2014 World Cup News

Bezzi

Brazil presented 17 venues for FIFA to choose. This is a FIFA task. FIFA itself assumed that mistake when they announced Russia host cities in advance. Don't talk what you don't know.

FIFA's task is to approve the choice of host cities but not necessarily to choose them. Germany and South Africa didn't leave the task for FIFA, their OC's just picked the cities and were then given the seal of approval. Another thing is the amount of cities, 12, when FIFA recommended only 9 or 10. That's just asking for trouble as more cities means more risks especially in a place like Brazil. Even then, five years shoud have been enough to build the stadiums on time. You can talk all you want about laws and such but for me this just bad organisation. Good luck though, hopefully everything goes well.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FIFA's task is to approve the choice of host cities but not necessarily to choose them. Germany and South Africa didn't leave the task for FIFA, their OC's just picked the cities and were then given the seal of approval. Another thing is the amount of cities, 12, when FIFA recommended only 9 or 10. That's just asking for trouble as more cities means more risks especially in a place like Brazil. Even then, five years shoud have been enough to build the stadiums on time. You can talk all you want about laws and such but for me this just bad organisation. Good luck though, hopefully everything goes well.

What a stupid comment, sorry on saying that...

If you don't want to understand what happened and your opinion prevail over the facts, so why discuss?

Just save your opinion for yourself and done.

PS: How many links do I need to post here to show you FIFA was up to CHOOSE THE BID CITIES, and they did only in May 2009, leaving 3.5 years (not 5 years) to Stadiums to be complete!?

The selection of the 12 host cities for the 2014 FIFA World Cup will be made at the FIFA Executive Committee meeting taking place at the end of May

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1037180/index.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8075256.stm

Football's ruling body, Fifa, has selected 12 Brazilian cities to host matches at the 2014 World Cup finals.

the FIFA Executive Committee, chaired by FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter, confirmed the 12 Host Cities for the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™,

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/organisation/bodies/news/newsid=1064818/
Sunday 31 May 2009

http://veja.abril.com.br/idade/exclusivo/perguntas_respostas/cidades-copa-2014/cidades-sede-copa-2014-estadios-capitais-fifa-cbf-abertura-final.shtml

According to Jérome Valcke, secretary-general of FIFA, the choice followed technical criteria, based on visits made by FIFA staff.

Don't be stubborn.

Thank you, Danny.

Brazil v. USA. USA wins 8 - 2!!

Seriously, I think it will be a Brazil - Spain final..but that should be another thread.

Some 8-2 result is too optimistic, but, USA team is very respectable. Last time we face you guys in a official match, it was hard 3-2 turnover for Brazil. You guys almost won 2010 Confederations Cup...

My prediction is a Brazil - Germany in the final match

May 2009 - December 2013 is just over 4.5 years. 4.5 years seems like enough time. Some cities were certainties even before FIFA's announcement, including Sao Paulo which is one of the slower stadiums to be completed.

Athensfan, you're right about time span, it was 4.5 years.

I'm not using this as excuse, but, it would be better if Fifa had chosen the host cities before...

About cities that were certainties, no city could habe started the projects without the allowance of Fifa, because the special financing was only for official host cities... You guys can continue to cast your angry opinions about delays in Brazil, but you can't change our laws.

No government financing can be done before a city is elected officially for an event. Over.

And the case of Sao Paulo was a shame from the beginning with all the mess about previous stadium, Morumbi, and how the things were done to get Arena Corinthians approved...

Catra complaining in 3... 2... 1...

And Sao Paulo is a different case. It's always difficult with the big lead cities. I mean look at London -- how long it took them to find a tenant for the 2012 Olympic Stadium -- 64 years (they were looking since 1948). And Sao Paulo had to find one in what? 1.5 years. But yes, it's the crush of time that crushes the work equipment on these sites!!

May 2009 - December 2013 is just over 4.5 years. 4.5 years seems like enough time. Some cities were certainties even before FIFA's announcement, including Sao Paulo which is one of the slower stadiums to be completed.

