously been worried about a shortage of domestic sponsors for the games, but noted Thursday that local organizers have reached over 50 per cent of their sponsorship target.

"This showed the commission the strong backing of the Korean business community for the games," the IOC said.

Hyundai and Kia Motors signed on as domestic sponsors in July.

The IOC commission's next visit to Pyeongchang will be in March 2016.

AP

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/ioc-urges-pyeongchang-organizers-to-prep-for-olympic-test-events-1.2578594

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

PyeongChang Winter Olympic Games announces ticket prices

Tickets to the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympic Games opening ceremony will cost 200,000 won ($174) to 1.5 million won.

The organizing committee for the games announced Monday ticket prices for the opening and closing ceremonies and individual games. Closing ceremony tickets are priced from 220,000 won to 950,000 won. The opening and closing ceremonies are the third and fifth, respectively, most anticipated events among Koreans, according to a survey of 1,741 Koreans on popularity of the upcoming Winter Olympic Games events.

“The ticket prices have been set based on extensive market research and comparisons with previous Winter Olympics in Vancouver and Sochi,” said Yeo Hyung-koo, secretary general of the organizing committee, at a news conference Monday in Seoul.

Ticket prices are on par with the Vancouver Winter Olympics in 2010 and slightly lower than the Sochi Games in 2014. The PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games will take place for 17 days from Feb. 9-25 in 2018.

Prices for tickets to individual events range from 20,000 won to 900,000 won.

Admissions to short track speed skating competitions, the most popular among Koreans, range from 55,000 won to 550,000 won. Tickets for short, free and gala programs for figure skating, the second most popular winter sport here, range from 165,000 won to 800,000 won.

Tickets to qualifying rounds for bobsled and skeleton, where Korean athletes have shown great progress recently, start at 20,000 won and 40,000 won for the final rounds.

One of the most expensive tickets is for men’s ice hockey, a traditionally popular winter sport, with tickets for the final rounds costing 300,000 won to 900,000 won.

The committee plans to issue a total of 1,170,000 tickets with 70 percent of them expected to sell within the country and 30 percent to be sold to visitors from 84 different countries.

Ticket sales will open in October 2017 on the mobile site of the organizing committee for both Koreans and foreigners. Tickets can only be purchased with Visa cards or by cash.

For more information, visit www.pyeongchang2018.com.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20160411000888