Opening Ceremony Spoilers *SPOILER ALERT!*

"Jude" is actually "Jules", John Lennon's son Julian. Paul McCartney wrote the song in 1968 to comfort Julian from the divorce of his parents John and Cynthia. And you know because of whom they separated? Exactly, because of Yoko Ono. So it comes full circle now -- first Yoko's Olympic opening performance in Torino in 2006, and now a song she was the cause for will be performed at the Olympic opening of London in 2012. ;)

Oh thanks. Fab. That gives it more context. "Imagine" or "When I'm 64" would've been my first choice, but I guess "Jude" is an easier, simpler sing-along number.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh thanks. Fab. That gives it more context. "Imagine" or "When I'm 64" would've been my first choice, but I guess "Jude" is an easier, simpler sing-along number.

He wouldn't have sung "Imagine" -- that's a John Lennon song.

But I would have liked "All You Need Is Love" as well, it has a stronger global, Olympic message than that consolation song for a small boy.

However, they will probably feature further Beatles songs at the closing ceremony. Just imagine the extinguishing of the flame to the tune of "Yesterday"! It would be a total tear-jerker.

He wouldn't have sung "Imagine" -- that's a John Lennon song.

But I would have liked "All You Need Is Love" as well, it has a stronger global, Olympic message than that consolation song for a small boy.

However, they will probably feature further Beatles songs at the closing ceremony. Just imagine the extinguishing of the flame to the tune of "Yesterday"! It would be a total tear-jerker.

For me, just no pop song at the end of the opening ceremony. Full stop. It just kills the moment.

guys - i was not going to come back on here - but with all the spoilers that ran this weekend - i feel the need to. some of what has been reported is correct - there are elements of truth in it. none of you know how this will all fit together (the history segment is mine and to be honest it works and is spectacular and moving). the historical elements of this have been over emphasised by the press and are a tiny part of it - rather than the whole. the segment is about british history but also about the evolution of mankind over the last millennium - it will have universal appeal and should talk to an international audience. as regards the other segments - I have seen elements of them but don't know how they will pan out. again don't get too hung up on the NHS - it acts a vehicle to this segment rather than the whole subject. the bmx segment (if they can pull it off) will be really beautiful. the athletes won't be seated. i spent 21 hours rehearsing one segment on Friday night - Saturday and Sunday - it really is coming together and the elements that we all thought impossible to do in 15 mins are now being done in that time. finally - Sir Paul and hey Jude = disappointing but inevitable as the Beatles are the Beatles and started the British domination of popular music.

I had a feeling this might have been the case.

I guess we have to think back to previous *leaks* of opening ceremony details, they don't always get it right and due to the fact that we get nothing more than drips and drabs, too much is made of small portions of a greater picture.

I imagine for instance, someone could have had the impression that the Sydney opening ceremony featured an ode to lawnmowers and a segment dedicated to the art of tap dancing.

Still very negative on the Hey Jude thing, it just doesn't fit.

For me, just no pop song at the end of the opening ceremony. Full stop. It just kills the moment.

I wouldn't generally say so. Good that Baron reminded of this performance. I don't think that this one killed the moment:

Possibly , but I think the whole concept of opening ceremonies have changed since then. In the 80s it was almost a case of *here's a stadium, lets put a few cultural performances on inside it*. They are now far more cohesive complete theatrical productions, so that final moment really is the climax of a larger show.

And Hey Jude , as far as I can tell, has no real connection to the event at all - unless it is the backdrop to an epic pyro display.

I'm just wondering if they will do any live links to the other live sites across London (a la Last Night if the Proms) They'll be 50,000 in Hyde Park and another 30,000 of us across the road from the Stadium in Victoria Park.

Possibly , but I think the whole concept of opening ceremonies have changed since then. In the 80s it was almost a case of *here's a stadium, lets put a few cultural performances on inside it*. They are now far more cohesive complete theatrical productions, so that final moment really is the climax of a larger show.

And Hey Jude , as far as I can tell, has no real connection to the event at all - unless it is the backdrop to an epic pyro display.