I don't know why this discussion. We have 6 stadiums ready and others are above 90% completion. What FIFA is discussing is when will be the test events. What happened in São Paulo was a fatality, no one could predict. But the international media is using this to write headlines with titles such as "Brazil is chaos waiting Cup"

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20131203/futbol/mundial/brasil-es-un-caos-a-la-espera-del-mundial-2014_54395125388.html

Don't believe everything you read. specially if comes from the envious spanish

I don't know why this discussion. We have 6 stadiums ready and others are above 90% completion. What FIFA is discussing is when will be the test events. What happened in São Paulo was a fatality, no one could predict. But the international media is using this to write headlines with titles such as "Brazil is chaos waiting Cup"

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20131203/futbol/mundial/brasil-es-un-caos-a-la-espera-del-mundial-2014_54395125388.html

Don't believe everything you read. specially if comes from the envious spanish

They need to show how great are they, the "first world" by detracting the "third world"...

This so 16th Century...

Bezzi is right, at the time of the accident, Sao Paulo was 92% concluded, what are tou guys talking about slower completion???

More stupid speeches...

"We'd rather to play in the Death Group than playing in Manaus"

"Based on what people said to me, Manaus is a city to be avoided"
Roy Hodgson, England team coach

"We'd rather a better and more technical team to play here than England"

"I'm sure the English people is more sensible and polite than Mr. Hodgson. He is among the few not curious to visit the Amazon".

Artur Virgilio, mayor of Manaus

Go England Go!!! To Manaus! :rolleyes:

source: http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/esporte/folhanacopa/2013/12/1381145-tambem-preferimos-que-a-inglaterra-nao-venha-diz-prefeito-de-manaus.shtml

Sepp Blatter: Damaged World Cup stadium ready in mid-April

COSTA DO SAUIPE, Brazil (AP) — The damaged stadium in Sao Paulo won't stage its first match until less than two months before the World Cup is scheduled to open there, FIFA said Thursday.

President Sepp Blatter set a new deadline Thursday, extending uncertainty in the World Cup plans since a fatal construction accident at Arena Corinthians last week.

Blatter told a news conference that "April 14th or 15th" is the expected delivery date.

"For the time being there is no plan B," Blatter said, answering speculation FIFA might seek a replacement stadium or move matches to other cities despite many tickets already being sold.

On June 12, the repaired stadium is due to host the sold-out opening match featuring host nation Brazil, following a lavish opening ceremony watched by some heads of state among the invited guests.

FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke later told reporters the mid-April target was for the first match to test the stadium operations.

AP

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2013/12/05/sao-paulo-damaged-world-cup-stadium/3879815/

More stupid speeches...

"We'd rather to play in the Death Group than playing in Manaus"

"Based on what people said to me, Manaus is a city to be avoided"

Roy Hodgson, England team coach

"We'd rather a better and more technical team to play here than England"

"I'm sure the English people is more sensible and polite than Mr. Hodgson. He is among the few not curious to visit the Amazon".

Artur Virgilio, mayor of Manaus

Go England Go!!! To Manaus! :rolleyes:

source: http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/esporte/folhanacopa/2013/12/1381145-tambem-preferimos-que-a-inglaterra-nao-venha-diz-prefeito-de-manaus.shtml

Poor post Danny. For someone who is so prickly about the media getting things right, I'm really surprised you've decided to take a quote entirely out of context to make it seem like Hodgson was criticising the city itself.... :rolleyes:

Here's the full quote....

"The venues worry me more than the opponents. I think there's definitely going to be climatic conditions which will be problematic for all the teams but not least the northern European sides.

“Manaus I think it would be a difficult venue for everybody – Argentinians, Brazilians, Chileans and Colombians alike - don’t get me wrong, but for northern European players I think it would be a little bit harder.

"The tropical nature of Manaus is the problem. I'm not an expert on the venue but I'm just mouthing what everybody has been saying to me. Manaus is the place ideally to avoid and Porto Alegre is the place ideally to get.

