Opening Ceremony Spoilers *SPOILER ALERT!*

To FDLondon, Adrianme17 and anyone else directly involved in the ceremonies:

LOCOG and L2012C staff (myself included) are aware of this thread and are monitoring the comments with interest. As per your volunteers agreement, on the subject of non disclosure, could I please ask you to refrain from commenting any further on the subject the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Opening and Closing Ceremonies.

Thank you.

Oh do shut up you utter twerp. Talk about self importance, who do you think you are? Get a life, idiot!

And by the way, if LOCOG are reading this (I mean the decision guys, not you) then I want to take this oppurtunity to tell them what an absolute shambles they have made of the opening ceremony arrangements. To decide at such a late stage that the ceremony is too long is an absolute disgrace to the people who have given you their valuable time.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't dismiss them because they're professionals - that is 50 people who've been working for months towards a once in a lifetime opportunity - an opportunity taken from them not for creative reasons but due to the failure of political jobsworths.

Brekkie, the planners always OVER-plan knowing that they will have to remove a segment or two when they see the whole thing together (or for some unforeseen reason). Let's go back a litte...

Vancouver - Martin Short was supposed to have his own segment at Closing. He had to bail out at the last minute due to his wife's illness. (OK, so that's like the Mark Rylance thing now...)

Beijing - after the first dress rehearsal, they cut the Terra Cotta warriors sequence because it seemed too militaristic, given the other parts of the show that already utilized parts of the People's Army.

LA - The "Singing in the Rain" number (which, oddly enough, would've been very apropos for London now) was cut after the first rehearsal because it "wasn't ready enough."

It's par for the course. There are a few others (including some grand plans which never materialized) mentioned in my book. No need to feel sorry for those cut out. It's nothing personal. Sochi will have its cuts, Rio I am sure will have its cuts. Hey....that's just show biz!!

Hmmm

You have nothing to worry about Adrian. I am amazed at your professionalism and how you have managed to keep so tight lipped. You have said nothing that hasn't already been public knowledge...much to our frustration. :D

Oh do shut up you utter twerp. Talk about self importance, who do you think you are? Get a life, idiot!

And by the way, if LOCOG are reading this (I mean the decision guys, not you) then I want to take this oppurtunity to tell them what an absolute shambles they have made of the opening ceremony arrangements. To decide at such a late stage that the ceremony is too long is an absolute disgrace to the people who have given you their valuable time.

Quite right.

Throughout, FD/Adrian have been careful with their postings. With such an opportunity given, why on earth would they jeopardise this?

I think the LOCOG team should focus their attention on the mainstream press who have gone into much more detail...photos and all!! Shouldn't the LOCOG ceremonies and comms teams work more closely with the media in limiting the leaks and therefore 'save the surprise'??

You have said nothing that hasn't already been public knowledge.

This. If there's anything that has been said that hasn't already been public knowledge, it's things where you're clearing up misunderstandings in the press and setting things straight...essentially reporting the facts correctly rather than whipping up a frenzy as the papers have done. You'd think LOCOG'd be grateful for that. Go figure.

In other news, here is a dog:

p6UXG.jpg

To FDLondon, Adrianme17 and anyone else directly involved in the ceremonies:

LOCOG and L2012C staff (myself included) are aware of this thread and are monitoring the comments with interest. As per your volunteers agreement, on the subject of non disclosure, could I please ask you to refrain from commenting any further on the subject the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Opening and Closing Ceremonies.

Thank you.

Just read this. Geez who is this guy?? Some London 2012 staff who has nothing to do with the ceremony trying to police the internet for Boyle? Adrian and FD has done nothing wrong at all, everything they have said here are totally legit and nothing that we already don't know. And as BethnalGreen mentioned, this is so rude to warn them in public. Totally unnecessary.

FDLondon - clear your messages - I would like to PM you! Take care!

Cleared, Adrian.

