2014 World Cup News

Bezzi

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just spotted this unfortunate story:

http://articles.lati...soccer-20120624

Suddenly you spotted an article from June? (indeed, the link does not open here)

This one's pretty bad too:

http://www.listener....ed-by-problems/

Bad written you mean?

Stupid article from somebody 20,000 Km far from Brazil based in blogs (?) and also based in a "very particular" reading of a press agency post.

Stadium delays??? What this guy is talking about??????

“thousands of people are being forcefully evicted from their homes to make room for office buildings, stadiums and roads”

Thousands??? Stadiums?????????????????????????????? Office buildings???????????????????????????????????????????????

About stadiums: 10 out of 12 are being built in the place old stadiums existed. The new 2 "locations" in Sao Paulo and Recife were empty places far away from city downtowns...

More: those who are "evicted" from places that new roads will be placed are receiving payments if not an already "full mortgage paied" new home...

This idiot was not even able to read the link of Mercopress he posted!!!

Rich countries media spaniking a developing host of some big sports event... So cliché...

<_<

Yes, we have stadium delays.

Yes, people are 'forcefully invited' to relocate their communities and local businesses to places completely different from their roots - i.e 'a fisherman is given a house in the mountains' - and cultural links (ask anyone who studies urban space dynamics and they'll agree this is very serious stuff).

I'm not denying the LOTS of problems in the organization of the FIFA World Cup... But read the New Zealand guy's article...

He is nuts...

About STADIUM delays... We HAD some. From now on, everything agreed with FIFA in jan-2012 have been done under the schedule. So...

No fishermen was removed from their houses, this example is a bit exaggerated, but people in some URBAN areas have been removed to other far away - that's true...

About "forcefully invited", Victor, this is ridiculous.

Relocations/expropriations can be done, indeed our law (and law in many countries) allows this - if the law is right or wrong, this is other discussion...

The point is: things must be done under the law requirements.

Finally, show me some news reporting people being removed from their houses to build any Stadium for the World Cup or for some "office building" related to the event.

This kind of inaccuracy made from International media is BORING!!!!!!!!!!!

Suddenly you spotted an article from June? (indeed, the link does not open here)

Bad written you mean?

Stupid article from somebody 20,000 Km far from Brazil based in blogs (?) and also based in a "very particular" reading of a press agency post.

Stadium delays??? What this guy is talking about??????

“thousands of people are being forcefully evicted from their homes to make room for office buildings, stadiums and roads”

Thousands??? Stadiums?????????????????????????????? Office buildings???????????????????????????????????????????????

About stadiums: 10 out of 12 are being built in the place old stadiums existed. The new 2 "locations" in Sao Paulo and Recife were empty places far away from city downtowns...

More: those who are "evicted" from places that new roads will be placed are receiving payments if not an already "full mortgage paied" new home...

This idiot was not even able to read the link of Mercopress he posted!!!

Rich countries media spaniking a developing host of some big sports event... So cliché...

<_<

Actually, Danny, both links do work (at least for me). And yes, I stumbled across both of them.

There's no need to call me an "idiot" because you don't like the fact that foreign media are saying unflattering things. Don't blame me for what they're writing.

I didn't called you idiot, but the guy in New Zealand. The NZ guy didn't read or misread the link of Mercopress he posted in his blog.

I can disagree on you in several things, but so far, you have been a nice poster and always sticking to the topic/discussion without any personal harassment, so, I would never say this about you.

_____

The LA Times link didn't work for me, but now I can read it.

So, let's go:

"That's not a good combination for a country whose transportation infrastructure is woefully inadequate at best."

Poor generalism... Unfortunatelly our transportation infrastructure varies a lot, specially from rich South to poorer North...

Meanwhile we have a huge and idle Rio de Janeiro International Airport (under huge refurbshments) we have other airports under pressure...

The same for roads... Mostly are very nice in Southern Brazil, Rio, São Paulo (even compared to some European Countries), meanwhile, some dirty roads still exists in the very interior of Brazil.

"During Carnival … we receive more tourists than we expect to receive during the World Cup," he [MINITER OS SPORTS] wrote. "None of the major tourist destinations have faced any major problems in transportation, and the return rates of tourists are very high, a clear indication that things here work."

True, but still worries me the amount of people that can arrive at same time in some host cities... Still, our movement of passengers in Christmas or Carnaval seasons is 4 times bigger than the expected to the World Cup.

There is still time to this huge opportunity to renew our airports... But Infraero (Govt. Airport Company) is so slow... Anyway, all airport are under [slow] works...

