Sign in to follow this  
Bezzi

Stadium progress

I notice that at the WC, the brandling on the interior facades is usually covered up y a kazillion homemade banners that fans bring into the stadium and the look gets sort of obscured.

• Like 1

I notice that at the WC, the brandling on the interior facades is usually covered up y a kazillion homemade banners that fans bring into the stadium and the look gets sort of obscured.

Oh hell yeah! That's what makes it so great...AND the loudest ones are the England supporters!

Oh hell yeah! That's what makes it so great...AND the loudest ones are the England supporters!

They will be shouted by angry Brazilians booing English team in every single match.

England is trying hard to have no support by locals.

Edited by Danny El Tico

To tell you the truth, I prefer all that grass roots participation and colour, and the more "home spun" decorations we're seeing in and over the streets, far more than any "official" look branding.

Stadium progress.

Curitiba's Arena da Baixada in 1995

At that time the name "Arena da Baixada" didn't exist. The stadium was know as "Estádio Joaquim Américo Guimarães"

10380659_760350947320880_359843349939335

Curitiba's Arena da Baixada for the World Cup in 2014

Arena11-1024x682.jpg

Salvador's Fonte Nova in 2009

fonte-nova.jpg

Arena Fonte Nova, 2013

8628692965_6f961b658b_b.jpg

Wow, you guys had some shitty stadiums before this. This World Cup has done wonders in terms of infrastructure.

• Like 1

To tell you the truth, I prefer all that grass roots participation and colour, and the more "home spun" decorations we're seeing in and over the streets, far more than any "official" look branding.

I can understand that. Particularly where the WC is concerned.

Wow, you guys had some shitty stadiums before this. This World Cup has done wonders in terms of infrastructure.

Not only about stadium. Brazil advanced a lot in the last 10 or 15 years (We, Brazilians, try to explain this here, but... never mind).

In terms of football infrastructure, the World Cup boosted a lot of projects. We already have some 3 or 4 nice stadiums, but from now on, I can count easily 16 or 17 big stadiums in the country that are comparable to stadiums in developed countries.

Not to mention many training venues for the World Cup were refurbshed and those were small clubs stadiums.

Presidente Vargas stadium in Fortaleza (to be used as Training Venue)

Before:

255381.jpg

Now:

11052013_pv2_820.jpg

Broadcast tests in Sao Paulo's Arena

10325724_690841164296941_110548661851251

10303783_690841184296939_891745347709150

• Like 1

Only to clarify, there was a refurbshment in 1997 and Arena da Baixada looked like this before the World Cup works.

Kyocera-Arena-10.jpg?58ed04

2294402205_1c9a0225e9_b.jpg

Beira Rio in Porto Alegre in the 90s

10310-beira-rio_velho.jpg

Now

PgAAAImWFi72RVkTAUHcWpXBpvQMDHj2mOxSZsCn

• Like 2

I havs to admit, although they have been an expensive exercise, those stadiums that have been built and even refurbished, are truly impressive! Well done Brazil. (And I don't care what all the critics think!) :)

• Like 2

Having a stadium in Manaus is a joke to begin with.

Yep a member of the FA is going there tomorrow to inspect the field he won't be happy. Even though the USA has a game there along with the usual american outlaw event they are having a huge viewing party in Natal for people that don't want to go. Too bad :(

Made an awesome TV series on Discovery though, probably gave the region a massive economical boost. A modern power supply, better water sanitation, and a modern eco friendly stadium....Yes it's the most isolated venue but the city and fans are just as raucous as the rest of that mighty country.

Would any Brazilians here like to comment of the current status of the field in Manausmanaus1.jpgmanaus2-238x300.jpg

The same grass thing again. Move on. They are doing this days before the game in every single stadium to make grass better...

The capital of a state inside a metro area with 2 million people, top 10 among richest cities in Brazil due a big industrial sector (one of the biggest in Southern Hemisphere).

I don't see your point.

Some people still wondering about Manaus like the city is a town with wooden huts in the border of Amazon river, in 21st century is a joke...

The modern Manaus International Airport have more international flights than many mid sized American cities some claim have chances to host Olympic Games like Tulsa or Baton Rouge... Just to start with.

• Like 1

Manaus is impossible to access by car. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to have four World Cup games there and build a massive stadium.

The same grass thing again. Move on. They are doing this days before the game in every single stadium to make grass better...

The capital of a state inside a metro area with 2 million people, top 10 among richest cities in Brazil due a big industrial sector (one of the biggest in Southern Hemisphere).

I don't see your point.

Some people still wondering about Manaus like the city is a town with wooden huts in the border of Amazon river, in 21st century is a joke...

The modern Manaus International Airport have more international flights than many mid sized American cities some claim have chances to host Olympic Games like Tulsa or Baton Rouge... Just to start with.

All this was brought up by ESPN

Flights to Manaus

Airlines Destinations Terminal American Airlines Miami 1 Azul Brazilian Airlines Belém-Val de Cans, Campinas-Viracopos, Cuiabá, Fortaleza, Porto Velho, Recife, Rio de Janeiro-Santos Dumont, Salvador da Bahia 1 Azul Brazilian Airlines operated by TRIP Linhas Aéreas Altamira, Barcelos, Belém-Val de Cans, Belo Horizonte-Confins, Boa Vista, Coari, Cuiabá, Eirunepé, Fonte Boa, Humaitá, Itaituba, Lábrea, Parintins, Porto de Trombetas, Porto Velho, Rio Branco, Salvador da Bahia, Santa Isabel do Rio Negro, Santarém, São Gabriel da Cachoeira,São Paulo-Guarulhos, São Paulo de Olivença, Tabatinga, Tefé 1 ConviasaaPorlamar 1 Copa Airlines Panama City 1 Gol Transportes Aéreos Belém-Val de Cans, Boa Vista, Brasília, Cruzeiro do Sul, Campo Grande, Cuiabá, Curitiba-Afonso Pena, Fortaleza, Foz do Iguaçu, Porto Alegre, Porto Velho, Recife, Rio Branco, Rio de Janeiro-Galeão, Rio de Janeiro-Santos Dumont, Salvador da Bahia, Santarém, São Luís, São Paulo-Guarulhos 1 MAP Linhas Aéreas Lábrea, Parintins 2 TAM Linhas Aéreas Aracaju, Belém-Val de Cans, Boa Vista, Brasília, Curitiba-Afonso Pena, Fortaleza, Miami, Porto Alegre, Porto Velho, Recife, Rio de Janeiro-Galeão, Salvador da Bahia, Santarém, São Luis, São Paulo-Guarulhos 1 TAP Portugal Lisbon 1 Total Linhas Aéreasa Carauari, Coari, Porto Urucu 2

a.^ Airlines operating regular charter flights.

Tulsa

Manaus is impossible to access by car. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to have four World Cup games there and build a massive stadium.

But Brazil is not North America where car is the king, where Interstate Highways are the national pride.

Actually, Manaus is accessible by car for all Northern Brazil and in direction of Southern Brazil by doing a huge detour... Or by using ferry boat unitl get in Para State.

All this was brought up by ESPN

Tulsa

International biased media again? No, thanks.

Tulsa what?

Manaus connects to

Porlomar, Venezuela (Conviasa),

Panama City, Panama (Copa Airlines),

Miami, USA (TAM and American Airlines)

Lisbon, Portugal (TAP Portugal)

Tulsa does not. It's easier to reach Miami from Manaus than from Tulsa.

PS: Air France might start Paris-Belem-Manaus soon.