Stadium progress

São Paulo looks nearly done. Visibly it should look done that'll probly be achieved the next few weeks. They all look pretty good to me now. Transportation would be my only concern, I really wish all the proposed vlt and monorails were built but they weren't. Brazilians like taking the Bus

Actually we don't lol but, sometimes, it's the only way. Thankfully in the last years there are many subway projects going on, besides those of monorails and vlts.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sao paulo is not 100% but it is not just the field and seats as Tony said. The entire road structure around is ready, the internal areas of the stadium as bathrooms, cabins are ready. The only thing missing is an extension of the roof and lining the joint. They are aesthetic details that don't cause any harm to the event. Anyway was already planned that the stadium would only be finalized (the way it was projected) after the world cup with the romoval of temporary structures. Even the screen is temporary. After removing those horrible stands will be installed the definitive double-sided screens. I think we will see much more beautiful Arena in the Olympic Games.

São Paulo looks nearly done. Visibly it should look done that'll probly be achieved the next few weeks. They all look pretty good to me now. Transportation would be my only concern, I really wish all the proposed vlt and monorails were built but they weren't. Brazilians like taking the Bus

Itaquera have suburban trains and subway stations really side by side with the stadium.

All media made reports showing the CPTM train special line for World Cup linking Downtown Luz Station and Itaquera station side of stadium and the 18 minute trips were a success.

Both Rio and Sao Paulo stadiums are very well conected by both trains and subways.

PS: It may sound weird I'm defending Sao Paulo, but the special scheme of trains (non-stop trips from Downtown to Stadium) was just brillant idea, I must admit.

The main thing is, is that 11 Stadiums will be fully ready and Arena Sao Paulo has a pitch and seats. Sao Paulo could of been in a better situation, but that's life. I'm sure Brazil will Host a brilliant World Cup. It came across wrong from me, but I've always wanted 2014 World Cup to be a success. So, progress:

Fortaleza: Castelao Stadium - Ready. Completed in December 2012, finished before deadlines, on time.

Belo Horizonte: Mineirao Stadium - Ready. Completed in December 2012, finished before deadlines, on time.

Salvador: Arena Fonte Nova - Ready. Completed in April 2013, missed deadline, but was ready for the 2013 Fifa Confederations Cup.

Rio de Janeiro: Maracana Stadium - Ready. Completed in April 2013, missed deadline, but was ready for the 2013 Fifa Confederations Cup.

Recife: Arena Pernambuco - Ready. Completed in May 2013, missed deadline, but was ready for the 2013 Fifa Confederations Cup.

Brasilia: National Stadium - Ready. Completed in June 2013, missed deadline, but was ready for the 2013 Fifa Confederations Cup.

Natal: Arena das Dunas - Ready. Completed in January 2014, missed deadline, but is ready for the 2014 Fifa World Cup. Temporary Seating installed later on.

Porto Alegre: Stadium Beira-Rio - Ready. Completed in February 2014, missed deadline, but is ready for the 2014 Fifa World Cup. Outside was finished later on.

Manaus: Arena Amazonia - Ready. Completed in March 2014, missed deadline, but is ready for the 2014 Fifa World Cup.

Cuiaba: Arena Pantanal - Ready. Completed in April 2014, missed deadline, but is ready for the 2014 Fifa World Cup. Wasn't fully done until May 2014.

Curitiba: Arena Baixada - Ready, Completed in May 2014, missed deadline, but is only just ready for the 2014 Fifa World Cup. Retractable Roof finished after the 2014 Fifa World Cup.

Sao Paulo: Arena Sao Paulo - Not Ready. Fully Completed after the 2014 Fifa World Cup. Main Structure in place, Temporary Seats will be ready, Lining done afterwards.

Main thing is, 11 out of the 12 Stadiums are ready, they all have Seats in place, most Roof structures ready, Pitch and Changing Rooms are ready. I only put 2 Stadiums were finished before deadlines, because Fifa like to see Stadiums ready 6 Months before the Tournament (So the 2013 Confederations Cup for the Fortaleza, Belo Horizonte, Salvador, Rio de Janeiro, Recife and Brasilia) and the 2014 Fifa World cup (For Natal, Porto Alegre, Manaus, Cuiaba, Curitiba and the unfinished Sao Paulo). Can't wait for 12th June.

Interesting how you've used a mix of past, present, and future tenses (Even though FIFA 2014 hasn't even begun :P)

But I have faith in Brazil. They'll probably have the whole thing ready in the bare nick of time, but will hold a successful games with a few bumps on the way.

The biggest failure for me are the unrealized transport projects. They don't affect me as I won't be attending the World Cup but initially I felt they could benefit the surrounding communities, so it's disappointing this legacy won't be reality.

Well, a small part of them will be ready after the World Cup and will benefit the population like the tram in Cuiaba or the metro of Salvador (in world cup it will work for people attending matches only)

The Line 17 Monorail of Sao Paulo was planned for the World Cup linking domestic airport to Morumbi Stadium (that won't host any matches). The operation starts next year and I will be very benefited from it.