"Then there are the stadiums themselves. New venues are being built in Sao Paulo and Recife, and 10 others are being rebuilt or refurbished — and FIFA is worried that as many as half those stadiums will not be ready in time."

INNACURATE/LIE. Fifa already said only Natal is under "atention/yellow light". And that's my opinion too based on the thousand of pics we post in Stadium Progress thread.

Again, my biggest criticism:

Why all the reports from Northern Hemisphere Media about Brazil events are SO INNACURATE?????????

Thank you for clarifying, Danny. I did misunderstand you. I appreciate your kind words.

Just so you know, people said TERRIBLE things about Athens leading up to their Olympics and I thought they turned out splendidly.

Just because there are some negative stories now doesn't mean Rio won't shine in 2014 and 2016. Rio just needs to prove the naysayers wrong.

No fishermen was removed from their houses, this example is a bit exaggerated, but people in some URBAN areas have been removed to other far away - that's true...

A fisherman removed to the mountains = metaphor for people being forced to deal with living far from their economical activities

About "forcefully invited", Victor, this is ridiculous.

Relocations/expropriations can be done, indeed our law (and law in many countries) allows this - if the law is right or wrong, this is other discussion...

The point is: things must be done under the law requirements.

The law lacks power if it goes against upper-class and corporate interests. Just check the subway line at Higienópolis: perfect example of double standards. And the weird thing is the middle class are ok with some protofascist agendas led by people who don't even care: we're paying them for the World Cup yet still have to buy our tickets and stading legacy for millions of citizens will be very slim...

I'm all excited for 2014WC and Rio 2016, but we're not bidding anymore and there's no need to gloss everything. The World Cup as we speak - and its focus on stadiums and airports mostly - may turn into a lost opportunity legacy-wise for brazilian cities...

Finally, show me some news reporting people being removed from their houses to build any Stadium for the World Cup or for some "office building" related to the event.

Help yourself: http://www.inesc.org.br/noticias/noticias-do-inesc/2011/junho/copa-do-mundo-no-brasil-violacao-de-direitos-humanos-e-sociais

http://www.portalpopulardacopa.org.br/index.php

http://esportes.r7.com/futebol/noticias/dossie-aponta-violacao-de-direitos-humanos-na-preparacao-para-a-copa-do-mundo-de-2014-20111212.html

I appreciate the work of these human rights NGOs but not totally trust them. Most of these houses that are being removed are simple in illegal areas, without any sanitation. These families are moving to better locations, improving the quality of life, but there's always those who "think" that their property is worth more than the government offers and say they are being forced, not to mention the malicious politicians wanting to take advantage of the situation.

A fisherman removed to the mountains = metaphor for people being forced to deal with living far from their economical activities

The law lacks power if it goes against upper-class and corporate interests. Just check the subway line at Higienópolis: perfect example of double standards. And the weird thing is the middle class are ok with some protofascist agendas led by people who don't even care: we're paying them for the World Cup yet still have to buy our tickets and stading legacy for millions of citizens will be very slim...

I'm all excited for 2014WC and Rio 2016, but we're not bidding anymore and there's no need to gloss everything. The World Cup as we speak - and its focus on stadiums and airports mostly - may turn into a lost opportunity legacy-wise for brazilian cities...

Help yourself: http://www.inesc.org...manos-e-sociais

http://www.portalpop...rg.br/index.php

http://esportes.r7.c...4-20111212.html

I agree the law must be the same for everyone and the Higienópolis case is really a shame - and, I must confess, I don't know what happened after the protests of the rich people from there.

But, anyway, the law allow the government to pay to "remove" people from their house in case of public interest... If things have been done right or wrong, this is other matter.

My point is: government can ask people to leave their places to build avenues, but MUST do it under the law.

No "forced removal" can be claimed. It our law.

BTW< your links didn't show any evidence of "removals" for STADIUMS and/or OFFICE BUILDINGS.

There are "removals" for Highways and other infra-structure works. Not stadiums or Office Buildings.

I know what is a metaphor... I said the metaphor is a bit exaggerated, we are talking about people living in urban areas and mostly working in urban areas too.

The metaphor does not fit the case, IMO.

Thank you for clarifying, Danny. I did misunderstand you. I appreciate your kind words.

It couldn't be different. You are a gentlemen and despite our different vision, we always talking with respect and I hope we continue to be like this.

Just so you know, people said TERRIBLE things about Athens leading up to their Olympics and I thought they turned out splendidly.

