Also Crossrail will be Completed in 2018-2019. A new Train Service across London.I mentioned that, because that's a major infrastructure project, similar to projects happening in Brazil and New Zealand.Across London, England.

Yes, Crossrail is a mayor infrastructure project in London - and I saw the construction works when I was in London. It is hard to imagine that the first planning started in 1941. Therefore we understand that huge infrastructure changes take some time everywhere in the world.

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius
  • Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The "international" Rio And one of our dangerous neighbors: They are all welcome!

- Did you say fruit, candy or girl?

Subway in Rio with decoration for the World Cup

Putin to visit Brazil for final game of World Cup 2014

At the end of the World Cup 2014 in Brazil, an official handover ceremony will be held to pass the right to hold the next championship to the next hosting country. The World Cup 2018 will be held in Russia. Russian President Putin and representatives of the cities that will host football matches will take part in the ceremony in Brazil.

"President Putin will take part in the ceremony along with the President of Brazil Dilma Rousseff. Ceremonial details of the event are being developed with the Brazilian side. The ceremony will happen either in the box of Maracana stadium, immediately after the finals in Rio de Janeiro, or already in the Russian House, which is also located in Rio," a government source told Izvestia.

http://english.pravda.ru/news/sports/18-06-2014/127827-putin_world_cup_brazil-0/#.U6G7lrEkTZU

Wasn't this the thread for 2014 World Cup?
If the project mentioned in a remark some posts ago was expected to be built in Londrina, Brazil...

Edited by Danny El Tico
Court orders FIFA to implement water breaks

Jun. 20, 2014 4:36 PM EDT

TERESOPOLIS, Brazil (AP) — A Brazilian court on Friday ordered FIFA to introduce mandatory water breaks in World Cup matches when temperatures reach 32 degrees Celsius (89.6 Fahrenheit).

A labor court in the capital of Brasilia issued a temporary injunction saying the breaks are required near the 30th minute of each half so players can get hydrated. FIFA had said it would only implement the breaks when its medical staff considered them necessary.

The court said in a statement that the ruling was made after nearly two hours of failed negotiations involving FIFA and local prosecutors in an audience on Friday.

Brazil's players' union recently took legal action against FIFA to try to change the start times of more than a third of World Cup matches because of heat and humidity.

Prosecutors wanted the breaks to be implemented when the temperature reached 30 degrees Celsius (86 Fahrenheit), but the judge said that he would accept FIFA's limit of 32 degrees Celsius (89.6 Fahrenheit) because it wasn't evident that the small difference would "endanger the players' health."

The judge said the injunction was needed because there was nothing assuring that FIFA would enforce its own guidelines.

"I think that obliging FIFA to enforce its own norm is not a measure that jeopardizes the competition," judge Rogerio Neiva Pinheiro said in his ruling.

FIFA said it would "fully respect" the court decision.

"The labor court in Brasilia fully confirmed FIFA's own set of pre-established guidelines for the implementation of cooling breaks during the FIFA World Cup which had already been applied consistently since the opening match," FIFA said in a statement sent to The Associated Press. "FIFA will continuously apply its related guidelines throughout" the tournament.

The judge said FIFA must pay 200,000 reals (about $90,000) for each match in which the ruling isn't enforced.

It also said the governing body is responsible for registering the temperature during matches by using certified equipment.

Brazil's players' union had demanded FIFA changed kickoff times of all 24 matches that were scheduled for 1 p.m. local time (1600 GMT), saying it wanted to avoid subjecting athletes to the "risks" of playing in "intense heat."

FIFA had said at the time that it would not change the start times, or make the cooling breaks mandatory, because it spent nearly two years analyzing the tournament's schedule and always took into consideration the players' health.

FIFA last year altered the starting times of seven World Cup matches in the most hot and humid host cities.

Winter is starting in Brazil, but it remains hot and humid in many of the 12 host cities, especially in the northeastern and northern regions.

There was special concern with the jungle city of Manaus, where humidity is expected to significantly affect players' performances. It happened in the England vs. Italy match last week, when players and fans complained of the conditions

AP

FIFA choose Puyol for traditional World Cup final trophy ‘return’ ceremony

FIFA have selected former Barcelona and Spain captain, Carles Puyol, as the representative for his country as reigning champions, in the traditional ‘returning’ of the World Cup trophy, ahead of the final.

Carles-Puyol-FIFA-RFEF-Spain-Barca.jpg

In the events taking place at the Maracana, ahead of the World Cup final, there is the traditional ceremony in which the reigning champions ‘return’ the trophy, before the final takes place on 13th July.

In the 2010 final in Johannesburg, South Africa, it was Fabio Cannavaro who performed this task on behalf of 2006 champions, Italy. This time, the honour goes to Carles Puyol and although chosen directly by FIFA, it is believed that the Spanish Federation, RFEF, were to designate the former Spain and Barcelona as their candidate, anyway.

With FIFA having made their choice, the RFEF are said to be delighted that Puyol has been bestowed the honour, following his marvellous and courageous service to both Spain and Barcelona, over the years.

