2014 World Cup News

Bezzi

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've truly lost count of the number of events the US has stepped in to save. The 2004 Olympics in Minneapolis were magnificent and lucky they were because, last I heard, Athens was still putting that roof on their German-funded stadium. Then, we had the truly remarkable San Diego/Tijuana Games whilst Beijing was covered in a dense smog. 2014 will, of course, be the second World Cup the US has hosted this decade after Jack Warner claimed some money missing from CONCACAF's accounts was pickpocketed during a 2009 visit to Cape Town.

And last but not least, thank the Mormon God and his interplanetary deities that President Romney stepped in to give the World Salt Lake City 2012. One-term President Obama must weep into his Frosties every morning when he remembers the events of last Summer.

Well we did do the 2003 Women's World Cup on four months notice. A kind gesture conveniently ignored by FIFA in the last site selection.

Don't forget the 1987 Pan Am Games. I believe Indy had two years to get that together, and they have never been back since.

BTW the article seems to imply the worries are coming from within Brazil, this is not a case of American opportunism at work,

Like I said before, this is very unlikely to happen. It would be a great insult to Brazil at this point of their preparations

That article is a load of crap, sorry. As ugly as the protests are getting, situation can differ in 2014. Some friends for Brazil (who have in fact taken part on these protests) are telling me that right now these are kinda turning off and that even some protesters don't even know the whole point of why they're doing it (despite Dilma got booed massively on her televised speech last night), for example people celebrating and cheering instead of looking pissy, so don't be surprised if the whole issue is forgotten in a matter of weeks.

I think it's too soon to say the WC should be moved to another country. But maybe Brazilian government should answer the calls of these people and work on improving their social life as well, instead of just dedicating themselves to the event, to prevent these kind of protests to repeat again in 2014-2016.

There is no plan B for the World Cup 2014.

FIFA have a huge contract with TV Globo about merchandise and TV rights for 2014 and if FIFA move the World Cup, Globo must be paied for all expected earnings.
And Brazilian Govt must pay FIFA for the organization of the tournament...

It's a lot of money none wants to move in name of changing the country.

And yes, ESPN Brasil is claiming England is ready to host the World Cup if FIFA wants to go out from Brazil.

USA, IMO, is not an option since most American stadiums have its own standards and those differ of FIFA requirements for stadiums. Some country in Europe would serve as plan B better than USA...
We, from Brazil, know exactly how FIFA is boring about their standards.

USA, IMO, is not an option since most American stadiums have its own standards and those differ of FIFA requirements for stadiums. Some country in Europe would serve as plan B better than USA...

We, from Brazil, know exactly how FIFA is boring about their standards.

England or Spain can host it, Russia 2018 will be a the only issue that can favour USA. Brazil is going to host at the end, not happening other way,

The media of "traditional countries" needs to prove themselves daily how great are they and how the rest of the world sucks...

Wow. I really don't think that's true. What do the UK, US or whoever else you're thinking of have to gain if Brazil falters? They're not inventing these stories either. The stories are newsworthy. Isn't it possible that you just don't like the reality of the situation and are deflecting the truth by blaming others?

This is one article, and only one article. I've not seen any others saying the World Cup could be moved, so there's no need for a discussion on the media as a whole. And actually, what I find is that people from "non-traditional" countries (is that the correct term?) tend not to realise how varied the quality and accuracy of the media is within "traditional" countries, so debate on the issue is almost always tiresome.

The situation has calmed down... Last week I was worried about how things were going (I expressed my concern in another topic), but things went much better than I expected. Instead of turmoil and instability, the protests generated exactly what we needed: democratic reforms. After the large demonstrations, there was a decrease of the bus fares, the National Congress held a session until dawn to vote for projects required by the people, local governments are announcing spending cuts in non-priority areas (i.e. Governor of São Paulo announced he will sell its helicopter and a thousand cars used by officials.), the President is holding meetings everyday with several sectors of society and proposed a referendum for a comprehensive political reform... Now that the government responded, demonstrations are getting smaller, which is a very good sign of maturity of the Brazilian people. We contested our representative democracy, but instead of just subverting it, we gave a chance for it to reinvent itself...

Anyway, the Confederations Cup ran smoothly, with records of public attendance and without any major problem of security or organization, despite all that was going on... In my opinion, this is a proof that the World Cup can [and will] be organized wonderfully next year.

