Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Cauldron Lighter Prediction Market

Are people still not betting on it NOT being a former Olympian and more a young inspiring person from East London? I thought that was what most people wanted?

There won't be any Bradley Wiggins lighting a cauldron after midnight if he has to compete only nine to ten hours later.

I disagree. We're talking about, arguably, the world's greatest endurance athlete. Besides, unless the torch lighting involves riding a bike up the Orbit, it's not going to be a terribly strenuous activity.

What I said is based on the fact that many athletes who have to compete the next or the following days skip the opening ceremony. Those are fit people as well, and nevertheless they are cautious about their shape.

And in Wiggins' case: If he had to light the cauldron at, let's say, 12:30 a.m. and even if he left immediately afterwards for the Olympic Village and avoided the big rush home of the spectators, he wouldn't be able to catch a lot of sleep before having to get up, warm up and be driven to the Mall for the road race start at 10 a.m.

What I said is based on the fact that many athletes who have to compete the next or the following days skip the opening ceremony. Those are fit people as well, and nevertheless they are cautious about their shape.

And in Wiggins' case: If he had to light the cauldron at, let's say, 12:30 a.m. and even if he left immediately afterwards for the Olympic Village and avoided the big rush home of the spectators, he wouldn't be able to catch a lot of sleep before having to get up, warm up and be driven to the Mall for the road race start at 10 a.m.

That's really his and his coach's decision to make.

Olympian2004 is right. It's not going to be Wiggo because of the schedule.

That's really his and his coach's decision to make.

Well, I can hardly force him to stay away from the opening ceremony, if you mean that. I'm just saying why it's very, very unlikely he will participate there.

If an offer came to me to "Light the Cauldron," and I'd have a race to run tomorrow. I would do both. An offer like that comes only once in a lifetime. I already got my other gold medals and I got the TdF; so why not have it all? THat's how I would go.

If an offer came to me to "Light the Cauldron," and I'd have a race to run tomorrow. I would do both. An offer like that comes only once in a lifetime. I already got my other gold medals and I got the TdF; so why not have it all? THat's how I would go.

Unlike you though he isn't a selfish arrogant fool who thinks he is more important than everyone else around him. He has a job to do as part of a team - part one was the likes of Mark Cavendish helping him win the Tour de France, part two is returning the favour in order to get Cavendish gold on Saturday. He isn't riding for himself next week, he's riding for the team.

I think it'd be unlikely LOCOG would ask him. They know the schedule. Were the schedules different he might be considered and would be worthy of lighting it, but since they aren't this conversarion is moot.

I highly doubt that Bradley Wiggins will be the final torchbearer or even take part in the opening ceremony. It's because the men's road race takes place already at 10 a.m. on the next morning.

Yup. Rules him out.

I wouldn't.

How about that British ladies team of curling from Salt Lake '02? Any news?

I think Winter Olympians lighting the summer cauldron is even more unlikely than Muhammad Ali participating in the final leg of the torch relay.

I think it'd be unlikely LOCOG would ask him. They know the schedule. Were the schedules different he might be considered and would be worthy of lighting it, but since they aren't this conversarion is moot.

I understand what you (and everyone else) are saying, but I just don't think Wiggins would turn down the opportunity if offered. I mean, would the experience of lighting the cauldron really be that harmful to Wiggins' performance in the road race? Again, this is a man that will have just raced 2,000 miles over three weeks. Admittedly, he never had to race a stage the day after having performed the previous night. But will staying up late (and that's all we're talking about here; lighting the cauldron shouldn't be a very physically demanding task) really be so detrimental to his performance the next day that he would give up this supremely prestigious honor? (And I don't think Cavendish would begrudge Wiggo for jeopardizing his gold medal - more likely he'd be wishing he was chosen instead.)

I think Winter Olympians lighting the summer cauldron is even more unlikely than Muhammad Ali participating in the final leg of the torch relay.

I mean, Amy Williams and Torvill and Dean are the only names people bring when talking about British winter olympians to carry the flame inside the stadium. My question is more about how relevant is the gold of 2002 for that team being worth a mention on the possible names for the final leg on the 27th.

I'd live to see Torvill and Dean incorporated somehow on the 27th -- even though they're Winter Olympians. One of the most magical Olympic moments ever and certainly a highlight of British sport.

Sorry. read "love to see".

I'd live to see Torvill and Dean incorporated somehow on the 27th -- even though they're Winter Olympians. One of the most magical Olympic moments ever and certainly a highlight of British sport.

:blink: I was starting to get worried there until I read the last bit!

I understand what you (and everyone else) are saying, but I just don't think Wiggins would turn down the opportunity if offered. I mean, would the experience of lighting the cauldron really be that harmful to Wiggins' performance in the road race? Again, this is a man that will have just raced 2,000 miles over three weeks. Admittedly, he never had to race a stage the day after having performed the previous night. But will staying up late (and that's all we're talking about here; lighting the cauldron shouldn't be a very physically demanding task) really be so detrimental to his performance the next day that he would give up this supremely prestigious honor? (And I don't think Cavendish would begrudge Wiggo for jeopardizing his gold medal - more likely he'd be wishing he was chosen instead.)

Remember though these are professional sportsmen, not Olympic fanboys like most of us here. I struggle to understand why so many don't attend the opening ceremony, especially the track and field stars who are not competing for a week, but it's one more sacrifice they're willing to make in order to achieve the bigger aim of winning Olympic Gold.

Sir Chris Hoy - triple Olympic champion in 2008, the first Brit to do so in 100 years. Has four Olympic golds to his name and a realistic chance of making that six in these games. Represents both past glories and current expectations, and also a nod to the work cycling has done over the last 15 years or so to become our most successful Olympic sport.

I thought Hoy was favourite to carry the flag.

How about that British ladies team of curling from Salt Lake '02? Any news?

That would be as eyebrow-raising as having Michael Platini light the Albertville flame. Like WTF? But considering how wacky the rest of that evening was, maybe it wasn't all that strange. (What's worse, in Grenoble 1968, they had a local wrestling champ light the 2nd flame at the closing. :wacko: )

Does not rule them out, but Torvill and Dean already carried the torch in Nottingham. I think they could be among the last bearers, but not lighters.

Does not rule them out, but Torvill and Dean already carried the torch in Nottingham. I think they could be among the last bearers, but not lighters.

No. Not lighters. I'm just saying it would be nice to include them somehow.

Since most of what I know about British sports comes from reading The Sun, my understanding is that the most important people in sports are the WAG's.

Maybe one of them will light it.

Sign in to follow this