Suggestions within the Spain camp are that had he been fit and able, manager Vicente Del Bosque would have had no hesitation in including Carles Puyol in his squad for the World Cup finals.

What many believe, including Del Bosque, is that nobody else was able to fill the huge leadership void left by Puyol, who was reportedly invited by the RFEF to head to Coritiba, following the embarrassing 5-1 defeat against Holland, although the Catalan player was unable to travel and had to decline.

http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/113793/fifa-choose-puyol-for-traditional-world-cup-final-trophy-return-ceremony/

World Cup success is confirmed by European Researcher: "better than London 2012"

The French researcher David Ranc, PhD from Cambridge University and professor of ESSCA (Business School of France) pointed out that the World Cup this year as a superior to the 2012 Olympic Games in London event. The article was published in "Free" blog, formed by European academics who study football and interaction with society.

http://copadomundo.uol.com.br/noticias/redacao/2014/07/02/copa-2014-e-melhor-do-que-jogos-olimpicos-de-2012.htm

"It took months, if not years, of negative news about the World Cup 2014. Before the event starts, promised absolute chaos in Brazil.

The stadiums would not be ready in time, and the spectators were to be prevented from traveling to the cities because the infrastructure was not ready or because Brazilians do not cease to protest. Many comments Brazilians classified as lazy, unreliable and not patriotic. And unless I'm mistaken, none of this happened until now", wrote Ranc.

Edited by Danny El Tico
  • Like 1

Poll with foreign media reporters: Brazil hosts the best Cup in history

http://copadomundo.uol.com.br/tabela-da-copa/

A survey by UOL Sport with 117 professionals found with the World this year is the best ever seen by most of them.

The poll of journalists in the first phase and concluded that 38.5% of respondents consider the Brazilian World as the best ever seen. The World Cup 2006 was held in Germany, is currently second in the survey, with 19.7% of responses. It is noteworthy that 16.2% of journalists said they were covering his first competition.
The tournament hosted in South Africa in 2010, ranks third on the list with 5.1%. Have the stage of the Brazilian fourth championship in 1994, the U.S. was the best room in the opinion of the professional world.
  • Like 1

Fifa confirms Shakira and Ivete Sangalo in the closing ceremony of World Cup

http://copadomundo.uol.com.br/noticias/redacao/2014/07/02/fifa-confirma-shakira-e-ivete-sangalo-em-festa-de-encerramento-da-copa.htm

Besides Shakira, the festival will feature Carlos Santana, Ivete Sangalo, Carlinhos Brown and Wyclef Jean. The musical attraction will still have a presentation of the Grande Rio samba school, which ended the 2014 Carnival in sixth place. This is considered a "tribute" to FIFA host city decision.

• Like 1

Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade and considering there's probably some bad Google Translate involved but...

What's the benchmarks for comparing two very different events? Or is it maybe not some further exchange in ehat I recently called the "Anglo-Brazilian kindergarten tit for tat game"?

World Cup success is confirmed by European Researcher: "better than London 2012"

The French researcher David Ranc, PhD from Cambridge University and professor of ESSCA (Business School of France) pointed out that the World Cup this year as a superior to the 2012 Olympic Games in London event. The article was published in "Free" blog, formed by European academics who study football and interaction with society.

http://copadomundo.uol.com.br/noticias/redacao/2014/07/02/copa-2014-e-melhor-do-que-jogos-olimpicos-de-2012.htm

And again...criteria? Hosting? Level pf play? Besides, how can these16.2% come to a decision in a poll while admitting at the same time it's the first WC they attended?

A survey by UOL Sport with 117 professionals found with the World this year is the best ever seen by most of them.

The poll of journalists in the first phase and concluded that 38.5% of respondents consider the Brazilian World as the best ever seen. The World Cup 2006 was held in Germany, is currently second in the survey, with 19.7% of responses. It is noteworthy that 16.2% of journalists said they were covering his first competition.

The tournament hosted in South Africa in 2010, ranks third on the list with 5.1%. Have the stage of the Brazilian fourth championship in 1994, the U.S. was the best room in the opinion of the professional world.

Oops, I put my comments into Danny's posts, sorry, can't repair now...

Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade and considering there's probably some bad Google Translate involved but...

What's the benchmarks for comparing two very different events? Or is it maybe not some further exchange in ehat I recently called the "Anglo-Brazilian kindergarten tit for tat game"?

And again...criteria? Hosting? Level pf play? Besides, how can these16.2% come to a decision in a poll while admitting at the same time it's the first WC they attended?

This whole "Best WC or Olympics ever" talk is bullshit for me.

Every WC or Olympics have their own special feelings and atmosphere you cannot copare to each other.

No one can judge this from a objective point of view. For me the 2006 WC and the 2012 Games are the best, cause that

are the only ones I attend.

Maybe the 1950 WC in Brazil is the best WC ever, but no one here can judge this, cause no one here and no one

of the media had been there.

In the end the only thing that matters is that the people of the host country are satisfied and ,in the best way, proud of what their country achieved.

For most of them, their home WC will be the best ever.

So this is not a point to argue about. ;)

Btw. What is the great deal with Shakira? Everytime her.

