2014 World Cup News

Bezzi

Cuiabá has no teams in the first division, but that does not mean that the stadium will be a white elephant. You know here we have the so-called state championships and the national championship goes up to fourth division. If the city teams have enough fans to fill the stadium, that's another story, but the capacity will be reduced after the Cup. This stadium will be more used than Wembley. :D

Arena-Pantanal-arquibancada-flexivel.jpg

The stadium's capacity will be reduced to 30 thousand people, less than the old stadium that stood in the same place

Govermandor+Jose+Fragelli.jpg

It's a nice argument, and a nice plan to reduce Cuiaba stadium after the World Cup. The city have as much tradtion in football as Athensfan hometown. Still I'd rather Goiania or Florianopolis as host over Cuiabá easily.

Uh, this may be about national pride for you, but it isn't for me.

Enjoy living in your fantasy world.

Since you are not Brazilian, it's really not a national pride for you.

Like, a war-based culture is not a national pride for us, Brazilians... We'd rather to have a beer and soccer sunday in the beach.

That's pretty much why the World is a fascinating place. Every country have its own culture and national prides...

Actually I was going to ask where do you find those links. I decided I'd formally reply to that article - simply because the author is very misinformed and would be easy to disprove his arguments. But then I checked the Article and saw it's just an "opinion" article. it could have been Mr. Athensfan himself that wrote it, or any other misinformed person.

I noticed the guy was ignorant when he compared Brazil to South Africa regarding ticket sales. Unbelievable. He probably recycled an article he read about SA2010.

Dude is completely clueless. At least he didn't mention the lack of a 350km High Speed Railroad connecting two cities as a problem for WC organizers, lol.

Google, go to "news" in the top of the page, then select "US English" or any language you want and search for World Cup....

It's a collection of absurd articles over Brazil.

I'm glad you understand my point. I'm not against the facts (protests, evictions, price tag of WC...), I'm against a lot of absurd journalists abroad writes about themes they does not google the minimum about before write their bullshits.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In English, from Sky Sports

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12027/8966727/big-demand-for-tickets-for-2014-world-cup-in-brazil}
USA surpass Argentina in orders and it's the second country with more requests. Nice

So let me get this straight:

Brazil is not building new stadiums, they're just upgrading old ones that were in constant use and therefore there will be no white elephants connected to the 2014 World Cup.

Let me present the facts:

5 Stadiums were refurbished.

7 Stadiums are brand new.

Amongst those 7 brand new Stadiums only 2 stadiums weren't built in the place of an older one.

Arena Corinthians - São Paulo. Home of the Almighty Coringão.

Arena Pernambuco - Didn't exactly replace an old stadium but one of the teams that will play in there abandoned their old stadium (a Mall will be built in its place, IIRC).

So yeh, the WC added to Brazilian Fooball Economics an incredibly surplus of ONE, UNO, UM stadium. Amazing, ain't it? :lol: Remember: no opinion involved until now. Only the FACTS.

Onto the second part of your post, the part about the White Pachyderms:

Since it's just a prediction I have to abandon the facts for now. But I believe at least 2 of those stadiums could be considered White Elephants, Manaus and, surprisingly, Natal. Natal have a bigger football fanbase, problem is at least for now the big teams don't want to play there.

Cuiabá wont be a whilte elephant because, as Mr. Bezzi pointed out, after the removal of the temporary stands it'd just a 20k stadium. The city needs a Convention Center, the least.

-----------------

Back to the facts:

Right now 6 stadiums are ready and 6 are still in construction.

Of those 6 stadiums, 4 are already in the hands of the Private sector.

Maracanã - Odebrecht / IMG

Mineirão - Minas Arena

Arena Pernambuco - Odebrecht

Fonte Nova - OAS/Odebrecht

Considering the Stadiums that are still in construction 3 of those are already Private Property, 2 Are the supposedly White Elephants, IMHO. And the other is Cuiabá, but after it'll be a small a smallish stadium.

Even though Brazil can easily host "100 World Cups," teachers are unreasonably tying their rejected demands for more pay to World Cup and Olympic spending.

100 world cups? WTF is this ****? We can and will host one World Cup. Syndicates are protesting because they're syndicates, lol. You probably don't know much about it because you live in America. Now if you're implying their salary is/was impacted by the World Cup then you aren't very smart

Brazil government works under a budget and laws, none of the money used in the WC could legally be used to pay their salaries. lol. They wanted publicity and they got publicity, that's it. If you can't understand how strikes works, even if you're American, then...