I feel sorry about nice projects like the tram of Brasilia, monorail in Manaus and metro of Curitiba. Those projects were postponed to be restarted after World Cup and there is no news since then.

*Curitiba have the nice first BRT system of the planet and will deal really well with the World Cup, but metro is required for further growth of the city since BRT reached its full capacity some years ago.

No, Sao Paulo Arena is expected to be in the owner mode with 20, 000 seats less than the World Cup mode, indeed, because they will install huge permanent screens in the place where temporary stands are now.

Maracana a perfect venue for a #worldcup Final. Spacious, functional & an incredible ambience we saw at the #confeds

Great to see the #worldcup colours coming up in this mythic stadium. #jatemcopa

BolkonGIEAA44q2.jpg

From Valcke twitter

Our stadiums were like this before the world cup

Belo Horizonte, Estádio Mineirão

2106956.jpg
Brasília, Estádio Mané Garrincha
manhgx.jpg

Cuiabá, Estádio Verdão
0,,20925011-EXH,00.jpg
Curitiba, Arena da Baixada
19_estadio8.jpg
Fortaleza, Estádio Castelão
CastelaoVista.jpg
Manaus, Estádio Vivaldão
9c79f72f378d_09vivaldao_foto.jpg
Natal, Estádio Machadão
57433.jpg
Porto Alegre, Estádio Beira Rio
beirario.jpg
Recife, Estádio dos Aflitos (It's not in the same place, but it was used by the team that now uses the new stadium)
aflitos-vistaaerea.jpg
Rio de Janeiro, Estádio Maracanã
Maracana-Etadio-Rio-de-janeiro-discovery
Salvador, Estádio Fonte Nova
1109_fontenova.jpg
São Paulo, Estádio Morumbi (It is not in the same place, but was what the city had to offer, appointed by LOC as WC venue)
05-sp.jpg

Then we were chosen. I started posting pictures of works here in April 2012

SAL07.jpg

i'm partial to qatar's planned for 2022.

incidentally, that's also the date most of the stadiums in brazil will be complete enough to match their renderings.

^^^^

Despite some doubt, the world cup will take place in the next month and my work here is coming to an end.

Belo_Horizonte.jpg
Brasilia.jpg
Cuiaba.jpg
Curitiba.jpg
Fortaleza.jpg
Manaus.jpg
Natal.jpg
Porto_Alegre.jpg
Recife.jpg
Rio_de_Janeiro.jpg
Salvador.jpg
Sao_Paulo.jpg
The visual identity is property of FIFA, no commercial use.

I want to thank our friends from Brazil for their work on this thread. It has been an incredible journey from start to finish with these beautiful stadia. I do hope these structures have a productive post-WC life and that they do not turn into a bunch of white elephants. Way too much money was spent for these to just host four football matches and than be left to rot.

the before and after is amazing, that climate really does a number on concreate.

now everything looks new, my favorites are Sao Paulo and Belo Horizonte.

Brazilia was once a favotie but all this time I though it was going to get painted white, my fantasy I guess.

congratulation to Bezzi who kept up with updates........amazing job.......a picture is worth...you know. ^_^

I want to thank our friends from Brazil for their work on this thread. It has been an incredible journey from start to finish with these beautiful stadia. I do hope these structures have a productive post-WC life and that they do not turn into a bunch of white elephants. Way too much money was spent for these to just host four football matches and than be left to rot.

Thank you.
About white elephants, if you notice in the post above, the stadiums were built in the same place of the old stadiums. The only exceptions are Recife and São Paulo, cities that have traditional teams with big number of fans. Cuiaba and Manaus attracted many fans in test matches. It was a positive surprise but we have to wait to see how will be after the world cup.

the before and after is amazing, that climate really does a number on concreate.

now everything looks new, my favorites are Sao Paouo and Belo Horizonte.

Brazillia was once a favotie but all this time I though it was going to get painted white, my fantasy I guess.

congratulation to Bezzi who kept up with updates........amazing job.......a picture is worth...you know. ^_^

Thank you.
Of course we can't forget other colleagues who also contributed as Danyel and Tonny.
I agree with you about Brasilia. I think it was a mistake to paint the outside of the stands, creating a contrast with the columns. As they painted, they should also have painted the columns. During the night, with artificial lighting, the contrast is not so big and the stadium looks more beautiful
9529107589_f053e27154_b.jpg
From SSC forum

After all, the disaster didn't exist. All stadiums are ready for the World Cup (despite some roof revestment issue in Sao Paulo) and there will be a World Cup in Brazil.

Enjoy guys, be sure it'll be very unique.

Arena de Sao Paulo

10372009_607714839336083_512740128360158

10369736_298738506957289_340827012926072

10419393_250063225186373_413220359776752

10414457_298754010289072_877357180733650

10154430_250066931852669_353183736031395

Archived