Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Cauldron Lighter Prediction Market

I must admit I am starting to believe that they will have 2 lighters of the cauldron. I think they will go with Steve Redgrave and Tom Daley, respresenting the past and present.

Or could it even be 3, paying tribute to the third London Olympiad?

To me...

The time honoured Olympic traditional logic says Redgrave. A symbol of endurance, performance and success.

The celebrity obsessed guess says Beckham. Britain's most famous celebrity athlete.

And the 'appeal to youth' logic says Tom Daley. The photogenic wonderkid with the story and the smile.

Personally, I like it better when only one person. It becomes more of an honour.

LOS ANGELES -- David Beckham doesn't believe he is the right person to light the flame in the opening ceremony of his hometown London Olympics.

"Lighting the torch in the stadium is something that should be done by an Olympian, an Olympian that has done incredible things for our country and has won gold medals," Beckham said at Los Angeles Galaxy training.

http://www.sacbee.co...ould-light.html

Edited by RobH

LOS ANGELES -- David Beckham doesn't believe he is the right person to light the flame in the opening ceremony of his hometown London Olympics.

"Lighting the torch in the stadium is something that should be done by an Olympian, an Olympian that has done incredible things for our country and has won gold medals," Beckham said at Los Angeles Galaxy training.

http://www.sacbee.co...ould-light.html

Good for him. I think he's right.

IF they went with multiple lighters Bannister/Redgrave/Daley would be a neat trio.

I dont see Daley doing it alone.

Given the options, I'd still pick Redgrave. Very deserving and young enough that we don't have to worry about his physical qualifications. That is an issue with Bannister -- especially if LOCOG goes for something out of the box and semi-demanding.

I must admit I am starting to believe that they will have 2 lighters of the cauldron. I think they will go with Steve Redgrave and Tom Daley, respresenting the past and present.

I do think though having multiple lighters somewhat devalues the honour and takes a bit from the moment. It's a nice idea but for me (and indeed them) Vancouver didn't work with 4 lighting it (although Salt Lake City did, though that was technically one!) If we did have two though it should be Redgrave and Pinsent as they really are the pinacle Olympic pair and thanks to Steve getting 5 Matthew Pinsent getting 4 consecutive gold medals is somewhat overlooked. I wouldn't rule out Kelly Holmes either - I'd say she's more likely than Daley Thompson actually.

I'd quite like to see the Winter games represented in the final torchbearers (but not the final lighter) - either with Torvill and Dean or going for present, Amy Williams (our most recent Olympic Champion) being involved in the final stages.

This was Ladbrokes, albeit three weeks ago:

To Light the Olympic flame

• Sir Steve Redgrave 1/2
  • David Beckham 5/1
  • Dame Kelly Holmes 14/1
  • Tom Daley 14/1
  • Daley Thompson 16/1
  • Sir Chris Hoy 16/1
  • The Reigning Monarch - The Queen 25/1
  • Prince William 25/1
  • Mayor of London - Boris Johnson 33/1

I don't understand the appeal of Tom Daley over any other young Olympian on the team.

I understand it. He's better known and has a shot at upsetting the Chinese. However, I don't personally like the idea at all. It should be someone who has earned the honor. Really should be Redgrave.

• Mayor of London - Boris Johnson 33/1

Haha that would be fantastic!! You can just imagine him making one of his jokes as he takes hold of the torch, stumbles, then tries to light the darn thing.

Seriously though, I can't imagine it being anyone other than Redgrave, Daley Thompson or Tom Daley. Redgrave and Thompson for their achievements in past Games, Daley as the up-and-coming hopeful.

Tom Daley is clearly the Cathy Freeman and Ian Thorpe of London 2012 as far as pre-games marketing is concerned. And London 2012 has been very youth-oriented all the way through.

Maybe it should be Daley Thompson and Tom Daley together, just to confuse some international commentators as they announce their names :P

I'm not so sure about Daley Thompson now he's been revealed as one of the torch bearers in the week leading up to the games - a bit too close IMO compared to Redgrave who carried it a couple of weeks ago.

Also although he was an outstanding athlete in his time I don't think he's created a legacy in the sport the same way Redgrave and Pinsent did with rowing and that cycling has just breeded success as a result of success - plus it would be a bit too much of a job for a mate from Lord Coe.

Allegedly, it's down to Steve Redgrave or Daley Thompson. But rumours should always taken with a pinch of salt, I guess...

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/blog=olympic-talk/post/flame-watch-who-will-light-the-cauldron-steve-redgrave-daley-thompson-david-beckham-roger-bannister-london-olympics-2012.html

I would go with Redgrave over Thompson, but either is a worthy choice. I like Kelly Holmes a lot, but I think the competition is too stiff.

ATR goes with Roger Bannister

http://aroundthering...w.aspx?id=40638

I was thinking either Bannister or Redgrave.

But the news tonight in New Zealand was talking about Daley Thompson being the big mover with the bookies lately.

All will be revealed soon though :)

Edited by micheal_warren

As much as I love the Roger Bannister story, he is 83.

Watching him on the torch run he did have, I just don't think he's up for it.

I just don't think Daley Thompson has made the same kind of impact in his sport as Steve Redgrave has, although I'd agree he's very much an unsung hero of athletics. Any athlete though to me is a bit too close to Seb Coe - I'd like it to be someone who it doesn't look like Seb Coe is letting do it as a favour.

Sign in to follow this