Well, Pavarotti & opera & Torino seemed to jell, but ending on "Nessum Dorna" seemed to end on a heavy note. I was pumped up just rewatching the clip Olympian2004 reposted re the LA 1984 Opening finale. I think "Jude" will lead to a mellow moment, and then as it draws to a close, it will come together. I mean. for anyone who doesn't want to watch Paul McCartney, just give me your ticket!!

I'm just wondering if they will do any live links to the other live sites across London (a la Last Night if the Proms) They'll be 50,000 in Hyde Park and another 30,000 of us across the road from the Stadium in Victoria Park.

Well, they may show them briefly, but really the center of the action is in Olympic Stadium. Anything happening elsewhere is just an adjunct to ground zero.

guys - i was not going to come back on here - but with all the spoilers that ran this weekend - i feel the need to.

some of what has been reported is correct - there are elements of truth in it.

I've managed to not see most of the reveals, but the bits and pieces I've read here and elsewhere prove to me that there are still several things that will happen and have not been 'leaked' - some of them are going to look wonderful, and some of them involve me! So readers can be assured that there's still a lot that will come as a surprise three and a half weeks from now (wow, so soon...)

Rich, I am now starting to plan on where to watch the live broadcast of the opening ceremony in public since the hope of getting any cheap last minute ticket diminishes as it gets nearer the day.

So where are the live sites that broadcast the ceremony? My preference is either Traf Sq or Olympic Park. Do you know if either has plan to have a public screening?

Trafalgar Square is only a Live Site for the Paras and the Olympic Park is locked down that night except for Ceremonies. Actually, it's locked down all the time unless you have a ticket for the Olympic Park or a venue within it.

The Live Sites for the Opening are Hyde Park (presumably where the concert is also going on?) and Victoria Park but no idea how they're organising entry to those or if it's just a case of showing up and hoping to get in. Some of the boroughs also have live sites but not all that many.

Trafalgar Square is only a Live Site for the Paras and the Olympic Park is locked down that night except for Ceremonies. Actually, it's locked down all the time unless you have a ticket for the Olympic Park or a venue within it.

The Live Sites for the Opening are Hyde Park (presumably where the concert is also going on?) and Victoria Park but no idea how they're organising entry to those or if it's just a case of showing up and hoping to get in. Some of the boroughs also have live sites but not all that many.

Thanks FD. Strange Traf Sq is only a live site for para?? What's going on there then during the Olympics??

I assumed it was to avoid too many people congregating there to watch key events. The Paras is unlikely to drive quite as many people onto the streets to watch.

I think I also read that some of the Houses are doing Opening Ceremony events but no idea which of them (if any) would still have tickets. I'm slightly out of the loop on this one (aside from what a couple of pals have told me they are doing) since I'm sorted for it. ;)

Shame the most prominent public square in London where we celebrated the winning of the bid will be left unused for the duration of the Games. Another H&S gone mad policy. How donI even go to Victoria Park, seriously. That place doesn't look very accessible to me. Grr

That's the thing that bothers me too. If you're going to close the OC with a singalong, it better have some meaning. "Hey, Jude" has no connection to the Olympics whatsoever. I'm sorry, but in my opinion it's a very poor choice.

That's the thing that bothers me too. If you're going to close the OC with a singalong, it better have some meaning. "Hey, Jude" has no connection to the Olympics whatsoever. I'm sorry, but in my opinion it's a very poor choice.

The abstract design on the ticket absolutely screams "Hey, Jude" to me. :P

Some pics I saw in the Skyscrapercity thread:

52-580x385.jpg

62.jpg

The first pic looks like an additional LED screen. Also, the second one seems to feature projections which look like flags

1fiveh.jpg

(this last pic is courtesy of MartinLeRoy)

U don't have to make it spoilers, Ik. More than half the people here flip back & forth between SSC and GB, so it wouldn't be a secret.

And I don't know what that "SaigonLover" was trying to point out about diff colored lights on the seats?? :blink: So what? They're testing all the lights...so why should that be something special. At some point or another, they're going ot hang some 200 flags around the rim of the stadium roof.

Archived