2014 World Cup News

Bezzi

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-23215676

Football spectators in northern Brazil decapitated a referee after he fatally stabbed a player for refusing to leave the pitch, officials say.

An angry mob stormed the field during the amateur game in the state of Maranhao and stoned Otavio da Silva to death before severing his head.

Police said the murder was in retaliation for Mr Silva stabbing player Josenir dos Santos.

One man has been arrested over the killing and investigations continue.

The incident took place on 30 June in the remote town of Pio XII, but news of the event has been slow to emerge.

The state's Public Safety Department said it started when the referee and Mr Santos got into fist fight after the player was sent off but refused to leave the pitch.

_68590463_maranhao.gif

Mr Silva then pulled out a knife and wounded Mr Santos, who died on his way to the hospital.

The player's friends and relatives rushed onto the field, stoned the referee to death and dismembered his body, the department said in a statement.

So far police have arrested a 27-year-old man in connection with the crime.

"We will identify and hold accountable all those involved," police chief Valter Costa was quoted as saying by local media.

"One crime will never justify another."

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terrible, but has about as much relevance to this thread as an egg-and-spoon race at a Brazilian junior school does to Usain Bolt's chances in the 100m at Rio.

Murders happen and these happen to have happened at a match. That's as far as any "connection" to the World Cup goes.

A linesman was kicked to death in Holland at a youth football match a few months ago. Terrible obviously, but I didn't hear anyone connecting it to the professional game in that country.

Well it is interesting to note how sportsmanship plays out in a country, which will be hosting the WC and Olympics. This incident is a bit more brutal than a crowd kicking someone to death in Holland (unimaginable as that may be) as not only did the crowd kill the referee, the tied him to a pole, beat and stoned him, then ended up cutting the official into quarters while decapitating him and then leaving his head on the pole on the pitch. The BBC was kind in editing most of that out of their story, and not linking to pictures which were posted online. And it sounds like only one person was arrested so far?

Yep, crime in Rio is something that is a potential issue. This happened in a remote village more or less 2000km away from the 2016 host city.

I've got friends who won't visit their families in Rio because of the crime. The IOC DID take a gamble in this regard. I meant it when I said we'll see how it works out. Maybe everything will be fine. Maybe not. The location of this one incident is neither here nor there.

I’m sure Rio will be a Military Police State during the Games. It’s going to be unimaginably complicated and costly with so many clusters so spread over a big area.

Imagine if some protesters decide the games will be the best time to get a lot of attention. One of these hosts is going to have to deal with mass rioting during the games, I wonder who it will be?

We have the World Cup to whatch as a trial run before the games.

Yeah, all the bad-will and lack of any sense in comments got back to Rio threads...

One week before the 2016 announcement, kids killed a boy with punches and woodsticks in Chicago. This does not mean all Chicagoans are uncivilized...

Some stupid people killed a referee in a town 2,000 Km far from Rio, so let's "raise doubts about crime IN RIO during the Olympic Games that will occur in 3 years from now"

Tired of it...

Lots... I said LOTS of crimes will happen in Brazil in the next years, before, during, after the games... Some really bad. Bad people are everywhere.
Still, Rio reduced its murder rate almost in 50% in the last 4 years... Robbery and minor crimes dropped hugely in the same time.

What else you guys want?

To transform Rio, a big city with big problems (indeed about violence) in heaven in just few days??? Let me say something: It's impossible.

But what is happening to the city (reducing crime) is already huge and if, kept after the games, will be a real legacy for the city.

About rioting... Let's talk about Ice-Hockey "celebrations" in North America or Unemployment/Troika measure protests in Europe... C'mon, **** happens everywhere.

I've got friends who won't visit their families in Rio because of the crime. The IOC DID take a gamble in this regard. I meant it when I said we'll see how it works out. Maybe everything will be fine. Maybe not. The location of this one incident is neither here nor there.