I don't believe I've disclosed anything here that's not in the public domain (which is what that our volunteer's agreement says) or even speculated on anything that I think I might inadvertently give something away. And believe me, there are points where I've been sitting on my hands to avoid saying anything. I'm slightly surprised that with a week to go, LOCOG staff don't have anything better to do; including perhaps chasing down some of those openly taking pictures or stopping some of the very loose-lipped Facebook groups. However, since obviously, I don't want to lose my place, I'll stay schtum on this thread until 28 July. Sorry guys - enjoy the show when it comes!

Cleared, Adrian.

I don't believe I've disclosed anything here that's not in the public domain (which is what that our volunteer's agreement says) or even speculated on anything that I think I might inadvertently give something away. And believe me, there are points where I've been sitting on my hands to avoid saying anything. I'm slightly surprised that with a week to go, LOCOG staff don't have anything better to do; including perhaps chasing down some of those openly taking pictures or stopping some of the very loose-lipped Facebook groups. However, since obviously, I don't want to lose my place, I'll stay schtum on this thread until 28 July. Sorry guys - enjoy the show when it comes!

I don't think that there is a member on here that thinks that anyone posting here has given away 'secrets'. Sorry but Andrew and Locog badly misjudged this one! You guys have nothing to worry about - have a fab time next week and I know you will do us all proud. For those of us recording the show, please come on afterwards and tell us which ones you are so we all know lol :)

Cleared, Adrian.

You go FD. Have fun in the ceremony!

Whoever he is & whatever self imposed importance he believes he has = badly done mate - badly done.

I am amongst thousands of others who have dedicated nearly 140 hours of their time to this event of national importance (in the worst summer weather in living memory!). I'm incredibly proud of what we have achieved & the fantastic show we are going to put on! I have not blabbed at all but sadly have been continually let down by insiders leaking stories to the press and more importantly today - the photos of the rehearsals in the Sun et al.

I honestly do not know how you could publicly humiliate & belittle both of us in such a self-serving way.

A little foot note to you Andrew - I was at the first public debate about whether London should bid for the 2012 games back at RIBA in 2003 - that's how important London 2012 is to me! It's been a dream of mine to see the games in the UK since the games of Montreal captured my imagination as a small boy. And believe you me - you aren't going to spoil it for me now!

That's all folks! Enjoy the show!

Brekkie, the planners always OVER-plan knowing that they will have to remove a segment or two when they see the whole thing together (or for some unforeseen reason). Let's go back a litte...

Vancouver - Martin Short was supposed to have his own segment at Closing. He had to bail out at the last minute due to his wife's illness. (OK, so that's like the Mark Rylance thing now...)

Beijing - after the first dress rehearsal, they cut the Terra Cotta warriors sequence because it seemed too militaristic, given the other parts of the show that already utilized parts of the People's Army.

LA - The "Singing in the Rain" number (which, oddly enough, would've been very apropos for London now) was cut after the first rehearsal because it "wasn't ready enough."

It's par for the course. There are a few others (including some grand plans which never materialized) mentioned in my book. No need to feel sorry for those cut out. It's nothing personal. Sochi will have its cuts, Rio I am sure will have its cuts. Hey....that's just show biz!!

Your examples though are things being cut either due to personal circumstances or creative decisions - not because some faceless nobody wants every Londoner to get a good nights sleep.

It's an utter shame what Colonel Iredale did (and somehow I find it fishy that he claims he's involved with the ceremony -- has he ever mentioned that before?). OK, there was a time when I myself advised Adrian to be cautious about what he posts here because I didn't want him to endanger his participation in the ceremony. But apart from that, he, FDLondon and Kinetic really did a great job only teasing us and therefore they actually not spoiled everything, but rather increased our interest in the ceremony. As marblesnotincluded already said, LOCOG should rather be grateful for that instead of publicly reprimanding them.