Amnesty International may protest forced evictions, but their are no forced evictions in connection with World Cup preparations because the people inhabiting those areas are illegal squatters who deserve to be displaced.

Unfortunately we live in a capitalist world, thx USA, sorry URSS. Fortunately we live in a democracy. Thousand of illegal Squatters are removed and allocated in other areas every year, with or without the WC. If you search for news about International Amnesty, you'll see dozens of these news in the past. It's just that you couldn't care less about the Squatters, so you only heard about them because of the WC.

Maybe if the US of A / Europe revoked their illegal subsidies on Agriculture those people could have stayed on the small cities where they were born, working there with the Agro Business instead of having to go to big metropolis to find a Job and having to settle in despicable locations

There will be no empty seats at the 2014 World Cup because Brazilian demand is so high irrespective of which teams are playing at any given stage of the tournament.

Forgive me, but I find all that difficult to swallow.

That's absurd. The idiotic journalist said there'd be 10 thousand of empty seats on games like it happened in SA 2010. And that's just stupid. The Stadiums will have a 92%+ Occupancy Rate.

Now if you still can swallow the facts, then...

Well,at least it's not our fault! We tried.

To make the brillant post from Catra even more complete, the map of availability of tickets for Brazil World Cup, after first phase of orders.

Green means that category in stadium was not full filled...
Red means sold out.

And USA Today is worried about empty seats? C'mon...
ticketdemand.jpg

Cuiaba and Manaus... Athensfan, listen more to Brazilians, when subjects are related to Brazil... It's a better shot.

Brazil government works under a budget and laws, none of the money used in the WC could legally be used to pay their salaries. lol. They wanted publicity and they got publicity, that's it. If you can't understand how strikes works, even if you're American, then...

I already tried to explain this to people from other countries here, SEVERAL TIMES.
We don't have budgets approved like in the USA. Our budget is guaranteed by law. Education and Healthcare will get each at least 6% of the national taxes, whatever it happens in the Universe...

That's why you'll never see a US-like government shutdown in Brazil... This is impossible under Brazilian law.

Changing subject a little...

Brazilian National Team T-Shirt for WC 2014 already leaked!

camisa_maior.jpg
I loved it! Simple and beautiful, without weird stripes or other graphical elements.

You all should actually READ the thread rather than replying to posts out of context.

Bezzi accuses me of some sort of weird pro-USA sour grapes attitude, which is totally not true. Hence, "it's not a matter of national pride for me."

Catra, your own countryman said "Brazil could host 100 World Cups" and I responded to him, so don't act like I'm crazy.

I'm not going to dialogue with you guys anymore because the ardent flag-waving makes it impossible to have a real conversation.

Have at it. Do your nationalistic thing,

You all should actually READ the thread rather than replying to posts out of context.

You too.

Bezzi accuses me of some sort of weird pro-USA sour grapes attitude, which is totally not true. Hence, "it's not a matter of national pride for me."

Sorry Athensfan, I didn't notice Bezzi talk with you, I ask apologies.

Catra, your own countryman (...)

It seems...

(...) said "Brazil could host 100 World Cups" and I responded to him, so don't act like I'm crazy.

About "100 World Cups", it was a comment made by me to make an example about the how the cost of the World Cup will not hurt Brazilian financial position. I think Catra missed this point.

Our federal taxes could pay the cost of 100 World Cups per year, so I don't think a World Cup to be paied, mostly, in 30 years financing could put Brazil in a financial debt - as pointed by the article in USA Today. That's it.

I'm not going to dialogue with you guys anymore because the ardent flag-waving makes it impossible to have a real conversation.

It's not a matter of nationalistic thing, buddy. All of this started because I said a journalist in USA Today wrote inaccurate information about Brazil. You did the first comment outside the very subject I started: 3 inaccuracy items in that article.

We have a HUGE lack of communication in this thread.

lol USA beat us in buying tickets?, I guess most of them are latinamerican inmigrants though

For 2010, I had read somewhere that the USA had the highest number of overseas ticket orders and travel bookings. Something over the 50,000 mark. And no, that's NOT all Latino immigrants because I doubt that they could afford the $5-6,000 travel-&-ticket packages; and get away for like 2-3 weeks without pay. Soccer (and the US team) does have a large following and many from those demographic sectors with disposable incomes to afford the distant junkets. I don't know why FIFA doesn't see that. I guess they don't get the outright cash gifts. :D

Catra, your own countryman said "Brazil could host 100 World Cups" and I responded to him, so don't act like I'm crazy.

