2014 World Cup News

Bezzi

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The

Calm down, LDOG, with all this media, there is big chances some of them will be caught up before enter the stadium.
And maybe, they even can behave nice... Who knows?

Interesting article

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2014/06/brazil_s_world_cup_will_this_be_the_last_world_cup_hosted_by_a_democracy.html

Democracy’s Last World Cup?

That article makes a good point (except the scepticism about London's legacy plans: of course they're yet to materialize, it's been 2 years only!!! and i'm not sure but it seems to me the WC stadiums in Korea and Japan are used by local teams aren't they?).

That's what's happening these days: people lilke to watch the World Cup and the Olympics on TV, like to be behind their team, but they don't want to host it because it's too expensive. Then, FIFA or the IOC go to the only countries who want to host: dictatures, and people from democracies complain the games or the world cup go to autoritarian countries. That's an endless circle.

FIFA and the IOC need to wake up and realize they have to clean their image.

The most interesting point raised is the thing about people 'watching on TV but not wanting to host': If, to the overwhelming majority, the tournament location is irrelevant, why the need for such rigid regulations? If that's the case, why not have 6 countries in close proximity with 2 stadiums each, or 4 with 3 each? 2 new, world class stadiums in a country like, say, Bosnia cohosting with 5 other Balkan area countries, would to far more good for Bosnia than 12 world class new stadiums are doing for Brazil. It would spread the glory around - & the cost. That's why I hope Euro 2020 works out, it could be a real positive gamechanger in mega-events.

FIFA warns of fake tickets being circulated

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — FIFA said Friday that it rejected about 50 fake tickets for the opening World Cup match in Sao Paulo between host Brazil and Croatia.

FIFA marketing director Thierry Weil said the tickets for Thursday's game were "an example of real professional fakes, not the poor imitations made in a copying machine."

And he's guessing there are more.

"Even for us, it's extremely complicated to see if it's a fake ticket or a real ticket," Weil said. "We need to communicate to the fans that there are tickets going around that are fake tickets that are extremely difficult if not impossible to recognize."

Weil held up a ticket that looked identical to an authentic ticket. He said it might even include the electronic chip — although a chip that would not work and would be detected when it was scanned entering the stadium.

He said some matches might be targeted more than others by counterfeiters, but did not say which matches they might be.

"You have no pleasant time when you have a family — father, mother and three kids coming — and you have to reject them. But we have to because they are fakes."

He said those detected on Thursday must be the tip of the iceberg.

"Based on the quality of how they are done, there must be far more tickets in circulation than only those 50."

AP

It's always sad when this sort of thing happens...Makes it worse because even though technology improves, it's overrided by the fraudsters almost instantly. :(

(except the scepticism about London's legacy plans: of course they're yet to materialize, it's been 2 years only!!! and i'm not sure but it seems to me the WC stadiums in Korea and Japan are used by local teams aren't they?).

No matter the country, the media is always skeptical...

I felt the Arena Das Dunas's Pitch in Natal dealt well with the rain yesterday. Hopefully, the Pitch is ok in Manaus for ENGLAND VS Italy.

At the Arena Amazonia.

I felt the Arena Das Dunas's Pitch in Natal dealt well with the rain yesterday. Hopefully, the Pitch is ok in Manaus for ENGLAND VS Italy.

At the Arena Amazonia.

All stadiums looking great on TV broadcast.

I hope international media (and you that think media is always right) learn something about Brazil and other hosts dealing with the challenge of hosting big events. We delivered 12 nice stadiums.

Two days already and no incident in the World Cup.

More respect with us next time.

cristo_redentor_statue_christ_riodejanei

BTW, South Africa World Cup had 5 goals in 4 matches. It's already 14 goals in 4 matches in Brazil.

The supporters in stadiums have been crazy!!! What Mexico and Chilean supporters did in stadiums yesterday was real atmosphere!!!

That's real football! Not those boring vuvuzelas blowing all the time.

PS: Brazilians and Dutch also made a nice party in Salvador. With HDTV, and today's technology, this World Cup makes us feel like we are there. Amazing!

