Cauldron Lighter Prediction Market

I highly doubt that Bradley Wiggins will be the final torchbearer or even take part in the opening ceremony. It's because the men's road race takes place already at 10 a.m. on the next morning.

Wimp! I'm doing the Opening Ceremony, making my own way home from Stratford and then getting up to cycle to watch the road race. ;) I am considering taking a travel pillow so I can snooze between the start and them getting to Box Hill which wouldn't be an option for Wiggins!

Sadly, it won't be him however 'of the time' and deserved it might be because of that schedule. I wonder if they might try to get him a torch-bearing slot though at some point in London.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be as eyebrow-raising as having Michael Platini light the Albertville flame. Like WTF? But considering how wacky the rest of that evening was, maybe it wasn't all that strange. (What's worse, in Grenoble 1968, they had a local wrestling champ light the 2nd flame at the closing. :wacko: )

Nobody cares about curling... -_-

Coe denies Olympic torch decision is done

Seb Coe has denied suggestions the final torchbearer for this week's Olympic opening ceremony has already been decided.

He also claimed that the creative team behind the ceremony will make a final judgement, not a 'gang of two' consisting of Locog chief executive Paul Deighton and Team GB chef de mission Andy Hunt, as appeared to be suggested by the British Olympic Association.

"It will be a judgment made by our creative teams, which are led by Danny Boyle and Stephen Daldry," said Coe.

"Do I have a view on this personally or privately? Yes, of course. But have we made a judgment about this, no we haven't."

Coe, who has no part in the decision-making process, has previously expressed a preference for two-time decathlon gold medallist Daley Thompson, who carries the torch this week, to have the honour, claiming he considers him Britain's greatest Olympian and also his 'great mate'.

In contrast the BOA believe the prized job should go to Sir Steve Redgrave, the five-time Olympic gold medallist and, currently, Team GB's most decorated Olympian.

And BOA chief executive Andy Hunt appeared to suggest that it was he and Deighton who had the final say on who would get the honour - and appeared to hint a decision had already been made.

"It's a joint decision and discussions have taken place over quite some time. The ceremonies committee will and have made recommendations, which we can choose to support or not," said Hunt.

"The debate is on-going, but there is a mutually acceptable solution. All the debate has been very positive but it's a big topic.

"I can't disclose the criteria we used but I'm sure everyone will be immensely proud with the outcome of the debates we had. It will be a wow moment and we don't have long to wait."

Redgrave, who carried the Olympic flame in Henley earlier this month, has said he believes a group of athletes will be involved - like the members of the 1980 USA 'Miracle on Ice' ice hockey team, who lit the flame at the 2002 Winter Games in Salt Lake City.

http://uk.eurosport....-101359475.html

With Chris Hoy to carry the flag for Great Britain, could that mean Wiggins can safely be ruled out once and for all? Doubt they'd give two of the biggest honours to two current male cyclists.

I really don't see the problem with naming one current male cyclist to carry the flag, and another to light the cauldron. Britain is on top of the cycling world right now - in fact, they dominate the sport. It would be fitting to have two Team GB cyclists feature at the opening ceremony.

All this news means is that it definitely won't be Hoy that lights the cauldron.

If there's too much bickering about Thompson vs. Redgrave I wonder if they'll say, "Fine! NEITHER of them will do it." That would be unfortunate, because in my opinion they are the two best options.

It is interesting that the conversation seems to imply there is a single cauldron lighter -- not multiple ones.

If there's too much bickering about Thompson vs. Redgrave I wonder if they'll say, "Fine! NEITHER of them will do it." That would be unfortunate, because in my opinion they are the two best options.

It is interesting that the conversation seems to imply there is a single cauldron lighter -- not multiple ones.

It's that much harder to coordinate multiple 'lighters,' and the secrecy 'leak' factor extrapolates x-times higher by using multiple lighters.

It's that much harder to coordinate multiple 'lighters,' and the secrecy 'leak' factor extrapolates x-times higher by using multiple lighters.

Plus it takes away a bit of the drama and prestige, I think. In 2002, there were many "cauldron lighters" who never came close to touching the torch or the cauldron; they were reduced to waving to the cameras. In 2010, again multiple cauldron lighters (in my view, an injustice to Gretzky, far and away the single greatest Canadian athlete), though I can't really blame the malfunction on the fact that there were too many cooks spoiling the broth. :)

Has any host flag bearer gone on to the light the flame? I still think Hoy is the best choice and suspect he'll at least be involved in the final stages.

Has any host flag bearer gone on to the light the flame? I still think Hoy is the best choice and suspect he'll at least be involved in the final stages.

Never. But why? There are casts of thousands. Spread out the chores.

Seriously?

I can actually see some merit to that choice, but I think it will be Redgrave.

Gah, I hope not. From what I can remember, he lacks charisma and a personality...

Derek Redmond would be a fantastic choice, I never thought about him, but now that he has been mentioned... wow, yes. Fantastic!

Oh sure, give Derek Redomond the torch, have him get half-way to the cauldron and pull up lame. Then have his Dad help him the rest of the way. Or would that be too hokey?

Side note - in the stuffed-shirt world of the IOC, what Jim Redmond did was illegal and disqualified his son. VISA (and every person with a heart) may beleive that, "he and his father finished dead last, but he and his father finished." But the IOC does not.

Oh sure, give Derek Redomond the torch, have him get half-way to the cauldron and pull up lame. Then have his Dad help him the rest of the way. Or would that be too hokey?

Side note - in the stuffed-shirt world of the IOC, what Jim Redmond did was illegal and disqualified his son. VISA (and every person with a heart) may beleive that, "he and his father finished dead last, but he and his father finished." But the IOC does not.

Oh, that one. Well, it would have a parallel with Pietro Dorando who was also helped across the Marathon line in London 1908. But this would set off a bad example of people crossing the track 2 help the limpers. Not a good idea.

Gah, I hope not. From what I can remember, he lacks charisma and a personality...

Derek Redmond would be a fantastic choice, I never thought about him, but now that he has been mentioned... wow, yes. Fantastic!

How much personality do you need to hold up a torch?

I always thought he seemed articulate and congenial.

And who really cares what the IOC thinks at that point?

Queen Elizabeth, Prince William or Harry-Unlikely because the organizers might want stay away from political figures(Although the crown Prince of Norway light the Lillehammer cauldron in 1994)

Mohammed Ali-Possible but unlikely. Already lit the flame in Atlanta. The Olympics are in Britain, it would make sense to have someone British to do it..

I think it may be Dayley Thompson or Redgrave but there was a mention that they might use five torchbearers to light the flame. Maybe both of them as well as some surprise guest stars.

"wow" is exactly what they are going for and they aren't going to get "wow" from redgrave or thompson.

Archived