Ok, so lets have a rational conversation then. Start by replying to the facts I just posted above. ...

You wont because you can't. Even if I lied in my post you wouldn't know because, and you should admit, your knowledge about Brazil and the WC is very limited.

Just like that lawyer that wrote an article on USA today implying the WC "indebted the country". He's a complete MORON. the 6 billion dollars invested in the WC Stadia is nothing compared to the federal budget. But the money wasn't even from the public budget, they were loans from a development bank that loans money on lower interest rates. lol.

Then you wonder why journalism means nothing in today's world. A fucking nobody can write an article on a supposedly important newspaper but wont check his facts. He'll act like any forumner we see on the web and write random **** and cliche arguments he found using google without checking the facts. Really. Recycling the info about the ticket sales in SA2010 to apply in Brazil simply makes him look a moron. We just hosted the most successful Confed. Cup ever, financially and sportive-wise. Only a moron would use this argument to criticize the 2014 WC. That's like saying Rio carnival's suck because of lack of naked feminine asses. See how stupid does this sound? Same for the empty stadiums in the fucking WC.

And please, stop this bullshit about calling me nationalist. In-between our posts I'm always criticizing the WC and the Olympics, in fact Me and Mr. Danny are always arguing. I just dislike people that refuse to learn. I despise arrogant people that know little about something and yet when their arguments get debunked they abandon ship using ad-hominem arguments. I admitted there'll be White Elephants, but not as many as you think, I admitted squatters are being moved, but it happens all the time for social and economical reasons, I just can't and wont support flawed arguments. Like the one about the high speed railroad, the empty stadiums and the myth that WC indebted the country, lol.

Now to the only point from my post you decided to bring up: No, I had not read Mr. Danny's post but I suppose we all know what Figure of Speech means, right? Are you seriously going to hang on this?

As I said, not going to engage with you any more.

I have no desire to debate revisionist reality. It's futile.

"revisionist reality"? Whatever it means...

Is it too hard to accept that guy in USA Today wrote a lot of inaccurate informations? I'm almost paying a ticket to you to come to Brazil to see with your own eyes, nobody speaks Spanish here or to visit the Ministry of Economic Affairs to check our macroeconomic data...

BTW, the American media have some crush with inaccuracy to Brazilian things...

Friday, CNN in the US:

102_86-alt-blog-hong-kong.jpg

PS: I know, this is just a graphics designer operation error, but it's funny it happened just now...

Commemorative stamps unveiled for Brazil 2014

2198391_FULL-LND.jpg

FIFA is pleased to announce the continuation of its global philatelic programme for the 2014 FIFA World Cup™ in Brazil. FIFA’s current programme is a legacy of the FIFA Centennial Philatelic Programme, which was created in 2004 to celebrate FIFA’s 100-year anniversary. The programme has since continued with great success under the title of the “Official Commemorative Philatelic Programme” for both the 2006 and the 2010 FIFA World Cup™ and is being rolled out once more for next year’s event in Brazil.

“The philatelic programme offers postal administrators all over the world a great opportunity to play their part in the celebration of world football’s greatest event. The programme enables a strong national engagement in a global programme for an event which brings together the world’s best national sides in front of a global audience of billions of football fans,” says Thierry Weil, FIFA Marketing Director.

2014’s edition of the event is eagerly anticipated, with the FIFA World Cup returning to Brazil for the first time since 1950. In doing so, the event will take place in a nation which is often depicted as the spiritual home of football, a country where football is an intrinsic part of the national identity.

The philatelic programme is already up and running in the host country of the FIFA World Cup™, where Brazil’s national post service, Correios, recently launched two special edition stamps to honour the hosting of the FIFA Confederations Cup which took place in six Brazilian Host Cities in June of this year. Further special edition commemorative stamps will be launched in the build-up to 2014, including stamps featuring FIFA’s registered brand assets such as Host City Posters, the Official Emblem of the event and the popular Official Mascot, Fuleco.

The opportunity for postal administrators to use such renowned brand marks on commemorative stamps and ancillary products also exists outside of Brazil, and FIFA is currently in the process of welcoming global postal administrators who wish to participate in the Official Commemorative Philatelic Programme of the 2014 FIFA World Cup™.