“Whatever happens though, it won’t and can’t be an excuse.”

He was talking purely about the climate compared to other cities, and in particular the high humidity, nothing more sinister than that.

Makes the Mayor's comeback seem rather childish doesn't it? :lol:

PS: How many links do I need to post here to show you FIFA was up to CHOOSE THE BID CITIES, and they did only in May 2009, leaving 3.5 years (not 5 years) to Stadiums to be complete!?

That's because the Brazilians didn't want to make the decision themselves, but rather preferred to push the responsibility to FIFA and still insisted on using 12 stadiums instead of a more manageable number! Are you confusing the official FIFA approval of host cities with the actual choice of them? It's not a standard procedure for FIFA to select the cities, the local organising committee should do that like in Germany and South Africa, who by the way chose the cities a little more than four years before their respective tournaments, so Brazil knew the host cities almost a year earlier than the previous two hosts.

I know you're not a fan of international and British media, but I have an article of a journalist who has lived in Brazil for more than 20 years.

This was announced in March 2003. CONMEBOL, the South American Federation, almost instantly announced that Brazil was its only candidate (Colombia later broke ranks and flirted with a separate bid, but never with real aims of winning). And so when the official announcement of the 2014 hosts was made in October 2007 there was no tension or surprise -- the only name that could come out of the envelope was that of Brazil.

One might have thought, then, that detailed planning might have taken place – that host cities might have been decided, for example. After all, all of the countries bidding for the World Cups of 2018 and 2022 -- when the process once more became competitive -- had the obligation to present their plans to FIFA's Executive Committee. But in Brazil's case nothing had been done.

Brazil had not even chosen its host cities. Worse than that, it would not choose. Seeking to keep things simple, FIFA wanted 8 cities. Brazil successfully lobbied for 12 -- and then handed over to FIFA the responsibility for nominating them. Years and years were thrown away.

Anyone acquainted with Brazil will be aware that all of this has a cost. "A man in a hurry will always be unhappy in Brazil," wrote Peter Fleming some eight decades ago, and much of that remains true today. And the situation was made worse by -- in marked contrast with South Africa -- the lack of government representation on the Local Organising Committee (LOC). In an unprecedented accumulation of powers, the president of the Brazilian football association was also in charge of the LOC.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/worldcupcentral/id/4?cc=5739

Should I also add this piece from another article:

Brazilians are notoriously sensitive about criticism from outsiders.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-radio-and-tv-19705712

If you have some source claiming that FIFA didn't allow Brazil to choose the cities, I'd be interested in seeing them, whether they are Brazilian and in Portuguese or some other language.

Spanish media is the worst in the world, so arrogant, xenophobic and full of ignorance. The whole 2020 bid process showed it.

You mean like this one?

http://www.marca.com/2013/07/01/futbol/copa_confederaciones/espana/1372671000.html

Marca is the worst of them all, I'll always remember a headline before match vs France in 2006 which said "vamos a jubilar a Zidane!" ("We're going to retire Zidane!") lol it came back badly.

They always do that kind of stuff, reading news about 2020 bid was unbereable, every day an article about how shitty Tokyo and Istanbul were while other newspapers like El mundo assuring they had 40 votes in the bag...

Makes the Mayor's comeback seem rather childish doesn't it? :lol:

Both comments are stupid (In USA 94, everybody played in worse weather conditions and everybody was very Ok about it)... The mayor said more things too... I just picked what is major.

Marca is the worst of them all, I'll always remember a headline before match vs France in 2006 which said "vamos a jubilar a Zidane!" ("We're going to retire Zidane!") lol it came back badly.

They always do that kind of stuff, reading news about 2020 bid was unbereable, every day an article about how shitty Tokyo and Istanbul were while other newspapers like El mundo assuring they had 40 votes in the bag...

European media is disgusting. Arrogance at its most.

Both comments are stupid (In USA 94, everybody played in worse weather conditions and everybody was very Ok about it)

Nope, they weren't "ok" about it. From the SAME interview with Hodgson.