The World Sport!
Almost 3.3 billion people watched the opening match of the World Cup!

article-0-1EB8A53B00000578-490_970x770.j

Paraguay

article-0-1EB8A21000000578-365_968x653.j

Syria

article-0-1EB8F2D900000578-770_968x626.j

Somalia

article-2657050-1EB92C8400000578-580_968

Lebanon

article-2657050-1EB8A62E00000578-20_968x

Germany

article-2657050-1EB8936800000578-935_968

Kenya

article-2657050-1EB7B94F00000578-305_968

Malaysia

article-2657050-1EB7ACA400000578-438_968

United Arab Emirates

article-2657050-1EB798B500000578-15_968x

Brazil

article-0-1EB7905100000578-580_968x626.j

The World Sport!

Almost 3.3 billion people watched the opening match of the World Cup!

United Arab Emirates

article-2657050-1EB798B500000578-15_968x

Strange people. Why they didn't turn the sofa to the TV? :blink:

HD already arrived in Somalia and FIFA worried about people watching in black and white.

FIFA is ridiculous.

Olympics Boxe have red and blue athletes that will look the same in black white TVs and nobody complains about that.

Beckenbauer skips World Cup after ban

German football legend Franz Beckenbauer is cancelling his trip to the World Cup in Brazil in the light of FIFA suspending him for 90 days over the investigation into the Qatar 2022 World Cup bid, he told the German media on Saturday.

The 68-year-old, who won the World Cup both as a player and as a coach in 1974 and 1990 respectively, told daily newspaper Bild he did not feel he would be made welcome after FIFA announced he had been suspended because he refused to speak to investigators looking into allegations that Qatar paid bribes to secure votes for its 2022 World Cup bid.

"I won't be going to Brazil," said Beckenbauer, whose sole title these days is honorary president of Bayern Munich.

"I am basing that decision on the fact I will not be welcomed by FIFA."

http://www.thelocal.de/20140614/beckenbauer-skips-world-cup-after-ban

Maracanã subway station.

For those who have no idea about Brazil. Maracanã have 4 subway stations around the stadium... And among them, the main station: Maracanã.

Problemas-em-torno-do-Maracana-5.jpg

Problemas-em-torno-do-Maracana-6.jpg

Problemas-em-torno-do-Maracana-8.jpg

External works being finalized

Problemas-em-torno-do-Maracana-4.jpg

Subway in Sao Paulo Coca-Cola ads...

10374492_804091886275614_231638146239555

And suddenly, for the surprise of International media, our airports are working fine, there are subways/metro/trains in a good number of cities, no big bad news on organization... What the hell????

14412684172_d2e0cda8ae_b.jpg

Where are the dangerous subways of Brazil?

14227379580_fdf65c40a1_b.jpg

The packed and aging Brazilian Airports?

MG_8545.jpg

5A6tU3s.jpg

Stadiums that wouldn't be ready in time?

7992050_OgJJIFJlOhWNoqtz-UdK31u3x771bhFt

2369315_big-lnd.jpg

What to say about the protests?

QfSfznI.jpg

citg23D.jpg

cP6JSe4.jpg

Suddenly, everything is working in Hell-like Brazil... How can be?

And suddenly, for the surprise of International media, our airports are working fine, there are subways/metro/trains in a good number of cities, no big bad news on organization... What the hell????

14412684172_d2e0cda8ae_b.jpg

Where are the dangerous subways of Brazil?

14227379580_fdf65c40a1_b.jpg

The packed and aging Brazilian Airports?

MG_8545.jpg

5A6tU3s.jpg

Stadiums that wouldn't be ready in time?

7992050_OgJJIFJlOhWNoqtz-UdK31u3x771bhFt

2369315_big-lnd.jpg

What to say about the protests?

QfSfznI.jpg

citg23D.jpg

cP6JSe4.jpg

Suddenly, everything is working in Hell-like Brazil... How can be?

And no comments also here... I think some were just waiting June 12th to start posting here everything they could find in the so trustfull intl. media about how the WC was failing...

Chupa mídia internacional!!!!

And so far no match has ended in a draw. The WC has been very entertaining so far. I guess the football quality will make up for the organization issues, even though those seem to have relaxed these days.

The only match I hated was that opening one, and France vs Honduras didn't convinced me much.

Archived