France vs. England

Boy, what an unattractive match. England hardly shot on goal, and France mostly made miserable attempts with distance shots. I must say that I'm very underwhelmed by this EURO so far. We see far too much defensive and ineffectual play. International football is really not at its best currently.

Not many shots but that was a fun match. Was expecting a (possibly heavy) defeat to be honest.

France like passing it in front of the defensive lines, but don't look like they've got a killer instinct (which is weird given their front 3). And our defence did well actually, forcing them to take long shots from outside the area for the most part. France really couldn't get through

A much better start and performance than I was expecting. I'm used to seeing England outpassed by continental teams, but that hardly matters if we make sure their passing doesn't do any damage.

I'm not joining the Oxlade-Chamberlain fan club yet. He reminds me of a player we had at Spurs a few years ago - Tarabt. Runs at players for fun but doesn't seem to do much with it. Young and Milner were more effective, but we are lightweight upfront without Rooney.

Happy enough.

Edited by RobH

Well i think a draw is the most logical score, even if i believe france played a little better!

Still i think England has more to be worry about that France at the moment! The French got them too easily at the off-side game, their possesion is way too low for such a team on paper and only 3 shots with all the possibilties they had (and just one on target) is really not enough!

But still they were quite solid and there is room for improvement!

I sort of agree, but as I said above England have never been good in posession. We've never been able to pass the ball around like Spain or France or Germany. Nobody should be shocked by this! And to be fair, both sides defended well apart from the goals.

It's good to know England can execute a game-plan like that though - it was a properly disciplined display which bodes well. Against Sweden and Ukraine I expect us to press forward more.

To be honest, I remember only too well the mess of an opening game against Algeria in the 2010 World Cup. This Euro 2012 match wasn't pretty by England but the team had a solid shape and knew exactly what it was doing; which frustrated France. That's why I'm happy enough with what I've seen - I think we have a good base to build on and Rooney will come into the team when his suspension's over and give us a bit more bite.

Are you happy with France? Everyone in England expected us to lose today, did everyone in France expect a victory Luffy?

Edited by RobH

.Why is the british anthem sung? I thought England uses "Hope and Glory" at Commonwealth Games - would it have been used if Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland had qualified?

Taken from Wikipedia:

Multi-sport events

Single sport events

• At international football matches, England uses "God Save the Queen" as the national anthem.
  • At international rugby union matches, England uses "God Save the Queen" as the national anthem whilst "Land of Hope and Glory"is the anthem played prior to kick off.
  • At international rugby league matches, England uses "God Save the Queen" as the national anthem.
  • At international test cricket matches, England has, since 2003, used "Jerusalem" as its entrance anthem.[2]
  • At international lacrosse matches, the England Men's team uses "God Save The Queen" and the Women's team uses "Jerusalem" as the national anthems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_anthem_of_England

Edited by Mainad

Taken from Wikipedia:

Multi-sport events

Single sport events

• At international football matches, England uses "God Save the Queen" as the national anthem.
  • At international rugby union matches, England uses "God Save the Queen" as the national anthem whilst "Land of Hope and Glory"is the anthem played prior to kick off.
  • At international rugby league matches, England uses "God Save the Queen" as the national anthem.
  • At international test cricket matches, England has, since 2003, used "Jerusalem" as its entrance anthem.[2]
  • At international lacrosse matches, the England Men's team uses "God Save The Queen" and the Women's team uses "Jerusalem" as the national anthems.

http://en.wikipedia....them_of_England

ahh o.k. - I didn't look it up on wikipedia - I just got the question into my mind, when I heard "God Save The Queen" before the match and I read somewhere that "Land Of Hope And Glory" is used for the Commonwealth Games...

Are you happy with France? Everyone in England expected us to lose today, did everyone in France expect a victory Luffy?

Well i can't say i'm very dissapointed. I knew they were afraid of a bad start, like in WC 2006 or Euro 1996 after two very dissapointing finals (or no finals at all) and that they wouldn't play that well. But still i thought they look solid for the most part in defense and the possesion was good & there is still room for aprovement in the last 30 meters but i have confidence in Ribery, Benzema & Giroud so it can go well but who knows ?

I don't think most people who knows about football or are real supporters of the french team really expected a victory. They obviously hoped for it but i think what they wanted was the team to play decently and not to loose. Besides, everybody knew England was a good side and despite a few problems in the build up to the euro they were going to put a big fight.

Of course in France it's quite strange compared to let's say England, Italy or Netherlands. if they loose, nobody cares about the team, when they start to score and be unbeaten for some time and everybody loves them and should they go far in the tournament everybody expected it and was sure of it, not a lot of real fans of the team.

So all this people who can't even explain what an off-side is and who thinks Chelsea is a cheese, are suddenly fans and you should read from them on forums or even in newspapers that France is going to win easily against England 4-0 but that we should pay attention to Uruguay or Mexico in this euro...

But i think the real fans are happy with the draw, they know France can start with two draw or be the group runner-up and still go very far.

I love our team because i think it's in world football what Norway is to eurovision. We are ridiculous way too much times, as much are they are last in the contest, but once a while the team is going to wake up and reach the final and even win the damn thing, like norway is going to win eurovision :D