I wouldn´t have be surprised if she have sung the official song with Pitbull instead of JLo

• Like 1

This whole "Best WC or Olympics ever" talk is bullshit for me.

Every WC or Olympics have their own special feelings and atmosphere you cannot copare to each other.

No one can judge this from a objective point of view. For me the 2006 WC and the 2012 Games are the best, cause that

are the only ones I attend.

Maybe the 1950 WC in Brazil is the best WC ever, but no one here can judge this, cause no one here and no one

of the media had been there.

In the end the only thing that matters is that the people of the host country are satisfied and ,in the best way, proud of what their country achieved.t o

For most of them, their home WC will be the best ever.

So this is not a point to argue about. ;)

Btw. What is the great deal with Shakira? Everytime her.

I wouldn´t have be surprised if she have sung the official song with Pitbull instead of JLo

Well, at least one thing you guys have to admit.... if now you are saying that there's no way one can evaluate wich was the best WC, wich means 2014 can be compared to the others, one month ago almost everybody here was pointing out how it would be a huge failure. I think that's the main point, even for Danny. It isn't the title of best whatever (despite of the fact that almost every journalist and people that attend frequently WC are saying this, but well, you would never admit it, isn't it?).

• Like 2

The point, instead, is to show the gap between reality and perception. Whenever an event is organised in a Southern country, the discourse, and the memory, is of potential fiascos, that have usually not materialised. Whenever an event is organised in a Northern country, the discourse, and the memory, is of success, even when there were actual fiascos.

Following Edward Said, we can call this ‘orientalisation’, and say that in a world where the East/West divide was replaced in the 1990s by a North-South divide, this is the result of a distorted view that the Western/Northern media have of the Orient/South.

Let’s say things much more clearly: this is a xenophobic, or even racist, discourse.

source: http://www.free-project.eu/Blog/post/the-world-cup-2014-in-brazil-better-organised-than-the-olympics-in-london-2012-1928.htm

It's useless to argue on what oranges are better than which apples. But this conclusion on David Ranc text sums up what is frequently being said everywhere for years: some people insist on obsolete discourses - I've lost the count on how many times the archaic term third world is used here - because they refuse to adapt old perspectives to actual evidence.

• Like 2

Well, at least one thing you guys have to admit.... if now you are saying that there's no way one can evaluate wich was the best WC, wich means 2014 can be compared to the others, one month ago almost everybody here was pointing out how it would be a huge failure. I think that's the main point, even for Danny. It isn't the title of best whatever (despite of the fact that almost every journalist and people that attend frequently WC are saying this, but well, you would never admit it, isn't it?).

No I don´t have to admit that, cause for me there was no doubt that this WC will be a huge success. I never wrote that Brazil will fail.

And they won´t fail with Rio 2016. Will be a huge success too.

The media always write the same ****. From Athens,Torino,Germany,Beijing,South Africa, Poland&Ukraine,London to Brazil. It was always the same what they wrote.

• Like 1

The media will always build their stories, but it's the people's will to buy them that marks the difference. You see, many, MANY people, assume the conclusion that an event in Brazil could never be as good as or even better than an event in Britain or whichever Western European nation we name.

It's terrible that this fun World Cup can't be watched just as the sports party it is because in the closed minds of many the only thing a nation like Brazil can deliver is 'not-that-bad events', never 'good events', let alone 'best ever events'. We are already reading the narratives reflecting this.

When did Brazillians become so paranoid? I've seen hundreds of comments on games in Brazil, online, in the media, wherever. And literally the only person I remember saying anything negative about Brazil/Brazillians in General was the mayor of Rio.

Urrghhhh. There's been accurate and inaccurate reporting about Brazil 2014, and this is true of any and every international sporting event. But the fact is, you were still building stadiums with weeks to go so you opened yourselves up to criticism. When the FIFA Vice-President is telling you to get a move on, is the press meant to ignore this? Of course, the inaccurate reports will annoy, but it's not like the build up was even close to perfect.

And whilst this tournament has been superb on the pitch, has it really set some kind of new standard for organisation and planning? Will it be a bluieprint for future hosts? This World Cup has been brilliant so far because the football has been completely enthralling and the South American fans have been amazing. The organisation has been good too, but this is despite the unneeded problems in the build up which the press reported on, not because of them.

I'll tell you one thing though. I didn't sit around comparing what the press wrote in the years leading up to London 2012 when the Games were here. I was too busy enjoying them.

Just chill out and enjoy the World Cup guys, it'll be gone before you know it. B)

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 3

When did Brazillians become so paranoid? I've seen hundreds of comments on games in Brazil, online, in the media, wherever. And literally the only person I remember saying anything negative about Brazil/Brazillians in General was the mayor of Rio.

Check this same GamesBids threads archives from 3 or 4 months ago...

There is also a huge list of posts aligning with "IOC is getting what they planted by choosing Rio" in Rio 2016 section...

And even a member said with all words that "never any event held in Brazil would surpass London 2012".

Apart of this, I have nothing to add after brillant posts from other Brazilians here.