FIFA has appointed the company Bolaffi, experts in philately, for the development, promotion and distribution of the Official Commemorative Philatelic Programme of the 2014 FIFA World Cup™ on a global basis. Bolaffi will provide its great expertise and experience and strive to bring the worlds of philately and football fans together as part of the build-up to the 2014 FIFA World Cup™.

FIFA

Behold, the official ball of the 2014 WC.

world-cup-2014-ball.jpg

A photograph of adidas’ official ball for the 2014 FIFA World Cup has been leaked on the Internet.

The Brazuca, which means “national pride in the Brazilian way of life,” isn’t scheduled to be officially unveiled until the day of the FIFA World Cup 2014 draw on December 6. However, the leaked image shows an innovative design, which looks more attractive than the design for World Cup 2010′s Jabulani ball.

The name Brazuca was voted on by soccer fans in Brazil.

The ball will be the official ball played in the 2014 World Cup.

Read more at http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/10/18/introducing-brazuca-the-official-ball-for-fifa-world-cup-2014-from-adidas-leaked-photo/#oUuHLu3BetSRdZTC.99

Whats with Brazil 2014 and all the leaks? (We knew how the logo, mascot and now the ball would look long before they were officially unveiled. Kinda takes away the excitement )

I hope the ball doesn't gets too much bad feedback like the previous one (many players complained about the Jabulani back in 2010)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24537173

Is a Scot, the true father of Brazillian football?

Actually, it is a Uruguayan called Gigghia. After the goal he scored in Maracana in 1950, Brazil became the most victorious nation in the sport.

Behold, the official ball of the 2014 WC.

world-cup-2014-ball.jpg

Whats with Brazil 2014 and all the leaks? (We knew how the logo, mascot and now the ball would look long before they were officially unveiled. Kinda takes away the excitement )

I hope the ball doesn't gets too much bad feedback like the previous one (many players complained about the Jabulani back in 2010)

It's old, actually, Ikarus, The pictures of the ball was leaked months ago by Brazilian press.

I don't like this design, looks more South Africa than Brazil to me.

Homer Simpson to become World Cup 2014 referee in new Simpsons episode

ad_118776495.jpg?w=650&h=650&crop=1#038;

Homer Simpson has refereed before – and sent of Ronaldo (Picture: Fox)

Homer Simpson is set to become a referee at next summer’s World Cup in Brazil – as part of a new Simpsons episode.

The cartoon legend will briefly put down his beloved doughnuts and pick up a whistle in the episode set to be screened next year.

As an error-prone buffoon who often makes calamitous decisions, being a referee might appear to be the perfect choice for Homer.

But broadcasters Fox say the Springfield-based ace will have to deal with South American gangsters who try and influence him to fix World Cup matches.

ad_118783891.jpg

Homer has also hung out with the other Ronaldo (Picture: Fox)

‘The episode follows Springfield’s most famous family as it journeys to Brazil, only to find Homer’s honesty put to the test by one of the slickest South American gangsters in the soccer match-bribing business,’ read a statement.

The plot line might be an uncomfortable one for Fifa, who have been dogged by corruption claims, but Fox actually hope it will help plug football (or ever soccer) in America.

Indeed, the network have secured broadcasting rights for the 2018 World Cup in Russia – and believe this episode can whet appetites.

Marge, Lisa, Bart and Maggie will also join Homer in promoting a range of Simpsons-inspired football merchandise, with Barcelona, Boca Juniors, Zenit Saint Petersburg and Brazilian club Corinthians all signing up for the partnership.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/23/homer-simpson-to-become-world-cup-2014-referee-in-new-simpsons-episode-4157883/

^^ Oh dear, didn't the last time The Simpsons traveled to Brazil caused a big polemic? (the episode called "Blame it on Lisa") I remember the episode got a huge negative feedback in Brazil and they even tried to sue Fox because they considered that episode as racist and inaccurate (stuff like Conga and Macarena being popular musics in Brazil, which they aren't) and making Brazil look like a shithole. I think that because of it, that episode is rarely if ever shown here in Latin America during transmissions of The Simpsons here. James L. Brook even had to make a public apology to the Brazilian government.

I honestly never saw that episode but I hope Brazil is better depicted in that episode and that it doesn't causes polemic again.

Archived