Just because there are some negative stories now doesn't mean Rio won't shine in 2014 and 2016. Rio just needs to prove the naysayers wrong.

Strong point you have. Totally agreed.

But I must confess it's sad to us to read so many inaccurate information about Brazil just to sell disgrace in the news.

And more: it's not fair.

Okay, the things are not perfect in Brazil, and probably will never be (and we and the rest of the world knows that), but it could be nice to recognize the effort of a developing nation to become better and host big events as part of this process...

Instead, we have a lot of bad will coming from International media, like Brazil is only about favelas, delays and problems...

Brazil is so big to reduce us to bad things only...

And I work for the media, that's why I got so mad with all this stuff...

Because here, I can feel how evil can be what media makes with people, places, countries, companies...

UN urges FIFA to do more to ensure green Brazil World Cup

The United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) urged world football governing body FIFA Tuesday to do more to ensure an environmentally friendly 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

A UNEP study released here assessed South Africa's performance at the 2010 World Cup and highlighted lessons Brazil could learn as it gears up to host the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Rio summer Olympics.

"The investment in environmental management is not sufficient. This issue needs to be addressed by FIFA," it noted.

"FIFA should consider compensating for its own carbon footprint and encourage its partners to do the same," it added.

The report was unveiled as UNEP officials met this week with representatives from the Brazilian government, FIFA and the Olympic committee to consider concrete steps to make the two major sporting events go easy on the environment.

Brazil has pledged to organize the first World Cup in which all stadiums have green certifications, said Claudio Langone, the sustainability coordinator for the 2014 World Cup.

These certifications focus on reuse of demolition material, efficient lighting, energy use and water management.

The UNEP review showed that South Africa 2010's carbon footprint was far lower than projected, "due to fewer visitors than expected, carpooling and Park and Ride schemes, and efficient stadia that cut energy use by an estimated 30 per cent."

AFP

FIFA acts to prevent empty seats at 2014 World Cup

LONDON (AP) -FIFA will try to minimize the number of empty seats at the 2014 World Cup by taking measures to ensure sponsors use their allocation - or lose them.

There were large blocks of empty seats at some stadiums at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, and this year's European Championship in Poland and Ukraine.

At the Leaders in Football conference on Wednesday, FIFA marketing director Thierry Weil said that sponsors would have to name the people using tickets two or three days before matches in Brazil.

"They cannot just say the people will come and then nobody comes," Weil said. "The tickets will only be handed over the day of the game to the people, so you can reallocate tickets to different people, even in the sponsor families."

That was a major issue at the London Olympics, where there was public outrage that fans couldn't get into venues despite corporate seats initially being empty.

Ticket prices for the World Cup will be announced next month.

"We are concerned by no-shows, that is clear because it does not look good," Weil said. "And it especially does not look good if you announce to the world that you have no tickets, then you see on TV that you have a lot of empty seats."

A system will be trialed at the Confederations Cup in June when Weil says Brazil will show it is ready to stage the World Cup.

"At certain stages, there will be some wake-up calls," he said. "At certain stages, there will be some delays. At certain stages, there will be negative things from different people. But, Brazil will be ready."

Former Brazil striker Ronaldo assured the conference in London of that.

"The organization of course has to be perfect - we guarantee it will be perfect," Ronaldo, who now works for the organizing committee, said through a translator. "As for the sporting side there will be no guarantees there."

But Ronaldo hopes playing on home soil will help the team deliver Brazil's sixth world title.

"This will be added incentive. It will be motivation. I think it will have a positive impact," he said. "Otherwise I will be playing again."

http://nbcsports.msn.../sports-soccer/

Valcke hospitalised in Brazil

FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke has been hospitalised in Brazil because of an infection and missed the local World Cup organising committee board meeting on Thursday.

Soccer's governing body said on Thursday that Valcke's condition isn't serious but he will need to stay in a Rio de Janeiro hospital for a few days.

Valcke also failed to participate in an event to launch construction work for a Rio hotel that will be used during the 2014 World Cup.

He was replaced at the board meeting by FIFA deputy secretary general Markus Kattner.

"FIFA's secretary general has an infection and, on doctor's advice, is recuperating locally at the hospital here in Rio," Kattner said. "He is in the best hands and just needs two to three days of observation. I can confirm he is OK and there is no reason for concerns."

It was not clear what type of infection Valcke has.

Valcke had been in Brazil since Tuesday for a tour of World Cup host cities. He visited Belo Horizonte on Tuesday and Porto Alegre on Wednesday.

http://www.sport24.c...Brazil-20121018

FIFA Secretary General Valcke released from hospital after kidney infection in Brazil

FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke has been released from a Brazilian hospital after recovering from a kidney infection.