Media played huge on it. On putting the image of Rio in the bottom. Rio IS NOT EVEN the most violent city in Brazil. Not Top-10, Not Top-100... Curitiba, the so-called "model capital" of Brazil have a 3 times worse murder rate than Rio.

But, "let's avoid Rio".

I work for media... And I can change a bit what "some famous guy" said in the past: sausage and journalism, it's good to not know how it is made.

The IOC chose to ignore crime crime in Rio. Lets see how it works out.

That's ridiculous... Lots of international events happens in Rio from decades to now... None have problems with crime.

Don't mess out "drug-related" crimes (specially fights for drug selling points) with actual potential issue for hosting an international event.

Usually terrorism is a bigger problem than day-to-day crimes. and it didn't stop the olympic movement from going to countries that are targets of terrorist groups.

anyways, some guy slow in the head thinks that had anything to do with (or lack of) "sportsmanship". lol

London is a ver often terrorist target, and games went perfectlly. Rio will only need to ake the people fall in love with the magic of Olympics and we will see a trully carnaval.

I fear more of the World Cup.

Usually terrorism is a bigger problem than day-to-day crimes. and it didn't stop the olympic movement from going to countries that are targets of terrorist groups.

Exactly

Go to "Meia Hora" newspaper website, you will get thousand of titles like this per day... Be my guest.

Paul, you must come to Brazil... Maybe you learn that violence happens specially in the edge of big cities, unfortunatelly, or if you don't undestand it, you can get beheaded or maybe killed in front of your 3,000 fans... <_<

BTW, should the derail of a oil train in Canada raise concerns about transportation in Toronto 2015 games?
Or a 166-shoot fight between Police and Criminals in Miami Beach 1 year ago raise concerns about security in a possible LA games in 2024???

That's pretty the same.

Anyone can be a target of a terrorism act in the US or Europe also...

Maybe some bad prepared police force can shoot in an innocent non-caucasian guy at some underground station in name of "protect future terrorist acts"...
Maybe a "weirdo" boy can shoot on you in a university or a mall...

Or who knows, someone can blow up an entire finish line of a beautiful sunny day Marathon.

Which is sad and I totally condemn all kinds of violence: drug-related, terrorism-related or any kind.

But, let's face the facts: **** happens everywhere. The problems are different and the extension too (I agree with this), but, as we say in Brazil, "To be dead, you only need to be alive before".

PS: To be "beheaded" is not a common crime in Brazil at all. It shocked the country due the cruelty, indeed, that's why got international attention.

It doesn't matter...

The same was valid to a lot of bullshit I read here about a PRIVATE building collapsing in Downtown Rio raising doubts to PUBLIC works for the Olympic Games.

It was an accident - does not matter who is operating or owning... Accidents are accidents.

My sole point is: an accident, an isolated event does not mean it's a common problem.

A crime in a soccer match does not mean all soccer matches in Brazil have beheaded referees... And you can wonder how many soccer matches are held per day in 200-million souls Brazil...

It's irritating media pointing any crime in Brazil as a problem for events to be held in the country.

Why not check the records of the events already held in Brazil??? It's pretty surprising almost all of them were so successful.

The difference being the oil spill train incident happened in Quebec. Brazil has an increasing eye from rest of the world because of both events and especially in a country which is still mostly developing.

No doubts we are a developing country - with good and bad things about this. But "developing country" does not means media can raise doubts about everything...

What's the point, the goal of all of this? To claim how "perfect" are developed countries? C'mon.

I think every country have pros and cons. If any national here have a perfect country, please, throw the first rock.

Blatter: Brazil may have been wrong choice as hostGOING, Austria (AP) - FIFA President Sepp Blatter said Brazil might have been the wrong choice as host of the 2014 World Cup if the tournament is affected by social protests like those as at the Confederations Cup last month.

Hundreds of thousands of Brazilians took to the streets during the warm-up tournament in June, demanding better public services and expressing their anger over the costs to stage the World Cup.