And I guarantee you, Colonel and all the other self-proclaimed watchdogs: You'll have a hell of a lot more problems next week when the public rehearsals take place. Then it will be your smallest worry whether there are three volunteers out there posting teasers or simply impressions of their work and their anticipation on an internet forum.

I don't know what sickens me more. Watching the endless Illuminati conspiracies crap videos in Youtube (which make my life impossible to find vids about the actual games), or reading a bunch of whiners and complainers in the the public newspapers comments (comparing the show with The Hobbit, complaining that the show is not the true reflection of UK, etc.), which are judging a show we haven't even seen yet. How sad. Just like judging a book by it's cover.

I guess that, if they showed the "true" face of UK, according to them (drug dealers, beggars, Eastern European pickpockets, among other stupid things i read from their comments...) they would be more than happy and satisfied, isn't it? What a bunch of assholes...

Sorry if I sound pissed off with my comments, but i'm just dissapointed with people lately....despite the recent problems, I still have hope this show will be great. To adrianme and the others, please keep up the good work and don't let yourselves let down by what a gang of trolls say...

Err I was away for a while and only just got into this 'liking' posts, but what is with this 'you have reached your postive quota for the day' malarkey?

We only get a set number of "likes" a day - I think it's five for us Premies.

I miss not being able to vote down posts - lots of crap I disagree with, but I can't be bothered getting into a flame war..

By the way, I don't see a similar post from 'our friend' on Skyscrapercity'? What is that all about? Can I be the first to give Col. Iredale another roasting if he comes on again please? I'd like to say I wil be gentle but I can't guarantee it!

We only get a set number of "likes" a day - I think it's five for us Premies.

I miss not being able to vote down posts - lots of crap I disagree with, but I can't be bothered getting into a flame war..

I like your post and agree with you. In many ways, I miss the old forum. New technology is not necessarily better ;(

I don't know what sickens me more. Watching the endless Illuminati conspiracies crap videos in Youtube (which make my life impossible to find vids about the actual games), or reading a bunch of whiners and complainers in the the public newspapers comments (comparing the show with The Hobbit, complaining that the show is not the true reflection of UK, etc.), which are judging a show we haven't even seen yet. How sad. Just like judging a book by it's cover.

I guess that, if they showed the "true" face of UK, according to them (drug dealers, beggars, Eastern European pickpockets, among other stupid things i read from their comments...) they would be more than happy and satisfied, isn't it? What a bunch of assholes...

Sorry if I sound pissed off with my comments, but i'm just dissapointed with people lately....despite the recent problems, I still have hope this show will be great. To adrianme and the others, please keep up the good work and don't let yourselves let down by what a gang of trolls say...

I wanted to 'like' your post but appparently ran out of like quota! What the hell is that all about :( Anyway, liked your post! I'm fairly fed up with it all, but just biding my time until tha actual games when we can be ourselves!

Quite right.

Throughout, FD/Adrian have been careful with their postings. With such an opportunity given, why on earth would they jeopardise this?

I think the LOCOG team should focus their attention on the mainstream press who have gone into much more detail...photos and all!! Shouldn't the LOCOG ceremonies and comms teams work more closely with the media in limiting the leaks and therefore 'save the surprise'??

Agree!

Agree!

Adrian, I support you. Your posts keeps us excited for the upcoming OC, especially for those of us far away from UK, which cannot fully feel the atmosphere at this moment yet. Cheers!

We don't get commercials during the Olympics. If the US Newtworks decide to butcher it that's sad, but the BBC will show the whole thing from start to finish, no interrptions, live as it always does.

Maybe I'm a creature of habit, but after I saw the BBC's coverage of Athens, I missed NBC. The American brodcast feels so much more exciting to me -- even with commercials.

Just to clarify, I was doing graduate work in the UK, went to Athens for the first week of the Games and watched the second week of the Games on tv back in the UK.

On the up side, the BBC showed a lot of the Paralympics, which we rarely see in the US.

Archived