Sepp Blatter pledges $100M to BrazilRIO DE JANEIRO (AP) - FIFA President Sepp Blatter responded Friday to criticism of the cost of staging the World Cup in Brazil by pledging to give at least $100 million from profits back to the country.

World football's governing body gave South Africa $100 million to invest in development projects after the 2010 World Cup, but had not previously said it would establish a similar "social fund" after the 2014 tournament to Brazil.

The Confederations Cup, which serves as a World Cup warm-up event, has been marred by protesters denouncing billions of dollars spent to host the World Cup - money some say should be going toward improving public services.

"We have left a legacy (in South Africa), a special fund of $100 million, this fund is controlled by the Football (Association) of (South) Africa, the government of South Africa and FIFA," Blatter said in Rio de Janeiro. "I am sure an amount like that, or even higher, will be possible to have here ... the aim from FIFA is not to take profit out of the country, but to put into the country."

Blatter acknowledged social unrest that has rocked Brazil while the tournament has been taking place.

"Hope is one of the elements of football ... we play football nowadays in all perturbed countries in all the world," Blatter said. "And not only in the perturbed countries where there are many (security) situations, like in Syria or in Afghanistan where we play football, but also (where) there is some social unrest.

"Look at European countries, there is social unrest - there are demonstrations in Portugal, France, Italy, Spain, Turkey, Greece."

AP

^^^^

He said other things too:

"From the organisational point of view I am particularly happy with what has happened here. We have received only compliments from the eight delegations that have been participating in this competition. When we look on the pitch, I have to say this is the best FIFA Confederations Cup in quality that we have ever organised".

http://www.fifa.com/newscentre/news/newsid=2122355/index.html?intcmp=fifacom_hp_module_news

Dunno what to say. Myself coming from an equal or much more corrupt country than yours, I suspect this is just to make people believe there are changes but they're just tricking us into believing that. After the Confed Cup is over they might return to their usual shenanigans.

Dunno what to say. Myself coming from an equal or much more corrupt country than yours, I suspect this is just to make people believe there are changes but they're just tricking us into believing that. After the Confed Cup is over they might return to their usual shenanigans.

It could be that or it could be in another way. I understand the point of this comment, but I think this moment is relevant to the history and democracy in Brazil. The government knows a prepared civil society who can fight for their rights in a legal way. If the government learnt of this situation, they can make the things right.

Wow. I really don't think that's true. What do the UK, US or whoever else you're thinking of have to gain if Brazil falters? They're not inventing these stories either. The stories are newsworthy. Isn't it possible that you just don't like the reality of the situation and are deflecting the truth by blaming others?

It's not about inventing stories, but to create the "feeling of unsafe country to visit or to trust the organization of a big event".

A single piece of grass outside the place in a stadium "raise doubts of Brazil capacity to this or that"... We read it several times for stupid and non-stupid issues.

The media did the same with South Africa "putting doubts" for years, and the World Cup ran smoothly. The media did the same with Brazil posting pictures of a specific angle to claim absurd things about Cup Organization, and guess what? The tournament itself ran smoothly again, despite the protests and DOMESTIC POLITIC issues that really is happening in Brazil and I'm glad people is protesting for a better Brazil.

And actually, what I find is that people from "non-traditional" countries (is that the correct term?) tend not to realise how varied the quality and accuracy of the media is within "traditional" countries, so debate on the issue is almost always tiresome.

I agree totally.

We really have difficulties to understand how the media in "traditional countries" can vary from few respected and accurate journalists to dozens of sensationalistic/inaccurate corporations (public and private).

It could be that or it could be in another way. I understand the point of this comment, but I think this moment is relevant to the history and democracy in Brazil. The government knows a prepared civil society who can fight for their rights in a legal way. If the government learnt of this situation, they can make the things right.

The politicians, the media and even the people are completely lost and have no idea what's coming next... A revolution started in Brazil, but nobody knows where it will lead us... It's really tricky.

Revolution? Nah... It will fade this July and all will be just like it was in May.

In part I agree.

IMHO, the next step is to organize comissions to claim the reinvidication and start to protest in higher level... We can not stop Brazil every day in protests.. That would be really insane.

Archived