"If this happens again we have to question whether we made the wrong decision awarding the hosting rights," Blatter told German press agency DPA on Wednesday.

FIFA spoke with the Brazilian government after the Confederations Cup, and Blatter said he'll discuss the issue again with Brazil President Dilma Rousseff in September.

"We didn't do a political debriefing, but we did emphasize the fact of this social unrest being there for the entire duration of the Confederations Cup," he said. "The government is now aware that next year the World Cup shouldn't be disturbed.

"To me, these protests were like alarm bells for the government, the senate, the parliament. They should work on it so that this is not going to happen again. Though protests, if peaceful, are part of democracy and therefore have to be accepted ... we are convinced the government, and especially the president, will find the words and the actions to prevent a repeat. They have a year to do so."

Blatter was speaking at the start of a two-day conference on sports, media and economy set up by German great Franz Beckenbauer in Austria. FIFA later verified the comments were accurate.

The Confederations Cup, which was won by Brazil, angered citizens who are upset with the billions of dollars spent on the tournaments while they endure underfunded schools and hospitals.

Protesters aired a wide spectrum of grievances, including the high cost of hosting the 2016 Rio Olympics.

The protests were originally organized by university students before spreading across the country, including tournament host cities Brasilia, Rio de Janeiro, Salvador, Fortaleza and Belo Horizonte.

"It's not we who have to learn lessons from the protests in Brazil - politics in Brazil have to do that," said Blatter, adding that "FIFA cannot be held responsible" for social discrepancy in the country.

Without FIFA's executive committee having to vote, Brazil won the right to host the tournament in October 2007. That was six months after the only other candidate, Colombia, withdrew its bid.

"The decision for Brazil was the best decision we could make. It was the correct decision, we stick to this decision," Blatter said.

Blatter said the success of next year's tournament will be instrumental in his decision whether to stand for president for a fifth time in 2015, adding that not all of the governing body's tasks have been fulfilled yet.

"First we have to complete the reforms, which are three-quarters done. I'll then have to deliver the World Cup ... the way the world looks now, I'll say yes or no (to standing again) at the next congress in Sao Paulo in 2014," he said. "FIFA should be taken over by someone who can take over a FIFA which is not just financially healthy, which it is now, but which also has credibility."

AP

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268759/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=MvEZNB1W

What good could it possibly do to make these public statements now? Blatter is an idiot.

Brazil will host the World Cup. They are working hard to make it a success. They don't need any more motivation. This is ridiculous. The man seems to care about nothing but maintaining the illusion of his own innocence. He seems quite ready to throw Brazil under the bus. Nauseating.

I have been disappointed in a variety of moves by the IOC, but they do stand behind their hosts as partners. They only lit a fire under Athens when they were left with no alternative.

Blatter is an idiot.

Brazilian Sports Ministry released a note saying Brazil already proved we can host nice football events with the Confederations Cup and remebered Fifa that Brazilians have the right of freedom of expression and protesting guaranteed in the constitution.

Enough said.

Fifa loses free-to-air World Cup TV battle

Fifa and Uefa have lost an appeal against a European ruling that the World Cup and Euro Championships must be shown on free-to-air TV in the UK.

In 2011, the European General Court said the UK could keep the events on a list of "protected" events of national sporting interest broadcast for free.

It means the two tournaments cannot be sold exclusively to pay-TV firms.

Fifa and Uefa had appealed, after saying they could not sell the events fairly for their real value.

But the European Court of Justice - Europe's Supreme Court - has now said the original decision in the General Court (formerly Court of First Instance) in 2011 was correct.

The BBC and ITV had already secured the rights to broadcast the football World Cup finals in 2014, and they were guaranteed of being shown free-to-air.

But there had been fears that moves towards a pay-TV model would have been in place in time for the 2018 World Cup in Russia, should Fifa and Uefa have won their case.

The court said it "dismisses the appeals brought by Fifa and Uefa in their entirety".

BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23288211

Archived