Cauldron Lighter Prediction Market

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Daley Thompson is actually doing an excellent job of making me want anyone but him to light the cauldron. Great that he got his two golds, but he really has no right to disparage Redgrave and his accomplishments. Frankly, I'll take Eddie the Eagle before Thompson after his remarks. Just not done, to use a British term.

Why is Bradley Wiggins not being discussed as a possible cauldron lighter?

Chris Hoy has said that Wiggins' inevitable victory in the Tour de France would be "the greatest achievement by any British sportsperson ever." One is hard-pressed to disagree.

I understand the desire to honor a hero of the past, like Redgrave or Thompson, but I also think it would be consistent with the attitude and philosophy of the organizers to choose Wiggins, because he can represent the present and the future of British sport, instead of just the past.

Daley Thompson is actually doing an excellent job of making me want anyone but him to light the cauldron. Great that he got his two golds, but he really has no right to disparage Redgrave and his accomplishments. Frankly, I'll take Eddie the Eagle before Thompson after his remarks. Just not done, to use a British term.

Absolutely agree - though I do wonder if it might have been a bit tongue in cheek. If it wasn't for his mate Seb running things though I don't think Daley Thompson would even be in the running - even if you dismissed every other sport there are numerous track and field athletes who I'd have light it before him.

Chris Hoy has said that Wiggins' inevitable victory in the Tour de France would be "the greatest achievement by any British sportsperson ever." One is hard-pressed to disagree.

I understand the desire to honor a hero of the past, like Redgrave or Thompson, but I also think it would be consistent with the attitude and philosophy of the organizers to choose Wiggins, because he can represent the present and the future of British sport, instead of just the past.

Interesting call - he's very much the forgotten Olympian with his three golds and allegedly didn't like being overshadowed by Hoy in 2008. Only issue though is his sideburns might be highly flamable!

P.S. I hadn't realised until I read it today that Hoy could surpass Redgrave in these games if he wins both events, taking his total to six golds. Indeed I think one gold and any other medal would make him more successful.

You shouldn't be honored for what you might do, but for what you have done. A gold medalist in 5 different Olympics deserves the top honor. Someone with no medals (Wiggins, Beckham), but success in non-Olympic competition doesn't fit the bill.

It would be as if NYC had Derek Jeter light the cauldron. It doesn't fit.

You shouldn't be honored for what you might do, but for what you have done. A gold medalist in 5 different Olympics deserves the top honor. Someone with no medals (Wiggins, Beckham), but success in non-Olympic competition doesn't fit the bill.

Wiggins has won exactly the same number of Olympic medals as Redgrave - six. He only has two fewer golds.

I tend to agree in principle that accomplishments are more important than potential - and Olympic accomplishments are more important than non-Olympic - but not all organizing committees have agreed.

For example, Freeman was chosen in 2000 on the basis of her potential (and multiracial symbolism), not her accomplishments. For another example, Ali was chosen in 1996 because of his all-around achievements - it wasn't just because he won a single gold medal at the start of his career.

The more I think about it, the more Wiggins as cauldron lighter makes sense. It would be just like LOCOG to pull a last-minute surprise.

It would be as if NYC had Derek Jeter light the cauldron. It doesn't fit.

Tell that to Sydney and the choice of having Cathy Freeman light the cauldron. She had only the silver from Atlanta to her credit at that point. Then again, I don't think ANYONE wanted to see Dawn Frasier in a skintight suit at that point in her life.

How it is lit could determine the choice too - though of the obvious contenders I think anything rather adventurous would only rule out Roger Bannister, who I'd rule out anyway. The games are about "Inspiring a Generation", so they'll want someone who does just that - and although Redgrave is no longer competing and hasn't for 12 years his Olympic legacy is still very much present. But if he's scared of heights or something - or even fire - he might rule himself out.

I agree. I think Wiggins' stock as the final lighter just suddenly shot up. If it were up to me, I would pick the latest hot British sports celebrity (who also accomplished quite a feat by being the first UK man to win a prestigious global event like the Tour de France), rather than some rower whose accomplishments were a few Games ago. Or why couldn't both men light it?

Tell that to Sydney and the choice of having Cathy Freeman light the cauldron. She had only the silver from Atlanta to her credit at that point. Then again, I don't think ANYONE wanted to see Dawn Frasier in a skintight suit at that point in her life.

Cathy was a silver medalist and a favorite for gold in 2000. Her aboriginal heritage was a huge difference maker as well.

I sincerely apologize for my post about Wiggins. Obviously my ignorance about his accomplishments is showing. I misunderstood someone else's post and didn't research his Olympic career before posting. It sounds like there's a legitimate case to be made for Wiggins, though my vote would still go to Redgrave.

I'm mainly unexcited about a non-Olympian or first-time Olympian lighting the cauldron.