FIFA says Valcke returned home to Switzerland on Sunday after spending four days hospitalized in Rio de Janeiro to treat the infection. Soccer’s governing body said Valcke “responded very well” to antibiotics since being admitted Wednesday.

FIFA’s top administrator said “the result of my personal inspection of the medical facilities here in Brazil is excellent. I am sure that come the FIFA Confederations Cup and the FIFA World Cup, everyone will be in good hands.”

The 52-year-old Frenchman was in Brazil for a three-day trip to visit 2014 World Cup host cities and attend a board meeting of the local organizing committee. He missed the board meeting because of the illness.

AP

http://www.washingto...abc7_story.html

• 2 weeks later...

FIFA has disbanded an expert panel led by Franz Beckenbauer and Pele which was meant to suggest ways of improving football's entertainment value before the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

FIFA said Tuesday that the intended work of its Task Force Football 2014 group will instead be done by its existing Football Committee, chaired by UEFA President Michel Platini.

Australian winger

Harry Kewell and former Germany star forward Steffi Jones are among the new members who will join that committee at its Nov. 16 meeting in Zurich.

Beckenbauer and Pele will be special advisers. Pele never attended task force meetings, which failed to deliver significant results since first meeting in May 2011.

FIFA President

Sepp Blatter appointed the task force to create "a more attractive" World Cup after too many lackluster matches at the 2010 edition in South Africa.

Blatter has suggested changes could be made to penalty shootouts, because football "loses its essence as a team sport" when matches are decided in one-on-one situations.

"Perhaps Franz Beckenbauer with his Football 2014 group can present us with a solution, if not today then tomorrow," Blatter said at the annual FIFA congress in Budapest in May.

The 2014 panel was among four task forces FIFA created to help modernize football and the governing body.

Working groups proposed ideas to reform FIFA's statutes, the ethics committee and financial compliance before their work ended in Budapest.

"The work of these task forces has been a great success, and they testified the need to push forward the reform process of FIFA," Blatter said in a statement. "They have been an example of vision and open discussion."

FIFA urged to allow Brazilian food at World Cup

SAO PAULO — FIFA is under pressure to allow sales of a native Brazilian sandwich in stadiums at the 2014 World Cup amid allegations that the governing body is bowing to corporate sponsors such as McDonald's.

The row centers on acaraje, an iconic black-eyed pea fritter from the northeastern state of Bahia, and a FIFA regulation that bars street vendors within a two-kilometer (1.2 mile) radius of World Cup venues.

A petition circulated by the Association of Bahian female acaraje vendors (ABAM) is demanding that FIFA guarantees space inside stadiums for its members.

Acaraje, a fritter which is split and stuffed with caramelized onions and shrimp, was declared a cultural heritage of Brazil in 2005.

ABAM and its supporters say the restrictions were imposed to protect the interests and hamburger sales of McDonald's, one of the World Cup's main sponsors, and argue that it would be outrageous to bar acaraje, particularly in the Fonte Nova stadium of the Bahian state capital Salvador.

ABAM president Rita Santos sent the petition to FIFA President Sepp Blatter, Brazilian Sport Minister Aldo Rebelo, and national team hero Ronaldo, a member of the World Cup's Local Organizing Committee (LOC).

"Clearly security, hygiene and healthy food must be of concern to organizers of such a major event, but this must not be influenced by the interests of sponsors such as McDonald's," it said.

"We want Bahian women vendors and acarajes at the 2014 World Cup."

FIFA, however, insisted the restrictions were put in place for security and safety reasons and have nothing to do with McDonald's.

The petition specifically urges Ronaldo, who won the World Cup with Brazil in 2002, to intervene on the issue and secure a conciliatory pledge from FIFA.

In a statement sent to AFP on Saturday, FIFA said it was important "the food and beverage offerings in the stadia at the 2014 FIFA World Cup incorporate a local Brazilian flavor," noting that it was in the process of appointing a food and beverage concessionaire to implement the event's menu.

"Once appointed we will together assess the possibilities of including local food choices for each host city, taking into account the requirements of the local people and the international audience," the statement said.

"The sale of acaraje in Salvador will be part of these discussions."

FIFA said it was in talks with Salvador and the other 11 Brazilian host cities to ensure the interests of these informal sellers are taken into account and that "regulated opportunities to benefit from the World Cup are offered to this group to the greatest extent possible."

AFP

Archived