Hodgson has previous experience of trying to combat sweltering conditions when he led Switzerland to the 1994 World Cup in the USA and they had to play their final group game in a Californian heatwave, losing 2-0 to Colombia.

"Our first games were difficult enough in Detroit because it was the indoor arena and that was tough but that game in Palo Alto was particularly hard because we kicked off at 11.30am and the sun was right above our heads. It was something like 40-41C and I've got to say our players struggled more than the Colombians. Everyone found it hard but we really did struggle. So you can't deny that problem [in Manaus] but whatever happens it won't be an excuse."

Hodgson isn't picking on Brazil or Manaus, and he didn't like the hotter cities in USA when he managed Switzerland there either. So he's being entirely consistent.

European media is disgusting. Arrogance at its most.

Don't put them in the same bucket, it is the same as comparing the brazillian media with the argentinian, colombian or venezuellan. Lot's of different cultures in europe. For example the portuguese media is far from arrogant, too much subserviant at times, the french, spanish and french media are quite arrogant, but europe has more that 50 countries, all with their own idionsincracies, so you have to be careful with those broad statements.

Nope, they weren't "ok" about it. From the SAME interview with Hodgson.

Hodgson isn't picking on Brazil or Manaus, and he didn't like the hotter cities in USA when he managed Switzerland there either. So he's being entirely consistent.

Ok, then. :)

Now, let's look forward for the tournament

Don't put them in the same bucket, it is the same as comparing the brazillian media with the argentinian, colombian or venezuellan. Lot's of different cultures in europe. For example the portuguese media is far from arrogant, too much subserviant at times, the french, spanish and french media are quite arrogant, but europe has more that 50 countries, all with their own idionsincracies, so you have to be careful with those broad statements.

I agree with your post from the first to the last word.

When I talk about European media, I'm talking about the 3 or 4 major European conglomerates who gets international attention, not every single newspaper in the old continent.

Second ticket sales phase for Brazil 2014 starts Sunday 8 December 2013

With the group stage matches now defined, ticket sales for the 2014 FIFA World Cup will reopen at 12:00 CET/09:00 Brasilia time on Sunday 8 December 2013. Applications can be made on the FIFA ticketing website until 12:00 CET on 30 January 2014. For almost two months, fans will have the chance to apply for tickets for 62 out of the 64 matches (the exceptions are the opening game in São Paulo and the final in Rio de Janeiro).

As for the first sales period, in the case where there are more requests than the total number of seats available, a random selection draw will define those who will purchase the tickets. As such, there is no need to rush, as all applicants will have the same chance whether they apply this Sunday or late January.

At the same time, the participating team (PMA) ticket sales will commence. For every match, 16% of the tickets will be reserved for fans from both teams (8% per team per match). This includes tickets for all matches including tickets for Brazilian and Croatian fans for the Opening Match on 12 June 2014 at Arena Corinthians in Sao Paulo.

Only residents of the country or nationals from the respective teams playing, no matter where they reside, can apply for PMA tickets. In this quota, only tickets from categories 1-3 are available. Again fans have plenty of time to apply during this phase which will end on 7 February 2014 as these tickets will also be subject to random selection draw. These PMA tickets will be sold via a special link accessible either from FIFA.com/tickets or from the respective team page in the FIFA World Cup section on FIFA.com. It is important to note that each PMA can decide to only allow their fan club members to get access to these specific supporter tickets. This will be the case for England, for example.

Furthermore, fans are reminded that at the time of purchase they can choose whether they prefer to personally collect their tickets or to receive them via a payable delivery service. For more details please visit the FIFA ticketing website. It is important to mention that fans who purchased tickets in the first random selection sales phase and are interested in getting their tickets conveniently delivered to their homes need to order this service at FIFA.com/tickets before 30 January 2014.

Following the draw, the kick-off times for all matches have been reconfirmed, please click here for the final match schedule.

FIFA

Archived