2014 World Cup News

Bezzi

German World Cup base made to measure

The German Football Federation (DFB) is constructing a made-to-measure base camp for the Mannschaft in the Brazilian town of Santo Andre ahead of next year's World Cup, Bild reported on Friday.

The so-called "Camp Bahia", named after the coastal state of the same name, is an enclosed complex comprising 13 houses, a football pitch and a media centre all within a one-kilometre radius.

Joachim Loew's squad will be able to use the airport at Porto Seguro, some 30 kilometres south, for group games in Salvador, Recife and Fortaleza.

Bild said the federation had counted on sponsors for the project, construction of which has been undertaken by a Munich company.

Germany were drawn in Group G alongside Portugal, Ghana and the United States for world football's showcase tournament between June 12-July 13.

http://sport.msn.co.nz/sportnews/soccer/8771023/german-world-cup-base-made-to-measure

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know. most teams will set up camp somewhere and travel back and forth. But that means that my estimates are minimum values. I've calculated venue to venue distances.

Sports Illustrated writer Grant Wahl estimated the distance USA has to cover to be 14268 Km during the group stage. They will set up camp in Sao Paulo and their matches will be in Natal, Manaus and Recife. So that makes three insane trips back and forth. I think the US should reconsider moving their basecamp in a Northern direction :D

Airplane companies can make huge profits during WC.

Italy selects seaside training base for World Cup

ROME (AP) — Italy's training base for the World Cup will be a seaside resort 100 kilometers (62 miles) west of Rio de Janeiro.

The Italian football federation says the Azzurri will stay at the Portobello Resort & Safari in Mangaratiba, where there are also training grounds.

Italy coach Cesare Prandelli preferred the resort two hours from Rio over a city base to avoid wasting time traveling between the team hotel and training base like at this year's Confederations Cup.

Italy will depart for Brazil on June 5.

Drawn into Group D, Italy will face England in Manaus on June 14, Costa Rica in Recife on June 20 and Uruguay in Natal on June 24.

Each of the group matches are more than 2,000 kilometers (1,000 miles) away from the training base.

AP

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Italy-selects-seaside-training-base-for-World-Cup-5062022.php

I know. most teams will set up camp somewhere and travel back and forth. But that means that my estimates are minimum values. I've calculated venue to venue distances.

Sports Illustrated writer Grant Wahl estimated the distance USA has to cover to be 14268 Km during the group stage. They will set up camp in Sao Paulo and their matches will be in Natal, Manaus and Recife. So that makes three insane trips back and forth. I think the US should reconsider moving their basecamp in a Northern direction :D

It's not confirmed yet, but USA should stay in Natal.

Yeah, Russia 2018 will be ridiculous, distance-wise. But that will be compensated in 2022, when the players can crawl from one venue to the other :)

Russia is much larger than Brazil, but here the host cities are more spread through the territory, so I think the distances in Brazil will be greater.

Yes my Country England will be staying in Rio de Janeiro and Travelling isn't too bad with the exception of Manaus but they will have a beautiful Stadium but Sao Paulo and Belo Horizonte is near by so not too bad could be worse.

It's true, in Russia only a relatively small part of the territory is used. I almost wish that Siberia was also included.

Okay, they don´t play in Kalinigrad and Vladivostok, or whatever. Still the distances are pretty much the same or bigger than in 2014. Kalinigrad-Sochi: 1880Km, Kalinigrad-Yekaterineburg 2487 Km. St. Petersburg-Volgograd: 1535 Km. Still a lot of traveling..

Yes my Country England will be staying in Rio de Janeiro and Travelling isn't too bad with the exception of Manaus but they will have a beautiful Stadium but Sao Paulo and Belo Horizonte is near by so not too bad could be worse.

Are you really english? You write Some Words in Capital Letters as if you were using a translator. Like me :D

Are you really english? You write Some Words in Capital Letters as if you were using a translator. Like me :D

It's Habit but yes I am English My Parents are English and so are my Siblings.

Blatter: Spray to mark free kicks at World Cup

460x.jpg

MARRAKECH, Morocco (AP) — FIFA President Sepp Blatter says vanishing spray will be used to mark distances for free kicks at the World Cup in Brazil.

The spray, which was developed in Argentina and Brazil, is currently used at the Club World Cup in Morocco. The referee uses the spray to mark the line where players can set up their defensive wall before a free kick.

Blatter says "we started using it in all (our) competitions this year and at the World Cup we will definitely keep on the same path."

Blatter says he was "skeptical at first but after talking to referees who used this system, they were all happy with it."

AP

Blatter: Spray to mark free kicks at World Cup

460x.jpg

MARRAKECH, Morocco (AP) — FIFA President Sepp Blatter says vanishing spray will be used to mark distances for free kicks at the World Cup in Brazil.

The spray, which was developed in Argentina and Brazil, is currently used at the Club World Cup in Morocco. The referee uses the spray to mark the line where players can set up their defensive wall before a free kick.

Blatter says "we started using it in all (our) competitions this year and at the World Cup we will definitely keep on the same path."

Blatter says he was "skeptical at first but after talking to referees who used this system, they were all happy with it."

AP

No Argentina... The spray was developed in Brazil and have been used since the late 90s...

I was wondered why only South America uses the spray. It's so simple and nice.

PS: FIFA is taking this a new thing. I'm used to see this spray since my childhood...

• 2 weeks later...

One day I hope to see instant replay(video judge?)to judge whether it's off-side or on-side.Some lazy linesman never run fast.I think I've seen some absurd goals.

Well, for the First World Cup the Goal Line Technology is being used, so we are slowly making progress. Hopefully, by time the 2018 Fifa World Cup comes around, we will have used Technology for Offsides, Dives, Penalties, Free Kicks, Corners and Throw Ins.

I think there's no need any technology for penalty(PK or the player's deed for penalty?),free kicks,corner kicks and throw ins. :rolleyes: For "diving" I'm neutral.

The technology (i.e. TV cameras etc) is already there, it just has to be used.

While most other sports have gone through drastic changes to adapt to modern times, some of these changes being rather questionable IMHO, FIFA still pretends to lve in the 19th century, but earns good 21st century money with it.

Archived