I highly doubt that Bradley Wiggins will be the final torchbearer or even take part in the opening ceremony. It's because the men's road race takes place already at 10 a.m. on the next morning.

Good point.

I'd have nothing against Wiggins though, it would be seizing the moment in such a fantastic way by LOCOG if they went for him, ripe from a monumental success never acheived before by a Brit. It'd be of the time, we'd look back on it in 20 years and say, "yes that was 2012, and what a week that was for British sport that wast!".

I would feel a bit bad for Redgrave though.

I highly doubt that Bradley Wiggins will be the final torchbearer or even take part in the opening ceremony. It's because the men's road race takes place already at 10 a.m. on the next morning.

They can still shorten the show after the next 2 dress rehearsals to accommodate Wiggins. Of course, ti would be a final slap at the Les Bleus. Besides, like Lance Armstrong before, the Tour de France winner rarely makes a dent in the Olympic races in the same year. He is already so spent after racing what? 20 days? I say it's Wiggins.

And if they're going with 5, then it'll be an int'l cast. I believe Mark Spitz is there; Nadia Comenci is already re there; Oscar Pistorius; another woman & then a Winter athlete as well.

They can still shorten the show after the next 2 dress rehearsals to accommodate Wiggins. Of course, ti would be a final slap at the Les Bleus. Besides, like Lance Armstrong before, the Tour de France winner rarely makes a dent in the Olympic races in the same year.

Wiggins will be helping Cavendish try to win the road race this year - he won't be going for Gold himself. Cavendish was part of the team that helped Wiggins win the TdF and Wiggins will try to repay that favour next week as part of the GB road race team.

But - don't forget - Wiggins was part of Team GB's remarkable success in the velodrome in Beijing 2008. He's switched to the road and won the TdF just four years later and a week before his home Olympics. Really, it's hard to see how he would'nt be worthy of lighting the cauldron given his record as part of the most dominant British team in any sport at recent Olympics, and also as the winner of the toughest challenge in his sport.

And no cyclist has been honored to Light the flame before--archer, basketball, boxers, runners, gymnast, sailor, decathlete, etc., but NO cyclist yet. So Wiggins is a strong bet. Let's see what the bookies say in a few days.

They may yet reinstitute the bike-BMX portion now!! Cut the NHS portion instead.

Wiggins doesn't even feature in the latest betting on Skybet, but another cyclist does:

Sir Steve Redgrave 4/6

Dame Kelly Holmes 2

Daley Thompson 4

Tom Daley 8

David Beckham 16

Sir Chris Hoy 50

Personally, the only person I can see doing it other than Redgrave is Tom Daley, because of the youth emphasis of the bid already cited.

Wiggins doesn't even feature in the latest betting on Skybet, but another cyclist does:

Sir Steve Redgrave 4/6

Dame Kelly Holmes 2

Daley Thompson 4

Tom Daley 8

David Beckham 16

Sir Chris Hoy 50

Personally, the only person I can see doing it other than Redgrave is Tom Daley, because of the youth emphasis of the bid already cited.

Yeah, but that's before Wiggins made his mark. Give it a few days to percolate.

That's true - and if they were to acknowledge is TDF victory I think it might be better as the first torch bearer in the stadium rather than the last anyway. However it won't happen as he's in action the following morning and clearly the professional, and will put his team before any own individual honour.

If Rebecca Adlington wan't competing the next day I'd choose her personally, but I'm leaning towards Chris Hoy now. I would rather it be a current member of the team than a legend of the past and he clearly has enough Olympic pedigree of his own to deserve the honour. Can't believe he's only at 50/1 and his chances seem to have been somewhat dismissed, but a few days out he is such the obvious choice I don't understand why he's not being talked about.

For the final six I'd choose:

Sir Steve Redgrave (bringing in the torch, instantly dismissing the theory he's lighting it!)

Sir Matthew Pinsent (he has to be involved too)

Amy Williams - most recent British Olympic champion, representing the Winter Games

Derek Redmond - not a medalist but a worthy choice to represent athletics and a reminder that the Olympics isn't all about the gold.

Dame Kelly Holmes - one of our most successful female Olympians, and a current ambassador for athletics, not a relic from the past like Daley Thompson

Sir Chris Hoy - triple Olympic champion in 2008, the first Brit to do so in 100 years. Has four Olympic golds to his name and a realistic chance of making that six in these games. Represents both past glories and current expectations, and also a nod to the work cycling has done over the last 15 years or so to become our most successful Olympic sport.

I just checked those odds five minutes ago, Baron. If the bookies thought Wiggo was in the running, with the impact his exploits have had on this country in the past few days, he would be in the market by now.

I know that. But what I'm saying is that it'll take a little more time before his name gets into the hopper. Watch the odds in a few more days.

Archived